It's time for a new phone.

This is a discussion on It's time for a new phone. within the Off-Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; The time has come. My DX has served me well, but the time has arrived to replace it. That being said, I need some help ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: It's time for a new phone.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 1.4%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

It's time for a new phone.

The time has come. My DX has served me well, but the time has arrived to replace it. That being said, I need some help choosing the new phone.

Carrier will be the big V.

Choices so far are split between the new S4 and a Razr Maxx HD for Android and an iPhone 5. (I know, haters will chime in)

Here are some things going through my head.

With regards to my iPhone thoughts it is merely for a few apps I do not get on Android and because I have multiple Apple devices in my house with family members. (iPad, iPad Mini, 2 touches and the wife unit has a 4S). The apps I do not have on Android are pretty big apps for me. When I need these Apps I have to use one of my other family members Apple devices. The makers of the app state that the Android versions are "In the works". The second reason for thinking iPhone is that I probably won't do anything to it. Hence, I won't have to worry about bricking it and fixing it like I will with the Android I get. This option though could work against me. Once I rooted my DX I loved messing with it. I'm not sure if I'll miss changing things like the ROM etc on an Apple device.

Android phones. I don't know the big differences between the two I listed. I figured they were the newest ones out and you guys may be able to point me in the right direction with either. I love my Android device. I like everything about it. I can not live with out my Google calendar. I currently use the pay version of Business Calendar and love it. I love having widgets. And I love not conforming to the hippies of Apple. I also love tinkering with my phone. I have not really touched the DX lately, still on a version of MIUI, but I'm almost certain if I get another Android I will research rooting and new ROM's etc.

One final thing. I need some sort of Hot Spot for the new device. I'm not sure where to go here. I am still grandfathered in with the Unlimited Data and I will not be signing a new contract with the big V. More then likely I will add a new line with the new phone and then switch it over to my current line.

All that being said I'm looking forward to your advice. Thanks a bunch guys and gals, I have really learned a ton about my device on this board. I hope if I stay with Android that where ever I end up has a forum as good as this one.
    Rocking the MIUI and loving it.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    There's nothing wrong with an iPhone if it'll serve your needs. If hardware matters to you, the iPhone 5 is way behind many current android phones, like the s4 or the DNA (which I currently have). Most I iPhone fans I know don't really like to tinker with their phones like I do. So if you'll be satisfied with it as is out of the box, go for it.
    I haven't seen the s4 in person, but I think the previous Samsung phones have had a cheap plastic feel I could never get over. The droid x is a tank, so it's hard to find an equally solid phone. I landed on the DNA myself and I'm very happy with it. I'd say the maxx's advantage is the battery, but I get 24+ hours on my DNA and the only time I've been away and ran out of battery is when I've been wanting to see how far I can push the battery.
    But if you want something that will most likely have a big dev following, aim for the s4. I'd only seen specs on it, but I'd say the S4 or the DNA would be Verizon's most powerful phones currently. The DNA is locked down extremely tight at the moment with no hope in sight, if that matters.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Droid X Forums
    Intimdtr77 likes this.

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrapped View Post
    There's nothing wrong with an iPhone if it'll serve your needs. If hardware matters to you, the iPhone 5 is way behind many current android phones, like the s4 or the DNA (which I currently have). Most I iPhone fans I know don't really like to tinker with their phones like I do. So if you'll be satisfied with it as is out of the box, go for it.
    I haven't seen the s4 in person, but I think the previous Samsung phones have had a cheap plastic feel I could never get over. The droid x is a tank, so it's hard to find an equally solid phone. I landed on the DNA myself and I'm very happy with it. I'd say the maxx's advantage is the battery, but I get 24+ hours on my DNA and the only time I've been away and ran out of battery is when I've been wanting to see how far I can push the battery.
    But if you want something that will most likely have a big dev following, aim for the s4. I'd only seen specs on it, but I'd say the S4 or the DNA would be Verizon's most powerful phones currently. The DNA is locked down extremely tight at the moment with no hope in sight, if that matters.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Droid X Forums
    Great insight, thank you!

You nailed it with saying the DX is a tank. I have dropped it tons of times. it has a few ding in thep lastic, but the screen is still in pristine shape. I know I'm going to miss that feature.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    727 times
    Nothing wrong with my Note2. I put it in an Otterbox like my DX was and good to go.

