WiFi in Switzerland

This is a discussion on WiFi in Switzerland within the New Member Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Anyone know if WiFi works in Europe? I was in Switzerland last year and got good signal in hotspots, but could not connect with iPhone ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WiFi in Switzerland

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy WiFi in Switzerland

Anyone know if WiFi works in Europe? I was in Switzerland last year and got good signal in hotspots, but could not connect with iPhone or laptop (windows XP).
    Heading over there again with Droid X and I understand I might have the same problem.
    Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    It should work anywhere wifi is aslong as you have the right passwords.

If you do travel please, please remember to put it in Airplane mode so that you dont incur roaming fees.

X Operative Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Turn Data Roaming off in the Data Manager settings to avoid charges for roaming data. Airplane mode will also turn off the 3G radio so it doesn't waste battery looking for a tower. Then turn on wifi and it will work fine. You will not be able to use Skype over wifi (a Verizon decision), and your GPS (and Maps, etc) will be unusable...for some reason this phone's GPS will not work without a 3G kick to start it up. Hope that helps.

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashF16 View Post
    Turn Data Roaming off in the Data Manager settings to avoid charges for roaming data. Airplane mode will also turn off the 3G radio so it doesn't waste battery looking for a tower. Then turn on wifi and it will work fine. You will not be able to use Skype over wifi (a Verizon decision), and your GPS (and Maps, etc) will be unusable...for some reason this phone's GPS will not work without a 3G kick to start it up. Hope that helps.
    Have we confirmed that this is true even while enabling Enhanced GPS? I know fora fact that (at least on 2.1) I have used GPS in a 3G dead zone and it didn't stop functioning or updating my location, though I *did* initiate the nav in an area that I had 3G.

I know you can't even open up the f-ing Nav program to add a location for future use without being in GPS range, and I find THAT Annoying.
    Troubles installing OTA 2.3.340 Update? Click Here

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Hello and welcome to the forum!!

You can also call into VZW customer service (*611) and they are able to provide some additional feedback as well...then you can post that info and your post trip info here to help other members as well...

Failure isn't falling down, failure is staying down.

Guidelines of Conduct for DroidXForums.com

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Very Curious to know the real solution

Hello, I'm back from Europe.
    Here is my WiFi report
    Most everyone seems to agree that it should work (If WiFi is on, if I have the password, etc.etc.) I was hoping that somebody was actually there and had it actually working, so I could copy the settings.
    So far I've been to Holland, Germany, France and Switzerland, good signals and passwords where necessary with the following devices unable to surf the web. Sony laptops with Windows XP and Windows 7, iphone 3gs and my absolute favorite Droid X
    The only people that were able to connect with WiFi, were business folks that had their companies IT people make some adjustments to their device and they said it had to be reset again to work in the USA !
    Called two local computer outfits and they were no help ( one clown wanted to come and look into it for $ 180.-)
    Called Verizon and they tried to sell me an international phone package for Europe where Verizon's technology does not work. LOL Clueless
    My best guesses are settings for subnet mask/ default gateway and/or wep key (IP address ? )

+ Reply to Thread

Ads