Thrive / Droid X help, please.

This is a discussion on Thrive / Droid X help, please. within the Hacking Help forums, part of the Droid X Development category; I just recently bought a Thrive.....I've got a Droid X phone. I'd like to use the internet from my phone but I can't seem to ...

Thread: Thrive / Droid X help, please.

Thrive / Droid X help, please.

I just recently bought a Thrive.....I've got a Droid X phone. I'd like to use the internet from my phone but I can't seem to understand instructions on tethering etc. I've also tried to pair the Bluetooth connection but it says that both the Thrive and the Droid are paired but not connected. Please help. I'm not tech savy but would really appreciate some instructions that I can understand. Thank you in advance.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Banned
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 59.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsThree Friends100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    go to settings/wireless/bluetooth as far as the bluetooth goes where it says paired but not connected you should see something that says connect with this device click that and it may or may not ask you for a password which is either 0000 or 1234

I just registered in order to post here because I thought I should share my experience, if the OP is still monitoring the thread after a month...

I received a Toshiba Thrive as a Christmas gift, and have had a droid X for about a year. Before, I used PDA net to tether (broadcast the Internet from my phone) to my laptop with a USB cable (no root or hacking required), and that worked great. But since I got my new tablet, I would rather carry it on trips as opposed to my laptop, so I faced the same problem that you do.

I will tell you up front that after a week of research and failures, the only thing that I got to work was Wi-Fi tethering via an application called simply "Wi-Fi tether," which you will not find in the android market, and will not work for you unless you root (jailbreak) your phone.

It was a learning experience for me (and I am still learning; case in point: I screwed up by deleting yahoo contacts after going on a delete-happy rampage- doh!) as, although I am somewhat tech-savvy, I am mostly ignorant of developer-level Smartphone intrigue. So at this point, I can say with some confidence that unless you are willing to jump down a serious warranty-voiding rabbit hole, you might not be able to make this work like you want unless you are willing to shell out thirty extra bucks a month for a service you're already paying for.

Here is a list of my failures:
    1) PDA net [tethering app available in the android market]
    2) PDA net for tablets (via Bluetooth and USB) [tethering app available in the android market]

3) Barnacle [tethering app available in the android market]
    4) Open Garden [tethering app available in the android market]

I never was able to get the thrive and the droid jiving on Bluetooth. I got the same message that you did (paired but not connected) and after researching that problem a bit, it seems to me like the issue may be with the Thrive's dubious Bluetooth abilities.

I know that I haven't given you any good news, but if you're reading this, at least you know what you're up against. I find that the less mysterious a problem is, the less my mind claws at it in futility.

Good Luck,
    Aaron

Remove Ads

Ads