How to remove an OTA update before it installs?

This is a discussion on How to remove an OTA update before it installs? within the Off-Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Originally Posted by Goose306 The ROMs are pre-rooted. No need to apply any sort of rootkeeper program or re-root. When you flash the new ROM, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How to remove an OTA update before it installs?

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post
    The ROMs are pre-rooted. No need to apply any sort of rootkeeper program or re-root. When you flash the new ROM, it will already be rooted.

You should be installing custom ROMs via CWM. With most Sammy devices you can also flash via Odin, but it needs to be in a tarbell format and it also increases your binary flash counter. So its better to just with CWM with the standard .zip packages. Make sure you read the OP of the thread where you get it from for flash instructions. Also, AOSP-based ROMs will require a gapps (Google Apps) package, they are not packaged with the ROMs due to legal reasons (CyanogenMod was hit with a C&D from Google when it first started up) because gapps are proprietary and not open-source from Google.

CyongenMod 9.x is ICS. CyanogenMod 10 is JB. So; flashing 9.x will work, but you won't get the benefits of JB. (Google Now, Project Butter, enhanced notifications, etc) Regardless you will be moving off the bloated Touchwiz base and moving into AOSP territory. Generally, ICS is going to be more stable than JB for most devices at this time if you don't have official JB (Samsung hasn't updated your device to JB); however this is device dependent. For example, on my GSIII JB AOSP runs just as good as ICS AOSP; so all current development for AOSP is really focused on JB as there is no reason to really work on ICS anymore; its outdated. This isn't true for all devices though. You really have to read up on the forums for where the ROM(s) are located to find that out.

If you want ICS, CM9 will work great for you. 9.1 will be newest, and if it says stable I'd go for that. If you want JB, I'd pick up one of those I sent to you awhile ago. I found CM10 and AOKP currently for JB on your device, my personal preference is AOKP between the two. Both are source built from AOSP, and they share a fair bit of code between them. CM tends to be more minimal with some light tweaks on AOSP, AOKP is more heavily re-skinned with a lot more tweaks generally, although both are still doing a fair bit of work on re-coding all their tweaks to JB at this point (there's no RCs for either really on JB yet)
    Goose!

Thanks for showing up man. A party is just no fun if the right friends are a no show. Uh, a few things here.

This is an edit, I had to come back and clear up some stuff before you get fed up with reading so much. Uh, before we get too far into this, you mention I should be reading these links that you have sent me, like for the why to ROM and stuff like the new ROMS available, what they offer, how far along they are, bugs, not working yet, etc., and I cannot find any links all the way through this post. Did you really send me links? Where? I know that *you* found the stuff I should be reading, but I haven't seen it and would really like to read up so I do not have to ask you so many "stupid" questions, redundant questions, etc. I would like to see the cyanogenmod web pages so that I can read up on it. What I am seeing is in CWM, under "Download ROM". I can see the available ROMs and download them, but I do not get the URL to the page, nor are there any URLs to instructions, FAQ,, How To, etc. Where is this stuff? I am sure it is all over the place but you know "where the good stuff is" and that is where I want to go, not waste time on a bunch of knuckleheads asking "Will this Samsung ROM work on my iPad?" and other dumb stuff like that. If you can send me a few educational links to the stuff we are discussing, we can squelch a LOT of the radio noise that is in this channel and get right to the meat and potatoes.
    What do you say, Goose, want to go that route instead of constantly answering questions to inch me ever closer to what I need?

I thought that I would try something really simple in CWM and install a new font, how big a deal can that be? I do it in Windows and Linux all the time and it does not even require a reboot, much less is it complicated. I downloaded the zip file but to install it, look at what CWM is giving me:

ROM Pre-Installation
    ---------------------------------------
    Backup Exisiting ROM
    Wipe Data and Cache
    Wipe Dalvik Cache (checked)
    Cancel OK

I really have to wipe the entire tablet, cache, factory reset, and go back to ground zero just to install a new font? They got to be kidding me! No? I need an education, dude, FAST, so we can have more inteligent conversations. Help me Goose. Send me some good links to bookmark and read please.

Yes, I have CWM, working, and would like to stay with that platform for ROMing. Uh, the way CWM offers downloads, they are ROM format, I downloaded a font pack, thought that would be an easy install, and was shocked at what I got. I really do not get to "see the web page with instructions" when I grab the CWM ROMS through CWM. Perhaps I need to google out the source of these pages and read them more thoroughly. on my sdcard in the clockworkmod dir, I found a bunch of stuff in the download folder. (I give up and will use the term "folder" instead of the standard Linux directory term.) There are 12 62 byte numerical files, no clue what they are. If opened by text, they seem to be huge lists of cyanogen mods. There is a developer folder, in that is a download folder again, in that is an 4 digit number folder, in that is another 4 digit number folder, finally, a FontpackICS zip file. I think I can install that with, what, CWM?

My whole point was really to get Jellybean, but since it is really not ready for prime time on Sammy, I will wait for it. I would like to go AOSP, but want the google stuff. Not sure how to get gapps, where do I find this?

I am not as dumb as I appear to be, remember I am a 25+ year crack-shot electronic tech, digital and analog, including microprocessor. I actually know how a computer works, step by step, part by part. I know Windows and Linux, inside and out, but the phone stuff stymies me with all the new acronyms. I will now have to go back through all of your posts to list them and make a reference sheet.
    ASOP - Android Open Source Project
    AKOP - S0mething similar, but not quite? Give up Touch Wiz and get AKOP, so this must be a desktop of sorts, no?

The one thing that scares me a bit is that to install a ROM, I will have to wipe the entire tablet, all caches and factory reset. I learned this the hard way by skipping it last time I rooted. I ended up having to do it anyway, even after being STRONGLY advised that it would be a good thing to wipe it all.

Caches. These things have more caches than a pirate has gold. What the hell are all of these caches and what happens when wiped? I am talking about two main ones, I think. Download cache, and this "dalvik cache", what is it and what does it do?

I *love* CWM, Google backup, and of course Titanium Backup. I am at the point where I am quite pleased with the stuff I have installed and would hate to lose it all, not be able to restore it, or worse, lost it all and not have a list of what I had so that I could go out and look for and install it again.

So, if I install a new ROM, I have to wipe everything? Then I am stuck with a cool tablet with no jellybean yet, but open source android and ice cream sandwich which would be very cool. But, now I need to find this google pack and install that too? Will I be able to use ANY of the backup and restore methods that I have setup to restore my stuff? Since I will be restoring to a totally new system, it stands to reason that my restore effort could to far more damage than good if it install data and apps in the wrong places. I think I have the option to restore apps with Titanium, but not system data. Would that be safe to use? Would Google put back my contacts and personal info?

Since restoring everything I had by hand is something I look forward to like a case of syphilis, I would rather just wait for the real JB to show up if it is going to be this big of a deal. I am one of those anal guys that has to "put it all back at once". Meaning I will be sitting here for over 6 hours, just putting in apps, user names, passwords, and setting things up and I think that not even 6 straight hours is enough to do all that. Some of these apps I paid for and really do not want to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post
    If you want ICS, CM9 will work great for you. 9.1 will be newest, and if it says stable I'd go for that. If you want JB, I'd pick up one of those I sent to you awhile ago. I found CM10 and AOKP currently for JB on your device, my personal preference is AOKP between the two. Both are source built from AOSP, and they share a fair bit of code between them. CM tends to be more minimal with some light tweaks on AOSP, AOKP is more heavily re-skinned with a lot more tweaks generally, although both are still doing a fair bit of work on re-coding all their tweaks to JB at this point (there's no RCs for either really on JB yet)
    Now that CM10 sounds really interesting but no RC status on them yet. What, in your opinion, is the level of completion that they are at? 80%, 65%, many functions will be lost, camera perhaps? Or do you think they are complete enough to warrant a go at them? I can always do a CWM backup prior to trying this so if it is totally unacceptable, I can just restore my backup and everything should be as it was, yes? I want whatever you are using, AOKP I guess because it will be the best of what they make because it is more customized. But to go through all of this only to find it is not really functional would be a major buzz kill. This is why I do not use beta software anymore. I want to see that link to CM10 if you have it handy please.

So what do you think, am I too paranoid, lighten up and give it a go, or just wait for what I really want and get it done then?

