Best new Phone for Rooting, Custom ROMS and random Fun!

This is a discussion on Best new Phone for Rooting, Custom ROMS and random Fun! within the X Phone General Discussions forums, part of the Moto X Phone category; I'm at the point with my DX that I pretty much need to get a new phone. My family uses verizon and we all chip ...

View Poll Results: What's the best currently available Verizon phone model for modding?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Droid Moto X

0 0%
  • Droid Ultra

0 0%
  • a different Motorola phone

0 0%
  • phone from another manufacturer

1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwalz

Thread: Best new Phone for Rooting, Custom ROMS and random Fun!

X Informant
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Question Best new Phone for Rooting, Custom ROMS and random Fun!

I'm at the point with my DX that I pretty much need to get a new phone. My family uses verizon and we all chip in on the bill so everyone saves a little.

I've be extremely happy with my DX over the past 3 years and especially in the last year since I've been trying out custom ROMS and non-marketplace software, which has frequently been far superior to stock. I also find CM7 much easier to use and with more available features than Motorola's stock OS. So naturally I've been leaning towards getting a new Droid model, maybe the Moto X or Ultra. Is there a site for those models of phones that would be the equivalent of this one for the DX? I learned most of what I know about my DX from here and from just fiddling with it (aka, breaking and then fixing).

Would either of those two models be more suited to using custom software and having fun tinkering? I know they're a lot newer so I'm concerned that I won't be able to find good ROMS or advice on how to use them.

Are there any other Android phones that might actually be a better option? Given how many things there are about the stock configuration of the DX that I dislike I'm hesitant to buy a new phone and either not be able to do many "fun" mods, or worse, be locked into using software that's not as easy to use as what I've had on my DX lately (pooka's CM7, MIUI, and Liberty ROM a bit). Upgrading to get a downgrade seems stupid.

I was also wondering if there might be another brand/model worth checking out, like the Nexus phone from Google, etc. I've actually never used anything but Motorola phones from the time of my first mobile phone so any advice from those who have would be much appreciated.

I don't really want to violate the new law about "jail breaking" but at the same time I believe if I pay for a piece of hardware I should be to muck around with it as much as I please.

What do you guys think? I'm sure a lot of you have moved up by now, even if you're using DX's as backups or second phones, so any tips you can share for someone in my position be great to hear.

Thanks in advance and another huge thank you for all the support and neat ideas I've gotten from this board over the past year or so.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 56.6%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicSunset View Post
    ...I don't really want to violate the new law about "jail breaking" but at the same time I believe if I pay for a piece of hardware I should be to muck around with it as much as I please.
    Jail breaking is iphone only term, which allows iphone users to have some root access like install apps from unknown sources, this feature is allowed on android devices, without any hacking, just check the box allow unknown sources. There is more here Jailbreak 101 ? Lesson 1: An Overview of Jailbreaking | TeachMeiOS.com
    With android devices it's just referred to as Rooting.
    Neither Jailbreaking or Rooting is illegal.

HTG Explains: What?s the Difference Between Jailbreaking, Rooting, and Unlocking?

There was a law passed making selling unlocking sim codes illegal, but you can still find sim unlock codes on ebay and several other sites online.
    Unlocking your cellphone is still illegal, and the FCC still doesn't like it | The Verge
    and
    Mobile phone unlocking has jumped 71 percent since it became illegal | VentureBeat | Mobile | by John Koetsier

as to a new phone, the moto x, looks like a good choice.

Super Mod Team Lead
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 44.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    You can find more info on the moto x at our sister site here http://www.motoxforums.com/forum/forum.php
    And on the ultra here http://www.razrforums.com

tap'd via mobile device

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    If you're looking for development, you can't go wrong with the s4. But if you decide to go moto the Moto X is suppose to be great. But not really much in terms of development because everyone loves it just stock. Because it just works. Also its almost stock Google with very little blur.

Note'd
    FreeMyMoto!!!
    If you need help PM me!!!
    Hey, Read these.--------------> "GUIDELINES OFCONDUCT"

Agent X
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I have the moto x. If you want to run custom Roms do not get it. There aren't any (ok maybe a couple) it is pretty good stock. Plus its on 4.4 now. It can be rooted thanks to jcase on that other x site. The Dev moto x has a pretty good choice of custom roms, but I'm not sure if one is offered for vzw. Not sure about the ultra but I would think there is more Dev work there since it follows the RAZR line. The Lg G2 is getting a lot of love right now from the devs and is a pretty slick phone.

Sent from my vzw moto X
    What rom do I run today??
    1kds SBF http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...-problems.html
    If you are in a state of "OMG I jacked my phone up". Go here for help.http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rescue-squad/

X Informant
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    What's the deal with new phones not supporting micro SD cards and having non-removable batteries? I used micro SD to hold music that I'd play on my DX, and obviously removing the battery is important for times when the phone locks up or you want to be sure it's off or just need more than one battery worth of use between charges. Are there workarounds for these issues or are we just losing features over time?

I saw the droid ultra and razr hd at the store last week and was comparing the two Other than the missing micro sd slot I like the ultra much better.
    Last edited by CosmicSunset; 12-24-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Banned
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I think only the iPhone should have a non remova ble battery and SD card. But I've adjusted well to having a non removable battery with my Droid RAZR and RAZR HD

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid X Forums

Banned
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I think the reason for the non removable batteries on the Droids is because they're becoming g so thin its hard to put a battery door on an ultra thin Droid

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid X Forums

Custom ROM with Cyanogen is the best phones to use as they are most popular and powerful too. Yu brand shall launch the new phone soon with Cyanogen installed with amazing space.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SanketUchil View Post
    Custom ROM with Cyanogen is the best phones to use as they are most popular and powerful too. Yu brand shall launch the new phone soon with Cyanogen installed with amazing space.
    Thanks for the suggestion here. I really am using the phone you have told here.

Remove Ads

Ads