Installing Busybox on rooted Droid X

This is a discussion on Installing Busybox on rooted Droid X within the Hacking Help forums, part of the Droid X Development category; BusyBox combines many common Unix utilities into one executable and makes them available for root users. It's very useful for getting into the android file ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Ack
  • 1 Post By Ack

Thread: Installing Busybox on rooted Droid X

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Post Installing Busybox on rooted Droid X

BusyBox combines many common Unix utilities into one executable and makes them available for root users. It's very useful for getting into the android file system and checking things out or hacking it more. This is a step by step guide to installing BusyBox on your Droid X.

First download the BusyBox binary from here. Then attach your phone with a USB cable and mount the sdcard. Copy the BusyBox binary to the root folder of your sdcard. Make sure your X is rooted first then open up ADB and open a shell on your phone.
    Code:
    adb shell
    Next you need to login as root
    Code:
    $ rootshell
    and enter the password.

Mount the /system folder to write to
    Code:
    # mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    Check and see if /system/xbin folder exists and if it doesn't create it
    Code:
    # mkdir /system/xbin
    Go to the xbin folder and move the busybox binary from your sdcard to the xbin folder
    Code:
    # cd /system/xbin
    # cat /sdcard/busybox-armv61 > busybox
    Give BusyBox permissions to install
    Code:
    # chmod 755 busybox
    Remount the /system folder as read only
    Code:
    # mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    You may now run the busybox binary and use the built in programs from anywhere in the shell.
    I'm Ack, a college student who runs two tech companies, works at a major consulting firm, and does personal consulting as well; oh and I play soccer and volleyball on the side . Follow me: here

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Pursuant Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesYour first Group100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Nice, thanks!
    Having SBF/RSD Lite issues? Make sure you have the right drivers installed! (32-bit or 64-bit)
    www.FreeMyMoto.com -- Android kexec project

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks!

[Now what do I do with it???]

Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by InfamousDX View Post
    Thanks!

[Now what do I do with it???]
    It's basically just some extra programs that come standard in linux distros, commands like echo and cp (and a ton of other basic linux commands) are allowed with busybox. If your not a developer this probably won't matter much to you though.
    I'm Ack, a college student who runs two tech companies, works at a major consulting firm, and does personal consulting as well; oh and I play soccer and volleyball on the side . Follow me: here

X Operative Achievements:
    Your first Group250 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Just thought I'd offer a non adb shell method that works for people with the original Droid, so it shouldn't be a problem with the X. Depending how Android literate you are my directions may be more hard. (Root Explorer needed)

Download Titanium Backup from the market
    Open it up and let it install Busybox
    Open Root Explorer and search Busybox
    Copy that file that shows up
    Paste file in /system/bin and /system/xbin

If this doesn't work for you let me know and I'll remove it, this method worked on the Droid.

Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    That sounds like it should work, not sure if titanium would install it correctly but someone would have to try it to find out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by titans View Post
    Just thought I'd offer a non adb shell method that works for people with the original Droid, so it shouldn't be a problem with the X. Depending how Android literate you are my directions may be more hard. (Root Explorer needed)

Download Titanium Backup from the market
    Open it up and let it install Busybox
    Open Root Explorer and search Busybox
    Copy that file that shows up
    Paste file in /system/bin and /system/xbin

If this doesn't work for you let me know and I'll remove it, this method worked on the Droid.
    Well tried this method and when you install Titanium Backup, it will give you an error stating it could not acquire access and to make sure busy box is installed. I have root access on my phone, but noticed that there was an option that will let you update busybox and install it correclty. Once I did that Titanium Backup opened up fine and work. So what I gathered if you install Titanium Back Up let it search for the busy box update and everything will work at least it did for me. Yes you still have to manually copy the files to /system/bin, /system/xbin.

Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by drvfasr View Post
    Well tried this method and when you install Titanium Backup, it will give you an error stating it could not acquire access and to make sure busy box is installed. I have root access on my phone, but noticed that there was an option that will let you update busybox and install it correclty. Once I did that Titanium Backup opened up fine and work. So what I gathered if you install Titanium Back Up let it search for the busy box update and everything will work at least it did for me. Yes you still have to manually copy the files to /system/bin, /system/xbin.
    It's good someone tried it then. Since titanium uses BusyBox functions that's why it doesn't really work. Still good information to know.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What is the busybox I installed off the market? Also Titanium backup says I have busy box 1.16.0 installed. I thought we copied busybox files while roooting? I didn't get it via adb. Just trying learn :-) Thanks
    Last edited by GetPhuct; 07-24-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GetPhuct View Post
    What is the busybox I installed off the market? Also Titanium backup says I have busy box 1.16.0 installed. I thought we copied busybox files while roooting? I didn't get it via adb. Just trying learn :-) Thanks
    The app on the market can do it for you if don have RW access. This method allows you to do it if you don't have RW access. You do have BusyBox installed if Titanium says that you do. This guide is also for people who did not install BusyBox when they were rooting their phone.
    GetPhuct likes this.

Remove Ads

Ads