Thank you my budness, I have to go shopping, install Netflix for mom, and finally eat some dinner. Time to go. Will be watching this thread intently. 'night!
    Last edited by ohmster; 09-09-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Additional question
    ~Ohmster
    Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, WiFi

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmster View Post
    Goose!

Thanks for showing up man. A party is just no fun if the right friends are a no show. Uh, a few things here.

This is an edit, I had to come back and clear up some stuff before you get fed up with reading so much. Uh, before we get too far into this, you mention I should be reading these links that you have sent me, like for the why to ROM and stuff like the new ROMS available, what they offer, how far along they are, bugs, not working yet, etc., and I cannot find any links all the way through this post. Did you really send me links? Where? I know that *you* found the stuff I should be reading, but I haven't seen it and would really like to read up so I do not have to ask you so many "stupid" questions, redundant questions, etc. I would like to see the cyanogenmod web pages so that I can read up on it. What I am seeing is in CWM, under "Download ROM". I can see the available ROMs and download them, but I do not get the URL to the page, nor are there any URLs to instructions, FAQ,, How To, etc. Where is this stuff? I am sure it is all over the place but you know "where the good stuff is" and that is where I want to go, not waste time on a bunch of knuckleheads asking "Will this Samsung ROM work on my iPad?" and other dumb stuff like that. If you can send me a few educational links to the stuff we are discussing, we can squelch a LOT of the radio noise that is in this channel and get right to the meat and potatoes.
    What do you say, Goose, want to go that route instead of constantly answering questions to inch me ever closer to what I need?

I thought that I would try something really simple in CWM and install a new font, how big a deal can that be? I do it in Windows and Linux all the time and it does not even require a reboot, much less is it complicated. I downloaded the zip file but to install it, look at what CWM is giving me:

ROM Pre-Installation
    ---------------------------------------
    Backup Exisiting ROM
    Wipe Data and Cache
    Wipe Dalvik Cache (checked)
    Cancel OK

I really have to wipe the entire tablet, cache, factory reset, and go back to ground zero just to install a new font? They got to be kidding me! No? I need an education, dude, FAST, so we can have more inteligent conversations. Help me Goose. Send me some good links to bookmark and read please.

Regarding CWM, its pretty easy. As far as installing fonts most install them automatically. If you are downloading via ROM Manager, and it is giving you a .zip, that .zip is to install via CWM. For installing a font, you should probably just wipe your cache and call it good.

In your case, your going for the whole shebang, so we're doing a ROM. Here's precisely what I do every time I do a ROM flash to make sure I have a happy system coming out the other side.

First, do your pre-flash stuff. What this means is update your backups of your apps in Titanium (user apps ONLY, no system apps - just apps you've downloaded) make sure all your other stuff is synced to the Google servers (contacts, etc).

Go ahead and boot into CWM.

Make a backup in CWM if you wish (this will allow you to return to your previous point if you don't like where you go)

Wipe data/factory reset (depending on the version of CWM it may be worded slightly differently, but if you see where it says wipe data or factory reset, do it)
    Wipe cache (again, depending on version if may be worded slightly differently)
    Wipe dalvik (again, wording - it will be located under the "Advanced" section of the main menu on CWM)
    Wipe system (it will probably say format system, regardless - it should be under the "Mounts and Storage" section of the main menu on CWM)

Now go to install .zip from SDCard.
    Browse to your ROM file. (.zip)

Choose the .zip and accept it.

After it finishes go back to install .zip from SDCard.
    Browse to your gapps file. (.zip)

Choose the .zip and accept it.

Now reboot out. The device will boot, once its booted you will go through the setup prompts (adding your Google account, etc.) when it gives you the option to sync your Google account DO NOT sync as it will download all your apps from the market - worthless time waster as we will do via Titanium.

Once your in, open Play Store. Get Titanium Backup. As I said ROMs are pre-rooted, so just grant it Superuser when it prompts. Go ahead and do the batch restore of USER APPs only.

And... you're done. Time to get to tweaking/messing with settings and playing in your new playground.

Yes, I have CWM, working, and would like to stay with that platform for ROMing. Uh, the way CWM offers downloads, they are ROM format, I downloaded a font pack, thought that would be an easy install, and was shocked at what I got. I really do not get to "see the web page with instructions" when I grab the CWM ROMS through CWM. Perhaps I need to google out the source of these pages and read them more thoroughly. on my sdcard in the clockworkmod dir, I found a bunch of stuff in the download folder. (I give up and will use the term "folder" instead of the standard Linux directory term.) There are 12 62 byte numerical files, no clue what they are. If opened by text, they seem to be huge lists of cyanogen mods. There is a developer folder, in that is a download folder again, in that is an 4 digit number folder, in that is another 4 digit number folder, finally, a FontpackICS zip file. I think I can install that with, what, CWM?

My whole point was really to get Jellybean, but since it is really not ready for prime time on Sammy, I will wait for it. I would like to go AOSP, but want the google stuff. Not sure how to get gapps, where do I find this?

I am not as dumb as I appear to be, remember I am a 25+ year crack-shot electronic tech, digital and analog, including microprocessor. I actually know how a computer works, step by step, part by part. I know Windows and Linux, inside and out, but the phone stuff stymies me with all the new acronyms. I will now have to go back through all of your posts to list them and make a reference sheet.
    ASOP - Android Open Source Project
    AKOP - S0mething similar, but not quite? Give up Touch Wiz and get AKOP, so this must be a desktop of sorts, no?
    Long story short AOSP is vanilla Android as Google wants it. There really is no AOSP for yours as it isn't designed that way (its a Touchwiz Samsung device). The only devices to really have true, pure AOSP as Google intends is Nexus devices. CyanogenMod (CM) and Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) are just branches off AOSP. They both offer varying customizations on the stock AOSP experience. CyanogenMod tends to be a lighter, more consistent approach, AOKP tends to be a lot more heavily modified and more tweaks available. For that, its Tomato, Toh'mahto, so to speak. Both are built on AOSP, just a different look and feel. CyanogenMod is what most people who have non-Nexus devices consider "AOSP" as true AOSP is not really available for their devices and CyanogenMod is just a basic light re-skin on AOSP with more settings/tweaks.

Regarding threads for ROMs:

AOKP JB

CyanogenMod JB

As far as how complete they are, it really does just vary on the device, to be 100% honest. You will have to browse the relevant threads I linked above to see what other users are reporting. For example, on Jelly Bean on my Verizon GSIII, it runs just as good or better Jelly Bean AOSP as ICS AOSP. The same bugs persist across both platforms at this time, but most major items are 100% (phone/text/data/camera/gps/bluetooth/nfc/etc all work.) Again, this is entirely device dependent however.

The one thing that scares me a bit is that to install a ROM, I will have to wipe the entire tablet, all caches and factory reset. I learned this the hard way by skipping it last time I rooted. I ended up having to do it anyway, even after being STRONGLY advised that it would be a good thing to wipe it all.

Caches. These things have more caches than a pirate has gold. What the hell are all of these caches and what happens when wiped? I am talking about two main ones, I think. Download cache, and this "dalvik cache", what is it and what does it do?
    Regarding caches, don't worry too much about those. Dalvik cache is the cache for the dalvik VM that Android runs java on. The main cache is just that... just a normal cache. Wiping caches for the most part has little effect on your daily business. Apps just need to rebuild their caches if you wipe it, which makes your battery take a bit of a hit the first day or two after you wipe. That's about it though. No real data is lost. The "losing all data" part happens when you wipe your data and wipe your system as I described above. But if you make the backup in CWM first and if you have your Titanium backups that doesn't really matter. The Titanium backups will re-keep all your user apps and data, you will just lose system data like settings/wifi passwords/etc. Its a bit of a pain but not that major. I tend to only take 10-15 minutes setting up a new ROM after a squeaky clean wipe. Course, I'm used to it and do it on a regular basis (usually a few times a week at minimum) but even if you're not used to it it shouldn't be too difficult.

Plus, if you do b0rk something up, its not a big deal. Just go back to CWM, and restore your backup. You will be right back to where you were before you did anything (it even keeps your caches and everything backed up). So you should just go for it. If you have a CWM backup you have a safety net.

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Goose,

OMG, everything I need and asked for. I am speachless (Imagine that!) and am also too starving to comment but I briefly scanned it, checked the links to make sure I can get gapps, and am *way* satisfied. I saved this post to pdf with links, and must make and eat dinner. Will get back to you soon. Thank you braness!
    Last edited by ohmster; 09-09-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~Ohmster
    Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, WiFi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Ads