Government math-Cash for clunkers program saves gas, costs just 3 billion

This is a discussion on Government math-Cash for clunkers program saves gas, costs just 3 billion within the Off-Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year. A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Government math-Cash for clunkers program saves gas, costs just 3 billion

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    460 times

Government math-Cash for clunkers program saves gas, costs just 3 billion

A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year.
    A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons of gas a year.
    So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.
    The government claims 700,000 clunkers have been replaced so that's 224 million gallons saved per year.
    That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.
    More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars.

So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.
    We spent $8.57 for every $1.00 we saved.

I'm pretty sure they will do a better job with our health care, though.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    That's our government. This is why they work for government and not private companies. You'd be fired on the spot for even proposing something so ridiculous.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Pretty amazing when you put some actual numbers down for us! As stated, that's our government working hard to look out for us. Sure am glad we have someone to tell us that we're being looked out for and not to do any of our own thinking. If we did, we just might realize how we ARE being taken care of.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

First of all, the average driver in the US travels 15,000 miles/year, not 12,000. This means The average cash for clunkers transaction will save 400 gallons of gasoline per year, not 320. With the 700,000 clunkers, 280,000,000 gallons are being saved each year. Obviously refined gasoline is going to cost more than a barrel of oil, so im not sure why you converted it to barrels at this point. Anyway, at $4 per gallon, 280,000,000 gallons of gasoline costs 1,120,000,000 dollars compared to Harleydude's 350,000,000 dollar figure. He also conveniently leaves out that this is money saved each and every year. If these people keep their cars for only 5 years(most will keep them longer) they will save 5.6 billion dollars at a cost to the government of only 3 billion. Let's not forget this program stimulated the automobile industry at a time when they were struggling to survive, and it is helping to reduce pollution and CO2 emissions. The only thing HarleyDude has proven is that it is very easy to manipulate numbers to trick people into believing what he wants them to believe.
    ryant35 likes this.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    what still doesn't make sense are my tax dollars paying for my neighbors new vehicle. While they're at it, how about I buy him a new furnace, air conditioner, and new windows.

X Operative Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The cash for clunkers program is what is called a "Feel Good" program. In other words it does not really do anything except make people "feel Good" that they are doing something. Just don't look at the costs because it will make you mad.
    skennelly likes this.
    RudyN
    DroidX

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougd View Post
    First of all, the average driver in the US travels 15,000 miles/year, not 12,000. This means The average cash for clunkers transaction will save 400 gallons of gasoline per year, not 320. With the 700,000 clunkers, 280,000,000 gallons are being saved each year. Obviously refined gasoline is going to cost more than a barrel of oil, so im not sure why you converted it to barrels at this point. Anyway, at $4 per gallon, 280,000,000 gallons of gasoline costs 1,120,000,000 dollars compared to Harleydude's 350,000,000 dollar figure. He also conveniently leaves out that this is money saved each and every year. If these people keep their cars for only 5 years(most will keep them longer) they will save 5.6 billion dollars at a cost to the government of only 3 billion. Let's not forget this program stimulated the automobile industry at a time when they were struggling to survive, and it is helping to reduce pollution and CO2 emissions. The only thing HarleyDude has proven is that it is very easy to manipulate numbers to trick people into believing what he wants them to believe.
    Figures are easily manipulated, for sure. Also, as stated here, it helps reduce CO2 emissions, which I think hard to argue against being a good thing. The next step would be to invest in the infrastructure for electric or hydrogen cars. Gasoline is clearly one of two things 1) almost gone or 2) too easy to make people think 1 is the case (which I think is more likely the case) and is most definitely bad for the environment

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Leach19m View Post
    Figures are easily manipulated, for sure. Also, as stated here, it helps reduce CO2 emissions, which I think hard to argue against being a good thing. The next step would be to invest in the infrastructure for electric or hydrogen cars. Gasoline is clearly one of two things 1) almost gone or 2) too easy to make people think 1 is the case (which I think is more likely the case) and is most definitely bad for the environment

The US does not consume all of the gasoline it produces and exports much of it to mexico (which by the way, has fuel for around 1/2 the cost of the u.s.). This makes #1 false and if #2 is true then people really need to do their own research rather than follow the flock.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougd View Post
    First of all, the average driver in the US travels 15,000 miles/year, not 12,000.
    That depends on what you consider average....I've been doing about 55,000 a year since 85.
    12k or 15k to me would mean you are out of work....And No, I don't drive for a living.
    skennelly likes this.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Technician X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skennelly View Post
    what still doesn't make sense are my tax dollars paying for my neighbors new vehicle. While they're at it, how about I buy him a new furnace, air conditioner, and new windows.
    You did via the inevestment and recovery act.
    great999 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads