It's a great time to be in the market for a tablet

This is a discussion on It's a great time to be in the market for a tablet within the Off-Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Looks like lots of choices in the near future. This is a little info I gathered today from a few different tech sites. Several 10" ...

Thread: It's a great time to be in the market for a tablet

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.4%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times

It's a great time to be in the market for a tablet

Looks like lots of choices in the near future. This is a little info I gathered today from a few different tech sites. Several 10" Honeycomb tablets to compete with the Xoom. Price is gonna be the key here and it looks like some of the manufacturers are wising up. Sub-$500 Honeycomb tablet!!! I'm in!!!

Our pals over at PreCentral have found themselves in possession of what apparently is a release schedule from "a major U.S. retailer," and it's got a number of Android tablets listed, including a few new ones. Let's break it down:

• March 17: Motorola 10-inch tablet, $649, first 10-inch tablet with Android Honeycomb. Obviously, the Motorola Xoom.
    • End of March: Dell 7-inch, $449, March launch with Android 2.2 Froyo. OK, it's the Dell Streak 7.
    • End of March: Samsung 7-inch, $499, March launch with Android 2.2 Froyo. Sounds like the Galaxy Tab to us.
    • April: Acer 7-inch, $399, first 7-inch tablet with Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Acer 7-inch tablet. Check.
    • And a whole bunch of tablets in June, including a 10-inch device from HTC (that's new, price to be determined), that new 10-incher from Dell ($499), a 10-incher from Acer ($449, been announced already), and the 10-inch tablet from Toshiba that we saw at CES (priced here at $499).

The big question -- after we again say "A 10-inch tablet from HTC!" -- is which "major retailer" we're talking about. If this all pans out, CTIA could indeed be busy here in a couple weeks. [PreCentral]

Source: Android Central

According to Staplesí training guides, they sure appear to be taking this tablet game pretty seriously. We already know that they plan to release the wifi-only Motorola XOOM some time around the end of March or early April for $599, but they arenít stopping there. They are expecting to see the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9″ device that should be announced in the coming weeks at CTIA, Acer and Toshiba 10″ devices, and even a 10″ HTC slate. Now, we saw the HTC Flyer at MWC a few weeks back, but that was only a 7″ model. Could a 10″ be the rumored EVO tablet that Sprint is expected to announce in the near future?

Source: Droid Life

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    hey Garemlin, i like the fact that the tablets are getting ready to appear. i want one, but i'm going to have to wait for the prices to drop, a lot.
    i was looking for a used droid i could experiment with, but they were more than i wanted to spend, but i recently was told of the virgin mobile lg optimus v, with 2.2, etc. not a droid, not an x, but it's $149, and vm charges $25 monthly (no contract) for unlimited data, email and text, as well as 300 minutes. i'll use that to practice on.

i might have to wait longer for a tab in light of what's going on in japan. the wall street journal reported today, "Japanese auto makers and other factories extended closures for several more days at least, potentially imperiling deliveries of everything from Prius hybrid cars to the flash chips that go into iPhones and iPads. ... Even though serious damage was limited to a few areas, Japan's problems are nationwide because supplier logistics have been severely dislocated by restrictions on using highways for freight, as well as unpredictable power cuts that make operations planning extremely difficult."
    i wonder how this is going to impact technology.
    running gingerbread 602 SBF

Remove Ads

Ads