AOKP stuck in bootloop, can't access clockworkmod recovery

This is a discussion on AOKP stuck in bootloop, can't access clockworkmod recovery within the Ice Cream Sandwich Help forums, part of the Droid X Ice Cream Sandwich Forum category; Yeah, I'm getting even better battery life on AOKP than I did on gingerbread. With email and texting pretty constantly throughout the day, I was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AOKP stuck in bootloop, can't access clockworkmod recovery

Yeah, I'm getting even better battery life on AOKP than I did on gingerbread. With email and texting pretty constantly throughout the day, I was only at 50% after 9 hours.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I understand that the app should not be used on these ROMs but does that mean that we don't need a bootstrapper?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    I'll try to keep this as short and succinct as possible as I don't feel like writing paragraphs from my phone.

The "bootstrapper" app is only needed on stock, like post SBF. This is so we can access it initially, and is needed due to out encrypted BL. On unlocked devices you can actually replace stock recovery, would this message isn't needed, but I digress.

Effectively, the bootstrapper "wraps" the stock recovery so when a recovery request is sent from the UI it boots into that instead. Note this isn't from a cold boot (when coming from off) but on the stock Moto system other safeguards are in place (as outlined in the other thread, such as from a cold boot with USB plugged in) Access is not the same, with the bootstrapper it runs after system init so things still need to get past boot logo to get to CWM.

Now on a 2nd-init ROM (this is CM, MIUI, any ICS ROM) all of this goes out the window. Instead of recovery being a bootstrap after init, the init process is hijacked and injected with the code of our choice, allowing us to bypass some of the security checks in the encryption and load AOSP. I won't get too much into the details, suffice to say our hijacking method is vastly different, and using Droid 2 Bootstrap on 2nd-init is guaranteed SBF time. Thus, it is needed, on stock to initially get into CWM, but if you're on 2nd-init stay away from it. If you can't access CWM, you broke your recovery or boot procedures somehow. Regardless, if you are looking to avoid an SBF, either learn how to force CWM via ADB from a cold boot or install boot menu with your ROM of choice. CWM via ADB is decidedly old-school, but it is the most reliable, but still requires a PC and requires ADB proficiency. Otherwise boot menu works *most* of the same times as ADB, gives some extra features, and is more n00b friendly. Regardless though SBFs will happen if you are ROMing, as due to our encrypted BL there will be times that no method will save you EXCEPT SBF. One of those times is incidentally by trying to use a bootstrapper on a 2nd-init ROM.

Edit: still ended up writing paragraphs from the phone.

tl;dr: droid 2 Bootstrap on stock (and usually safe on stock-based ROMs, although usually unnecessary) don't touch it on 2nd-init ROMs (unless you enjoy SBFing)

Sent from my SCH-I535
    Last edited by Goose306; 07-16-2012 at 02:51 PM.

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for the help! Sorry I was noobing out.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nojogray View Post
    Thanks for the help! Sorry I was noobing out.
    NP. I'd rather the populace understand the correct answer and know why it's the correct answer. Information is never a bad thing; I was a n00b to at some point, asking DroidXChat why my CWM broke when I used bootstrap, which u til then I had aways been told was "necessary". The locked BL makes things needlessly complicated.

Sent from my SCH-I535

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Here's what I do. If I have to SBF for any reason, after I root and use Bootstrapper initially, I then uninstall it so I can never touch it again.

Sent from my Liquid X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads