New to loading roms/modding

This is a discussion on New to loading roms/modding within the Hacking Help forums, part of the Droid X Development category; So i'm looking into doing my first rom flash, thinking about doing liberty 1.5 and have been reading up on what all i would need ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeinrichmond

Thread: New to loading roms/modding

X Operative
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

New to loading roms/modding

So i'm looking into doing my first rom flash, thinking about doing liberty 1.5 and have been reading up on what all i would need to do. First thing I'm seeing is to download/use titanium backup. Now does this need to be the paid version for it to work, and if not, how do i get my info back on the phone once the sbf/flash is done?

Secondly, I have Rom Manager, not the Droid x bootstrap due to having no spare cash to buy the bootstrap, I know that Rom Manager will install clockworkmod, but i'm not sure how to get into it. I did a little research and was told that i needed to reboot my phone and hold both volume buttons and the power button. When i did that it got me into the bootloader 30.04, said charge ok, ok to program. Was that clockworkmod/am i in the right spot? If not, what was that i was in, and what does it do lol?

3rd, I should have done an SBF before doing any of this right?

4th, when installing liberty, i see that i'm supposed to save it to my SD card, reboot phone, hold home and power and select update from Sd right?

Sorry for all the newb questions. I read what I could find but still had some questions so i thought i'd get some clarification.

Also, sorry if i post this in the wrong spot, was needing help so i figured this would be the place.
    Last edited by Mercrae; 05-20-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Apologising if in wrong forum.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Supporting Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Do yourself a favor, and spend the $2 on Bootstrap. Rom Manager can cause problems on the X...

Next, you need to read up on how to use Bootstrap, because it's used to not only flash Rom's and Themes, but more importantly, to make a good backup of your phone that you can use to restore it to a good working order, should something go wrong.

[HOW TO] Use Droid X Bootstrap

Liberty 1.5 is an old version, 2.0.1 is the latest for Froyo, so use that one.

An SBF is only needed if you bork the phone, and can't get into the green clockwork screen from Bootstrap..

See here for Liberty install instructions:

Liberty 2.0.1 Release
    Mercrae likes this.
    Where my time is spent away from the office!

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I read about SD-Recovery in a different post, does that do a good job with backups? I know it's being cheap but I just can't justify spending anything extra right now. Lol

Also, what was it that i was in that was showing Bootload 30.04 with the OK to program and Charge OK?

Edit: The Liberty link you gave, shows that bootstrap was included in the download? Am i reading that right? So does that mean i wouldn't need to download it from the market?
    Last edited by Mercrae; 05-20-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercrae View Post
    I read about SD-Recovery in a different post, does that do a good job with backups? ...
    No, you cannot make backups in stock recovery, only with clockwork recovery which is accessed though the Bootstrap app.

Also, what was it that i was in that was showing Bootload 30.04 with the OK to program and Charge OK?
    That is called Bootloader mode, and it is from this screen that you hook up the phone to a computer to perform what is called an SBF, which is used only when you completely bork your phone and can't get into clockwork to restore a backup that you made with the Bootstrap app.

Edit: The Liberty link you gave, shows that bootstrap was included in the download? Am i reading that right? So does that mean i wouldn't need to download it from the market?
    Bootstrap is included as part of the Liberty Toolbox, which is a $5 download from the Market...

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Ok, thank you very much. Sorry for all the stupid questions, just trying to make sure I do this right, and wanting to get to know as much as I can.

Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    No prob. A lot of good info can be found in the Hacks and Rescue Squad subforums, look for the 'sticky' posts at the top of the section..

(Swypin' GB while watching Netflix on the go)

Remove Ads

Ads