How to get out of trouble...
So you just rooted your shiny brand new phone and you're at a loss of what to do with so much info out there on root. Well here's a start....
FIRSTImmediately after rooting make a nandroid (backup) of your phone using Droid X Bootstrap. Getting familiar with this powerful app is a must. Follow this LINK
SECONDDownload the latest SBF file and RSD Lite version for safekeeping. These are tools needed to bring your phone back from the dead in the event of a major malfunction. We now have our own SBF thread managed by RS member 1KDS. Follow this link for all the tools neeeded. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...sbf-files.html
Now that you've got those tools in your backpocket, chances are you'll want to venture farther into the dark side. Themes and ROMs are the reason I rooted my phone. With these mods though, you will eventually run into snags. Here are some common problems and solutions to remember.
PROBLEMSBootloop- when trying to boot up, the screen will go from M (Motorola logo) screen to boot up animation.
Stuck at M screen- phone stuck at M screen
SOLUTIONSStock recovery- when these problems occur, you can attempt to boot into stock recovery.
1. Pull the battery a few times to see if it will boot up. If it does then great, if not proceed to step two.
2. After a battery pull, when booting up. Hold the home hard key and power button. At the M screen, release the home key. You will come to a screen with a little green Droid and !, press the search hard key. Then use the volume rocker to scroll down to wipe data/cache and use the camera button to select it. Then also do a factory reset.
Your phone should reboot normally. Give it a few minutes, be patient. These steps might need to be repeated a few times. If after several times trying, the phone does not boot up properly, then you can use the tips HERE to boot into Clockwork Recovery. If this still doesn't work, then you will have to SBF.
PROBLEMSApp not working, updating, or downloading- If you are getting FCs (force closes), or if you get Unsuccessful Download/Install then there are a few things you can do.
SOLUTIONS1. Clear app data/cache in settings->applications->manage applications->all tab->select app
2. Download/Install issue: toggle airplane mode (settings->wireless & networks) & toggle auto-sync (settings->accounts & sync)
3. Uninstall and reinstall app
4. Gallery issues are caused by corrupt issues: move SD card data to PC via USB and format SD card OR download 3D Gallery and look for anomolies.
Last edited by Droid-Xer; 02-16-2011 at 10:01 PM.
01-03-2011 07:10 AM
Droid X Forums
HOW TO INSTALL...
A ROM CORRECTLY.1. Download zip on phone browser (no need to move it, it will be in your download folder)
2. After download is complete, click on Droid X Bootstrap app, hit bootstrap recovery, click ok, then click reboot recovery.
3. Once in clockwork recovery (green screen), use volume rocker to move and camera button to select.
4. Go to mounts
4. (a) If ROM instructions say to mount system then select mount system, if system is already mounted, it will say unmount system.
5. Then select format data, then yes.
6. Then select format cache, then yes.
7. Back arrow
8. Select install zip from SD Card.
9. Find zip in download folder and select it, then yes.
10. Once installed, hit back button and reboot.
A THEME CORRECTLY.1. Download theme zip on your phone browser
2. Open Droid X Bootstrap app, click bootstrap recovery, click ok, then select reboot recovery.
3. Once in green screen, mount system if Theme instructions say to.
4. If switching from theme to theme, format cache in mounts. If there is no existing theme, then there is no needto format anything.
5. Install zip from SD Card
6. Find zip in download folder and select it.
7. After install is complete, hit back button, and reboot.
AN APP NOT DOWNLOADED FROM THE MARKET.If you should ever have to download an app not on the market like the Z4 root app, there are a few steps to follow.
1. Turn USB Debugging on by going to settings->applications->development.
2. Download apk (app) in your phones browser and it will be in your download folder.
3. When download is complete, you can pull the notification bar down and click on the download OR go to your file manager, open the download folder and click on the download there.
4. When you click on it, a pop up will appear. Choose packet installer.
5. Select Install
6. Select Launch
Last edited by Droid-Xer; 01-05-2011 at 10:59 PM.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR AN OTA UPDATE...
BREAKING NEWS- New update zip by Maderschramm. Install this via clockwork recovery in order to update to 2.3.340 from 2.3.15 or 2.3.320 or as an alternative to SBFing. Link HERE
No stock backup
SBF back to stock system version
30.03 bootloader needs SBF for 2.3.15
This will allow you to take the update to Android version 2.2.1 system version 2.3.340
30.04 bootloader needs SBF for 2.3.320 and patch for 2.3.340
This will allow you to update to ......
Pick up all the tools needed for SBF here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...sbf-files.html
With stock backup or close to stock, no ROM
1. Flash backup in clockwork recovery via Droid X Bootstrap
2. Ensure all removed system apps are restored (ie. bloatware)
Missing apps? Download HERE
Using Titanium Backup? Defrost all system apps
Using Root Explorer? Rename all system apps back to apk
3. Once all system apps are back on the phone, ensure you are odexed.
4. If you ever themed, ROMmed, or manually deodexed, then install zip file via Clockwork Recovery to odex your phone. Download HERE
5. After odexing, remove Droid X Bootstrap. Follow the directions in post #2 HERE
6. DO NOT UNROOT. IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS THAT ARISE, IT WILL BE EASIER TO FIX ISSUES WITH ROOT.
7. Go to settings->about phone->system updates and download update.
8. Run update install
Last edited by Droid-Xer; 02-16-2011 at 10:02 PM.
GOOD HABITS TO LEARN...
WHEN TO MAKE A NANDROID (BACKUP)1. Immediately after rooting
2. Prior to installing a ROM or theme
3. Prior to modifying the system framework or services.jar
4. Prior to making other permanent mods like font or text changes in pull down screen.
NOTE: You can always move backups to your PC, more tips HERE
Last edited by Droid-Xer; 01-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Great list X'er! I would suggest a how-to or link to one for unbricking a phone. Having just recovered my phone myself, I know how valuable those instructions were.
Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App
That would be the SBF tutorial in the first post. The link is how to SBF. Sorry we can't post links for SBFs
Originally Posted by RKramden
You're tearing it up with these new guides Xer! You might have to get a sub forum.
Droid-Xer's Guides - Read Before Rooting
Good job Xer!
Originally Posted by 1KDS
I suggest: Droid-Xer's Guides - Life, the Universe, and Everything. Oh wait..LOL.
HAHA. i have too much free time! Its so sad