Sent from my Note2...
    "I stopped reading dystopic novels a long time ago. If I want bleakness and despair, I can look at my checkbook." - Solomon Short

"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing / Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master / Master
    " - Metallica

DX Forums "Guidelines of Conduct"

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Using a Sammy was a change, but they feel right very quickly. The Razrs are durable, as my wife has used hers for a year without breaking anything. Solid as ever. It's a good thing to have choices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Intimdtr77 likes this.
    "FEZ aims to create a non-threatening world rich with ambiance,

a pleasant place to spend time in."

X Operative
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Just wanted to chime in, I replaced my droid x with an iphone 4s and now a iphone 5. Im looking to get a new droid phone just for a change and to see where the android develpment has gone since i havent been around. let me say this first, I was a die hard android fan i would say i hated iphones all day everyday but little did i know the iphone was actually an amazing device. I noticed you mention the things about custom roms and you might miss that i can tell you that jailbreaking is no longer about free apps anymore the iphone developers are very good at making the phone completely diff similar to roms. No you dont upload a full rom but there is so many themes and tweaks at such high resolution its a blast tinkering. and the tweaks some of the devs come up with are amazing. Im wanting to get another android device to see if i cant make some of the things ive seen on the iphone possible on an android device. back when i had my X i would say almost all things i downloaded as far as roms were for look and maybe a small performance gain. But with my iphone i had tweaks that enabled me for example to swipe my status bar left and right to adj the brightness which was the most convenient thing ever. or triple press my home buttom from anywhere including the lock screen to open my flash light. These are some of the tweaks my iphone had and i dont remember ever having anything like that in the android world. I guess my point was you can deff still tinker around with themes,tweaks ect with an iphone and i have nothing bad to say really about my iphone5 I think it would make you a great phone
    Intimdtr77 likes this.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I went from the X to the Maxx HD. If you want to replace a tank with a tank it's the way to go.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2
    Intimdtr77 likes this.

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mx750 View Post
    Just wanted to chime in, I replaced my droid x with an iphone 4s and now a iphone 5. Im looking to get a new droid phone just for a change and to see where the android develpment has gone since i havent been around. let me say this first, I was a die hard android fan i would say i hated iphones all day everyday but little did i know the iphone was actually an amazing device. I noticed you mention the things about custom roms and you might miss that i can tell you that jailbreaking is no longer about free apps anymore the iphone developers are very good at making the phone completely diff similar to roms. No you dont upload a full rom but there is so many themes and tweaks at such high resolution its a blast tinkering. and the tweaks some of the devs come up with are amazing. Im wanting to get another android device to see if i cant make some of the things ive seen on the iphone possible on an android device. back when i had my X i would say almost all things i downloaded as far as roms were for look and maybe a small performance gain. But with my iphone i had tweaks that enabled me for example to swipe my status bar left and right to adj the brightness which was the most convenient thing ever. or triple press my home buttom from anywhere including the lock screen to open my flash light. These are some of the tweaks my iphone had and i dont remember ever having anything like that in the android world. I guess my point was you can deff still tinker around with themes,tweaks ect with an iphone and i have nothing bad to say really about my iphone5 I think it would make you a great phone
    Where did you learn this tweaking? I'm assuming there is a forum out there to learn from. I'm all about learning and pushing the envelope. At the very least I am holding off until the new S4 rugged will be out this summer.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Keep in mind while the plastic on the S3/etc may feel cheap it does indeed serve a purpose. It has a better chance of shock absorption when dropped which actually makes it a fair bit tougher than many of the unibody other phones out there.

As well Samsung is just about the only manufacturer still putting out phones with removable batteries and SDCards, important features IMO.

Lastly, if you like development honestly the S3 is second only to a Nexus in terms of amount of development and quality of development. In fact in some ways I would argue it is better, as you have a choice of AOSP or TW ROMs, and polish is getting very high on most of the ROMs (AOKP runs better on my S3 than my N7 for example). Its an advantage of having a phone that's just so popular and one of the main reasons I gambled and rolled the dice on an S3 for my phone. I'm sure the S4 will be similar, although watch out for Verizon attempting to lock the bootloader again of course I'm sure.

Any who, just thought I'd throw in a few points for another device to confuse you more.

Super Mod Team Lead
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    It seems Verizon won't be the only one..

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/29...ed-bootloader/

Btw I ordered a friend S3 due for upgrade thru Amazon..

$9.99 with a new 2 yr..

Noted📝2x..
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads