What Programming Languages To Know??

This is a discussion on What Programming Languages To Know?? within the Off-Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Just got more coffee... mmm.. nectar of life. Sunflower seeds though? Hmm.. I like them, but I never got down the art of eating them ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What Programming Languages To Know??

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Just got more coffee... mmm.. nectar of life. Sunflower seeds though? Hmm.. I like them, but I never got down the art of eating them and spitting out the shells.. lol. I always end up just eating them. Your comments about programing are very true, you can pick up a new language quickly if you know the flow of things, just memorizing the new syntax... however I feel this is more true for object oriented languages or shell scripting.. but some of these new languages require you to think a lot differently, especially F sharp. Its hard for me to rework my though process. It doesn't flow the same way in terms of logic... maybe I am just lacking experience, but to me it seems like things are really changing and it's forcing us programmers to think about problem solving differently.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Easy method for SBF'ing your phone back to stock
    + SBFboot - the easy way to sbf
    Best ways to improve your phones overall performance:
    + How To Optimize Battery Life & Speed
    Wireless tethering on GB simplified
    + WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]
    Other helpful resources:
    + Deodexing Explained + How To
    + [One Stop] Rom Goodies, Extras, Mods & More

..:: Follow me on Twitter and Google+::..

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    Tthings are really changing and it's forcing us programmers to think about problem solving differently.
    How so very true this is.
    And with the dynamics changing with programming structure, the skills to be able to problem solve (and document) are really turning into a science and an art.
    OSDroid

Agent X
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 10.9%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OSDroid View Post
    How so very true this is.
    And with the dynamics changing with programming structure, the skills to be able to problem solve (and document) are really turning into a science and an art.
    I'm gonna disagree with you a bit on this one. I've been doing this for a very Looooong time and it's funny to watch paradigms come back. Admittedly with newer and better implementations, but alot of what is new is a more better take on something old in many ways. Truely new inventions are rare. There was an old "Function" language back in the 70's I think called APL ? kinda reminds me of F# in a way.

That said, the things you said about Problem Solving skills, Technical Writing Skills, and Solid Coding skills and practices, will serve anyone well in any environment. The playing field will change, the tools will change, but at the end of the day computers are still stupid and only do what we tell them to, exactly as we tell them to, whether we really wanted them to or not
    Experience is a Cruel Instructor. First you take the test, then you learn the lesson!

X Informant
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Pascal

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cynkrzy View Post
    I'm gonna disagree with you a bit on this one. I've been doing this for a very Looooong time and it's funny to watch paradigms come back. Admittedly with newer and better implementations, but alot of what is new is a more better take on something old in many ways. Truely new inventions are rare. There was an old "Function" language back in the 70's I think called APL ? kinda reminds me of F# in a way.

That said, the things you said about Problem Solving skills, Technical Writing Skills, and Solid Coding skills and practices, will serve anyone well in any environment. The playing field will change, the tools will change, but at the end of the day computers are still stupid and only do what we tell them to, exactly as we tell them to, whether we really wanted them to or not

Your view is not exactly disagreeing with what we are saying at all. Matter of fact, it falls in line with what my original comment was. Strong skills and solid practices are the foundation, and the programming language is just the vehicle.
    If you know how to drive, then the car shouldn't matter.

But another analogy that comes to mind when you say paradigms come back, is that of the mainframe and terminals.
    OSDroid

Agent X
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 10.9%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OSDroid View Post
    But another analogy that comes to mind when you say paradigms come back, is that of the mainframe and terminals.
    That's one. The Web and Cloud in some sense kinda model that, especially early web app implementations.

Distributed computing is another. Way back when IBM had a custom distributed Mainframe app SABER (I think) for the Airline reservation industry.
    Experience is a Cruel Instructor. First you take the test, then you learn the lesson!

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Interesting little discussion we got brewing here. I wanted to stirr the pot a bit and throw in "qubits" into the discussion. Do you know about this? Superposition? Where a bite can exist in a 0 and 1 state simultaneously? Now I know you can't tell me that this an old technology re-emerging! Quantum computing is the true future of computer technology and it will radically alter how problems are solved. Check out this article for a good read http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/sc...09compute.html.

{{ WugFresh }}

X Lurker
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Bump!!

Wugs what would you suggest for learning theming?

Just got a couple books from the public library, one on Java the other on Ubuntu. Gonna see how it goes learning Java and go from there. Want to learn how to do some theme's then try and ROM's (if all goes well)
    aboutthecode likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Ads