Droid X Battery drained 75% after 9 minute phone call

This is a discussion on Droid X Battery drained 75% after 9 minute phone call within the New Member Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hopefully someone can give me some insight here. I'm experiencing extreme battery drain from a single phone call lasting just several minutes. Most recently, a ...

Thread: Droid X Battery drained 75% after 9 minute phone call

X Lurker
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 1.3%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Droid X Battery drained 75% after 9 minute phone call

Hopefully someone can give me some insight here. I'm experiencing extreme battery drain from a single phone call lasting just several minutes. Most recently, a 75% drain after only a 9 minute phone call. The battery usage was from the phone according to the GSam Battery Monitor app. Any help is appreciated. PJ

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    727 times
    How old is the battery?

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    "I stopped reading dystopic novels a long time ago. If I want bleakness and despair, I can look at my checkbook." - Solomon Short

"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing / Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master / Master
    " - Metallica

DX Forums "Guidelines of Conduct"

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I believe it may be 18 months old. I thought the age might be the case but the degradation came on so quickly. Today, for example, no use and the battery drained from fully charged to 15% in less than 1 hour. I'm not an expert here so if you believe it's the battery having run it's normal life, and based on your experience, it's no good, then I guess I'll replace it.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    727 times
    Jumps are usually indicators of age.

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    "I stopped reading dystopic novels a long time ago. If I want bleakness and despair, I can look at my checkbook." - Solomon Short

"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing / Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master / Master
    " - Metallica

DX Forums "Guidelines of Conduct"

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Based on the age and drain speed I'd say its likely battery degradation, unless you notice something REALLY out of the ordinary in gsam. Even then though losing almost a full charge in an hour really makes me think bad battery.

Tapped from my jelly-beaned d2vzw with 4.2 gapps

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just put in a new battery the day before yesterday. Charged it overnight. Charge dropped down to 79% in 1 hour then by 11:00 pm last night it ran out of juice. I only made one 15 minute phone call and used the browser for about 20 minutes. Charged it overnight last night and turned it on at 7:30 am this morning. I had one 9 minute phone call. No browser usage. Just let it sit around. Charge is down to 57% as of 4:15 pm. I appreciate any thoughts on what to do next.

Agent X Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    You say this happens on the new battery? Some people are selling incompatible batteries. Where did you get it, and what is the part number?

Also, you may have an app that's draining the battery.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've tried two new batteries. Both were Motorola BH5X and purchased from two different sources.
    The power drain continues. Installed Gsam battery monitor. According to usage map, if I use the phone, then the phone is the biggest hog. If I don't use the phone at all then it appears the greates user is the Android system and the Kernel and System (com.motorola.blur.contacts.data). Phone radio also comes up as a big user. As you can imagine, I'm a little perplexed. I appreciate any help.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Are you rooted? (This shouldn't affect battery life but it gives us more options to help) what's the signal graph look like? I can't remember how it looks on the DX but there is usually a colored bar in the main battery stats that shows strong signal / scanning / etc during the day. Do you work or live in a basement or other area that may be causing reception issues?

I know you said this rebtly started, did anything in your daily routine change? (I.e. new job / move just a few examples) or if not have you noticed any recent reception differences?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Goose306; 12-20-2012 at 08:41 PM.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not rooted. Signal for 3g is medium strength most of the time and very weak other times. I believe it's always been that way.
    No change in location, job or usage patterns. Today it seems there is high battery usage for display and apps (Kernel). I did have the brightness set to automatic. I'm going to recharge the battery to full and then turn the brightness down to the lowest setting. I'll see if there's a substantial difference during the day, all things being equal, as far as normal usage. Process of elimination I guess.

Remove Ads

Ads