How to remove an OTA update before it installs?

This is a discussion on How to remove an OTA update before it installs? within the Off-Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Guys, I am sorry because I now have a new Android 4 device and it is not a Droid, it is a Samsung Galaxy Tab ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How to remove an OTA update before it installs?

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Post How to remove an OTA update before it installs?

Guys,

I am sorry because I now have a new Android 4 device and it is not a Droid, it is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113. But people here are smart and helpful as hell. Goose306 and 1KDS have helped so much that I could never repay them in full. I tried posting here on galaxytabforums.net, I got plenty of views, but not a single reply to what would here be a simple issue. People here make the galaxytabforums.net folks look like hayseed dummies.

Oh, here is my Device Info screenshot if it helps. Hey, if somebody knows what the new update is, will it ruin root, and is there a way to retain or reinstall root, please help.

Can someone with a brain either answer this for me or please, please refer me to a Galaxy Tab 2 forum that has intelligent, helpful, and friendly people. Thank you all for providing SO much help over the years. I really miss this place, but I now have a Droid Razr Maxx and this is a Droid X forum. So sad.

I know this post is technically off topic for this forum, but I don't know where else to go.

G'night guys.
    ~Ohmster
    Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, WiFi

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Well I do not have aGTab just so you know but this is my guess

1. I'm sure you'll be able to regain root since it is samsung

2. On the DX you can clear the cache and the OTA will be deleted, then you just freeze updater and you'll be good. Granted this is a moto phone so it could be different

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    FreeMyMoto!!!
    If you need help PM me!!!
    Hey, Read these.--------------> "GUIDELINES OFCONDUCT"

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 21.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    Could it be the jelly bean update? Does it say anywhere in the gtab forums about losing root if you take the update?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey guys, thanks for answering. 1KDS did tell me to wipe the cache. I did it like he said with CWM, reboot and wipe cache. There was an update.zip file in /cache/Froto or some kind of short word starting with F and there it was. I renamed it with a .bak and that did not help get the reminders away. Then I wiped the cache per 1KDS and the cache was now empty but for a log and lost+found, still getting update now or postpone messsages for downloaded update.

Samsung Galaxy Tab - Galaxy Tab2 Forum sucks, they people do not discuss in depth stuff like we do here, nor do they answer what I would have thought to be a simple question. I will have to look around for a better tab forum. Not only do I want the nag message to go away, I want to know what this update is, maybe it is jellybean and is good, but then again, what about keeping root?

You guys did all you could, thank you. I will find a better forum and report here when I get it figured out, just to say thanks. At least this forum sends mail when someone replies, I get nothing from galaxytab, maybe because no one replies. Time for a new forum.

Take care guys.
    ~Ohmster

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maybish View Post
    Could it be the jelly bean update? Does it say anywhere in the gtab forums about losing root if you take the update?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Maybish, hah, you real photo looks just like your moderator image and you are from New Jersey too! I graduated Hackensack High School in '77. It is so nice here in droidx, I have real friends here and can tell. Not like the tab forum at all. I will post my real picture to be fair.

paul_5-24-12.jpg

I don't know if this is the Jellybean update or not, they seem pretty stupid at the forum I picked, I will find a better one. Thanks Maybish, you are one of the good guys. Most people on here are.
    Last edited by ohmster; 08-25-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~Ohmster

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Solved! [How to remove an OTA update before it installs?]

Just to stop people from wasting valuable time, I got my answer on another forum and have the issue fixed. It is not really a Droid issue but it is for Android 4 in general. A guy on androidforums.com found a temporary fix and once I had that, I finished it.

Original Post

I did stop the updates, my tab is rooted, with Titanium Backup. I froze the "Software update v3_1205_3_2(2)" in Titanium Backup. Previously I froze "Software update 1.0" but this did not stop the nag screen. Since one fellow had luck stopping the updates in the Applications Manager, I think that freezing it will stop it for good, until I can find out what this update is, will it stop root, and how to re-root once done. I did this in Titanium Backup and it worked.

Screenshot

Thanks everybody for pitching in!
    ~Ohmster

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 21.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmster View Post
    Maybish, hah, you real photo looks just like your moderator image and you are from New Jersey too! I graduated Hackensack High School in '77. It is so nice here in droidx, I have real friends here and can tell. Not like the tab forum at all. I will post my real picture to be fair.

paul_5-24-12.jpg

I don't know if this is the Jellybean update or not, they seem pretty stupid at the forum I picked, I will find a better one. Thanks Maybish, you are one of the good guys. Most people on here are.
    Thank you!

So no one has been able to tell you what the update is? Maybe its just a hardware fix. But I'm gkad yyou figured it out. Titanium backup has saved lots of people here from getting updates. I have a xoom and have been updated to jellybean for at least a month now. Which is why I was thinking you were getting Jb. Anyway hope you can figure it out!

****Mays galaxy 3****

X Informant
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 5.1%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    4.0.4 is ICS (Ice cream sandwich)

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    moved to off topic
    Post Script:
    We have nothing to fear but runnig out of beer/*****|*****\
    Nemo Aeternamn Wallpapers

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by maybish View Post
    Thank you!

So no one has been able to tell you what the update is? Maybe its just a hardware fix. But I'm gkad yyou figured it out. Titanium backup has saved lots of people here from getting updates. I have a xoom and have been updated to jellybean for at least a month now. Which is why I was thinking you were getting Jb. Anyway hope you can figure it out!

****Mays galaxy 3****
    Maybish, so nice to hear from you again. No, not sure what the update is. I think it came down pretty quick and am not sure how to tell without doing it. But then I would lose root, sure as it rains in the jungle, and I know nothing at all about rooting a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, GT-P5113 on Jellybean. I am not going to take OTA updates anymore, that is why I shut them off. Although I know very little about tablet PCs, I do really enjoy this one, got it sort of as a present. I am an electronic tech and now do my own PC/networking/webmaster work on the side, I incorporated to make it legal. One of my best customers takes $100 2 hour lessons often, besides having me do all of her tech and computer work for her. She wanted a tablet to take with her to visit her sick mom in Vancouver, but we have already been through "The Apple Thing" where she has a PC and then goes and buys an iPhone, not even the one with Siri (Voice command female assistant) on it. Making that thing work with a PC sucks, you are stuck with iTunes and all the DRM and restrictions that go with it. Nothing at all cool about hacking it or doing what you want like Android and PC, so she got the tablet I have. She paid me to teach her how to use it, I liked it, she paid me $600 to board her dog while she travels, so I bought the tablet, seeing as how this was about the only way I would be able to get one. So now I am a tablet geek too!

(Oh my, we are in a tropical storm here in South Florida, power just blinked out. Thank God for UPS battery packs! The PC and this post survived. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I tend to be a bit "chatty".)

I cannot get enough of this tablet, it is cool as all get out! Rooting was a priority, then I discovered the free app, Wireless Tether for Root Users and I am now in Hog Heaven! This thing does *exactly* what it says it does, and I have unlimited 4G data on Verizon, thanks to being signed up before they stopped offering it. Tap your phone screen and then *poof*! Your tablet is now online, anytime, anyplace, and at broadband speed. I can easily watch HD TV and Movies on Netflix with this wireless tether and do not have to pay the $20 a month, use it or not, on my phone bill every month.

Strange that I am talking about tablets on dxforums, I hope no moderator kicks me out for it, but I have *real friends* here, good ones, developers that really have gone out of their way to help and make me feel welcome. This is hard to give up and I do still have a Droid phone. You are a good friend too.

I learned a LOT about rooting and ROMs right here, from 1KDS and Goose306. If you are bored and want to read the story, I shared it with someone who helped me and needs general root and ROM advice on another forum. Read it here if you want. If you read that, you will understand why I will not take OTA updates and will take Jellybean when another GT-P5113 user takes and roots it first. Then I can download the zip file manually and update my tablet. If I am lucky, there will be an already rooted ROM available or at least a root procedure and files available before I make the leap.

Hey Maybish, going from Froyo to Gingerbread was less than spectacular for me as I had not idea of what the various versions were. But updating to ICS was a HUGE big deal. At first, I was not sure I liked it, some of the stuff was gone but I quickly learned how to use it and how much better it was. For instance, you can now stack desktop shortcuts to make "drawers" that take up a single icon space, yet can contain all of the admin tools I need, the wireless tools I need, the games, well, I need two drawers for those, but you get the idea.

Is Jellybean like *way* much different than Ice Cream Sandwich? Is it *way* much better like the way ICS 4 is way better than Gingerbread 3 was? When people like you tell me and give me links to see such things as screenshots, features, rooting instructions, and files, this is how I learn and then I do the same for other newbies and that is how we all learn. Besides, geeks like us thrive on learning new stuff about our devices. It sort of "gets you high" on something that hardly anybody else can appreciate. Being a geek does have it's advantages.

Alright, I probably have talked your ear off by now, and besides, I will admit it, yes I think that you are a really cool chick. Goodnight. And if you have the time, tell me about Jellybean please. Links will work, you do not have to type your fingers off. Thanks!

OMG, we have a tablet forum here! Step aside Ma'am, I have some registering to do!
    Last edited by ohmster; 08-27-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: more data
    ~Ohmster

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads