It is illegal for Verizon to lock some bootloaders.

This is a discussion on It is illegal for Verizon to lock some bootloaders. within the Off-Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Hello, all. I just found this over at XDA and found it interesting. Especially if you or anyone you know has a T-bolt, a complaint ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: It is illegal for Verizon to lock some bootloaders.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times

It is illegal for Verizon to lock some bootloaders.

Hello, all. I just found this over at XDA and found it interesting. Especially if you or anyone you know has a T-bolt, a complaint should be filed with the FCC. Anyway, it really helped explain why some are locked and some aren't, as well as some that are and shouldn't be. I don't know about everyone else, but I was really bothered that some phones are locked while others are unlocked. This article explained that in depth and I just wanted to pass it along to others on here.

Well, here's the link. Give it a read and let's get the discussion rolling.

It is Illegal for Verizon to Lock Some Bootloaders (Updated) | xda-developers

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Bell yeah!!!!!!! So is it possible that the droidx is going to get unlocked eventually?!!! Or atleast has the potential?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    I'm diagnosed with a severe case of noobecidis, it might not be treatable...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Droid X doesn't use block C frequencies, as it's not 4G. So the restrictions placed on Block C don't apply. So, in a word, no.

Unfortunately for every one, court decisions aren't based in who's right; they're based on who argues best. Verizon has billions of dollars and hundreds, if not thousands, of lawyers...I dunno how far we can get against that.
    Last edited by Leach19m; 12-21-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Agent X
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 8.9%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    From everything that I've read, it IS illegal for them to do it on 4G phones. It interferes with the FCC's rules on those frequencies

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Well, from what I read on there, this is more for the block c frequencies, the LTE, ones. I doubt that the X will be myself. If no one has come up with a workaround by now, and Verizon still hasn't allowed it, I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Which is why I will know for my next upgrade that I WILL NOT purchase a phone that is locked down. Granted the devs for the X have been nothing short of miraculous with what they've been able to do with what they had to work with, but I feel that a locked bootloader seriously shortens the lifespan of a phone. Look at it this way: the OG Droid is still viable, even though it should be a rusty relic by now. However, it's unlocked, and still going strong. Our X on the other hand, well, it's quickly losing support now that these other phones are coming out. It seems that if you give a dev the option of working with a phone that's locked vs. another that isn't, they will choose the unlocked one. And, really, can you blame them? The X isn't done for yet, but it may be before the OG Droid. Not sure on that, but I could easily see it happening.

Although, that brings up another point of interest. Why is the Motorola Droid 1 unlocked, yet all other Moto phones locked down? How does Big Red explain that? Interesting.

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noXcuse View Post
    From everything that I've read, it IS illegal for them to do it on 4G phones. It interferes with the FCC's rules on those frequencies

Ok, I found their loophole on this point: I think it only applies to frequencies between 746 and 757 MHz, and also 776 to 787 MHz. Not positive, but that's how it seemed from the article. So, it all depends on the actual frequency that the phone radio is tuned to. Any one feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, please.

Which also makes me wonder who decides the frequency when a new phone is designed? Is it the manufacturer or the carrier? No idea on that one. Anyone?

Agent X
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Its gonna take a BIG class action lawsuit to even get the ball rolling on this one. I doubt Verizon even cares. They know they're breaking the law. They tried to have that literature removed. That's why it took so long for LTE to be launched. They'll pay their fines and call it good. Until 10,000 people win a lawsuit against them, its cheaper to keep it like it is and pay fines.

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Leach19m View Post
    Droid X doesn't use block C frequencies, as it's not 4G. So the restrictions placed on Block C don't apply. So, in a word, no.

Unfortunately for every one, court decisions aren't based in who's right; they're based on who argues best. Verizon has billions of dollars and hundreds, if not thousands, of lawyers...I dunno how far we can get against that.
    Sir, you are too right on that point. That and who has the deeper pockets to afford them. Lol.

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noXcuse View Post
    Its gonna take a BIG class action lawsuit to even get the ball rolling on this one. I doubt Verizon even cares. They know they're breaking the law. They tried to have that literature removed. That's why it took so long for LTE to be launched. They'll pay their fines and call it good. Until 10,000 people win a lawsuit against them, its cheaper to keep it like it is and pay fines.

I know, but it's still WRONG!!! That is definitely an issue in this country, corporations can do what they want as long as they pay the right people, and piddle on the consumer. And the consumer just takes it for so many reasons. Don't have the time or resources to fight it, too tired from working two jobs to pay the bills to even care, etc. It's going to be scary the day that we all finally get fed up enough to do something about it! If we ever do, which is up in the air.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon66721 View Post
    Which also makes me wonder who decides the frequency when a new phone is designed? Is it the manufacturer or the carrier? No idea on that one. Anyone?
    The FCC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads