[GUIDE] Modifications: Risk vs. Reward
I'm putting this guide together to help new users decide if certain modifications are for them or not. There are many mods being thrown on phones that most users don't even know what they do. Research is the best resource. Don't do something to your phone without knowing what it does and how to uninstall it.
Root is having administrative access to your phone. This allows you full control over all aspects of your phone to include system files.
1. You can remove unwanted system apps (bloatware) on your phone.
2. You can improve speed by overclocking the CPU
3. You can create a wireless hotspot
4. You can install custom themes for
5. You can install custom ROMs
1. You will void your one year replacement warranty if VZW finds out you're rooted
2. You open your phone up to powerful apps/modifications that can cause serious damage if you're not careful with them.
This involves either deleting, renaming, or freezing unwanted system apps.
1. Improved battery savings by removing constantly running system apps.
2. Cleaner looking app drawer
1. Removing a vital system app can cause serious issues with your user interface.
2. Deleting, renaming, or freezing system apps may cause issues with receiving OTA updates from VZW.
3. Some system apps may not work if a complimentary app is removed.
This involves using a third party app to increase the clock speed over the stock 1.0ghz processor.
1. Improved performance.
2. Faster transitions.
1. Shortened processor life.
2. Overheating which also can lead to a lower life span for the processor.
3. When "Set at boot" option is selected, bootloops can occur if overclock speed is not set at a stable speed.
This involves downloading a tethering app that will turn your phone into a ad hoc wireless hotspot.
1. Ability to connect other wireless devices to the internet via the phones 3G signal.
2. No need for an additional internet provider.
1. Heavy battery drain, which can lower the life span of the battery.
2. Tethering large amounts of data will catch the eye of VZW.
TBH 3G Hotspot Patch
This is the official VZW hotspot being hacked into to provide 3G hotspot benefits without being charged for its use.
1. Better/truer connection than ad hoc tethering.
2. No need to pay $20 for use of the official VZW service.
1. This is a direct violation of your terms of service with VZW.
2. VZW will terminate your contract if this is found.
3. Using large amounts of data will also put you on VZWs radar.
Removing the data governer/throttling
VZW lowers data speeds to users who use more than 5gb and during peak bandwidth usage times and this hack removes that data limit. This does not necessarily increase speeds for average users.
1. More constant data speeds for heavy users.
2. No drop in down/upload speeds.
1. You are modifying the services.jar, if you don't know what this is, perhaps you shouldn't be modifying it.
2. Can no longer turn off 3G in settings.
Themes modify the framework of your phone.
1. The ability to customize your phone.
1. Bootlooping if not installed correctly.
ROMs change the entire system of the phone.
1. Increased performance.
2. Easier to use interface.
3. Ability to customize the system.
1. Bootlooping if not installed correctly.
2. Bricking your phone and needing to SBF.
3. Permanent brick.
These are a few of the more common modifications taken on by many users. If I left something out or if you would like something described more in detail, let me know. This is more of a guide for new users rather than more experienced users. So help if you can and keep unproductive comments to yourslef. Thanks, Rob
Last edited by Droid-Xer; 01-14-2011 at 12:42 PM.
01-03-2011 03:04 AM
Droid X Forums
Reserved for more rambling
How can overclocking your CPU result in faster download speeds? It can't
Otherwise very nice.
Beamed from my DroidX
Damn, Beat me to it...
Originally Posted by DebianDog
Nice write up tho...
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
Only the Skilled Survive
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
1. Never be unarmed.
2. See Rule #1
USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Will edit. Pardon my lack of common sense
Last edited by Droid-Xer; 01-03-2011 at 06:15 AM.
You know if I had read this before I probably would not have rommed..lol..this is a bit more serious than the og droid..
Nice write up man, good idea!
Hopefully it'll answer a few questions before they're asked.
Originally Posted by 1KDS
or at least an easy link to post when they do get asked
you sir get one more sticky