Complete WiFi / 3G Switch?

This is a discussion on Complete WiFi / 3G Switch? within the Hacking Help forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Hey there folks. Trying to get the most battery/speed out of my Droid X, and obviously one of the big ones is switching to WiFi ...

Thread: Complete WiFi / 3G Switch?

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Complete WiFi / 3G Switch?

Hey there folks. Trying to get the most battery/speed out of my Droid X, and obviously one of the big ones is switching to WiFi when possible. I've noticed that just enabling WiFi doesn't completely shut off 3G though as in ROMs I was used to on my OG Droid; for example, when sending/receiving an MMS it will throw 3G back on, or even worse if it can't get the right data via WiFi (as sometimes the cookie expires on my network and I have to re-enter log in info) it will switch on 3G and WiFi at the same time, causing a HUGE battery drain and working against what I want.

So is there some quick way of completely disabling the data connection and enabling WiFi, preferably through a widget? That isn't ugly? Neither my Beautiful Widgets toggle or Widgetsoid seem to do it.

Thanks guys!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Airplane mode cuts data connection and allows you to connect via wifi I believe..and I'm not sure about widgets...
    Quote Originally Posted by iNinja View Post
    Hey there folks. Trying to get the most battery/speed out of my Droid X, and obviously one of the big ones is switching to WiFi when possible. I've noticed that just enabling WiFi doesn't completely shut off 3G though as in ROMs I was used to on my OG Droid; for example, when sending/receiving an MMS it will throw 3G back on, or even worse if it can't get the right data via WiFi (as sometimes the cookie expires on my network and I have to re-enter log in info) it will switch on 3G and WiFi at the same time, causing a HUGE battery drain and working against what I want.

So is there some quick way of completely disabling the data connection and enabling WiFi, preferably through a widget? That isn't ugly? Neither my Beautiful Widgets toggle or Widgetsoid seem to do it.

Thanks guys!

LiBeRaTeD onePOINTfive

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin0308 View Post
    Airplane mode cuts data connection and allows you to connect via wifi I believe..and I'm not sure about widgets...

that does work for internet but you can not send texts or make calls.... just internet data... i just tried. but the browser does work with plane mode and wifi turned on... but thats unfortunately not going to help with other phone uses.

Agent X
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    He was talking about completely disabling the data connection and using just wifi to my understanding because of getting interrupted by texts and calls and being able to switch quickly back to where he has data connection..all thru widgets..with airplane mode..you can connect wifi but wont get interrupted by people contacting you..and to the OP...try extended controls in the market..it is like $.99 but gives you many options including airplane mode as a widget..and 3g as widget so you can easily switch between the two..i don't have it but it may be something that may interest you..
    Quote Originally Posted by beachy View Post
    that does work for internet but you can not send texts or make calls.... just internet data... i just tried. but the browser does work with plane mode and wifi turned on... but thats unfortunately not going to help with other phone uses.

LiBeRaTeD onePOINTfive

X Informant
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Try the SwitchPro Widget, allows you to pick widget size, and what options, I have mine 8 across, with just the options I care about

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    Yes switchpro widget isn't free but it allows 2g/3g toggling and is pretty customizable.

Agent X
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Both Dazzle and Widgetsoid2.x have that option & are free. Widgetsoid also has the option to place the switches in the notifcation bar.

Sent from my DROID X in Western Illinois

Remove Ads

Ads