Not a "Newb," but VERY CONFUSED on rooting!!!

This is a discussion on Not a "Newb," but VERY CONFUSED on rooting!!! within the Hacking Help forums, part of the Droid X Development category; I've had my DX since a day or so after they came out. I've had VERY few issues with my phone until GB, and it's ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not a "Newb," but VERY CONFUSED on rooting!!!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Not a "Newb," but VERY CONFUSED on rooting!!!

I've had my DX since a day or so after they came out. I've had VERY few issues with my phone until GB, and it's just kept going downhill from there...I'm having SO MANY annoying little issues. And since it looks like the launch date for the Bionic won't be till Sept, at least, I've come to realize I need to root it before I throw it accross the room

HOWEVER, As user-friendly as this forum is, I'm DROWNING in information on rooting my phone...and I can't make heads or tails of it all now

So...here's some background about me and my phone and HOPEFULLY some wonderful tech-friendly person will like to help me tonight and help me figure out what is the best step-by-step way for me to go about this or post the link to a good, easily followable thread that might be lost in the 100's i've tried to dig through....

Me:
    -I'm not a technalogical genius, but I can be pretty good with computers, and am usually very good with phones (troubleshooting, set up, small hacks, etc)...so I'm not a total idiot, I promise
    -I know my way around the phone pretty good
    -I'm usually the go-to droid person with my family, friends, and office...so this is kinda hurting my pride

My phone:
    -unrooted (of course)
    -running GB 2.3.3
    -refurbished POS compared to my original one which got fried by the original GB update but I HATE having to set up a whole new phone....so I'm trying to hold out for the bionic....

Here are my hold-ups and what's kinda keeping me from jumping in head-first on rooting:
    -should I back up now or after the SBF (or whatever it is)?
    -Do I have to go back to froyo?? If so, how??

Thank you for helping me out!!! Hopefully I can get it all figured out before I make my DX into a doggie chew toy or start trying to step on it like bubble-wrap!...lol...

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Yes you have to go back and without root you really are limited on backup solutions

You have to sbf back to froyo then reroot, install bootstrap, then install two part pre rooted gingerbread

Fairly easy sbf
    Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

Two part gingerbread
    Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Last edited by cory46; 08-08-2011 at 09:14 PM.

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    555 times
    You also have the option to stay on froyo after the sbf. You can do a simple root, and with a slight file name-change avoid the update notifications for GB.
    "FEZ aims to create a non-threatening world rich with ambiance,

a pleasant place to spend time in."

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    the linux solution is the one you have to do on your computer, right? Does that part kinda take care of itself or am I gonna have to mess with the inner-workings/settings of my computer? I have an HP touchsmart laptop and it can get complicated enough for me going between the HP touchsmart operations and the standard windows operations....is the Linux going to complicate that further?

I'm sorry I probably sound like a total worry-wart and a complete idiot I promise I'm not trying to be difficult

Thank you for your response I'm starting to feel like I might be getting somewhere with this!!!

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fezrock View Post
    You also have the option to stay on froyo after the sbf. You can do a simple root, and with a slight file name-change avoid the update notifications for GB.
    there are some things I like about GB...the look for one. But I guess if i'm gonna root it, those are things I'll be able to set up myself anyway, huh?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    All sbf solutions involve your computer. Linux one you'll just have to change how your computer boots up once and hit a button to start it and that's it unless you'd rather use rsd lite

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

+ Reply to Thread

Ads