Themes: Custom ROM Launchers vs. GoLauncher EX

This is a discussion on Themes: Custom ROM Launchers vs. GoLauncher EX within the Gingerbread Roms forums, part of the Gingerbread Development and Hacking category; Originally Posted by stryker Its as simple as this. All root apps work on every ROM, no matter what it is. The benefits would be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Themes: Custom ROM Launchers vs. GoLauncher EX

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stryker View Post
    Its as simple as this. All root apps work on every ROM, no matter what it is. The benefits would be a snappier feel, or better battery life, or more theming options depending in what ROM you pic. 2nd init roms have not that good battery life, not even close to what you get stock, but the speed of everything is crazy faster, and they have more customization options. Like toggles in the pull down area, lockscreen customizing ect. And all the stock apps are aosp, not moto blur. A normal blur ROM, or a non 2nd init rom gets better battery life then stock and more or less is the same speed. So you could overclock/unclock, run v6 super charger, Jakes mods, powerboost script if you wanted on a custom ROM, but is really not needed. some roms include some of those things all ready. The dev has the ROM pretty much all ready tweaked and ready to go. It would be up to you to customize the theme to your liking, either with a launcher that supports themes, or applying a theme for the ROM you are on. Its pretty much a feel thing to. Like some roms feel faster to me. No explanation ,they just do. Its all personal preference.

=(.stryker.originals.miui.)=
    Okay, yeah, thanks, that's one of the things I was wondering (basically, if Stock + Juice Defender customized would have as good battery life as Vortex/Apex + Juice Defender, or if Stock + Overclocking would be as fast as 2nd-Init + Overclocking). So ROMs are basically pre-bundled customizations of settings/functions/apps with root access. The reason it's confusing is that it does appear some users here like to customize these settings further even after flashing a non-stock ROM. Goose left a detailed post on over/underclocking in my thread in GB Hacking:
    What Do You Use for Over/Underclocking and Undervolting?
    I figure I'll experiment with underclocking and additional battery-saving with stuff like Juice Defender, but you've answered my main query there.

You do mention that 2nd-Init ROMs "have more customization options: like toggles in the pull down area, lockscreen customizing, etc." I noticed I am able to customize not just the theme but the lockscreen with GO Locker, but that requires me using the GO Launcher EX. So do you mean that I could customize these things on Wizard's MIUI regardless of which Launcher I chose to use? It's like built-in to the ROM itself? What are your other favorite customizable features in Wizard's MIUI that I couldn't get on Vortex/Apex? I figure these latter ROMs are for me, since battery life is my chief concern, but everyone is ecstatic about Wizard's MIUI right now, and as a newbie to flashing my curiosity is definitely piqued.
    Last edited by Madmick; 03-14-2012 at 12:08 AM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
    Okay, yeah, thanks, that's one of the things I was wondering (basically, if Stock + Juice Defender customized would have as good battery life as Vortex/Apex + Juice Defender, or if Stock + Overclocking would be as fast as 2nd-Init + Overclocking). So ROMs are basically pre-bundled customizations of settings/functions/apps with root access. The reason it's confusing is that it does appear some users here like to customize these settings further even after flashing a non-stock ROM. Goose left a detailed post on over/underclocking in my thread in GB Hacking:
    What Do You Use for Over/Underclocking and Undervolting?
    I figure I'll experiment with underclocking and additional battery-saving with stuff like Juice Defender, but you've answered my main query there.

You do mention that 2nd-Init ROMs "have more customization options: like toggles in the pull down area, lockscreen customizing, etc." I noticed I am able to customize not just the theme but the lockscreen with GO Locker, but that requires me using the GO Launcher EX. So do you mean that I could customize these things on Wizard's MIUI regardless of which Launcher I chose to use? It's like built-in to the ROM itself? What are your other favorite customizable features in Wizard's MIUI that I couldn't get on Vortex/Apex? I figure these latter ROMs are for me, since battery life is my chief concern, but everyone is ecstatic about Wizard's MIUI right now, and as a newbie to flashing my curiosity is definitely piqued.
    I'm saying in miui you can customize everything with the built in theme manager. I know because I build themes for miui. As for tweaking. I underclock on no Mattert what ROM I'm on. like on miui, i run quickclock to find my max and min, wrote it down. Then uninstall quickclock and plug the numbers into the built in overclocking wizard added. As for juice defender, I was i die hard juice defender user for a year on numerous roms. Its a waste of money dude. You can get the same battery life by just tapping the sync, wifi, and data toggles to off if you're phone is going to be off for a long time. on any ROM, if the ROM does not come with built in toggles, then use extended settings or widgetoid. Miui has built In customizable toggles so i don't even use those apps anymore. Sorry not trying to push miui on to you but its just that good to me. people think the miui launcher is an ios clone, the only similarities is neither have an app drawer. I love miui launcher, but you could use go launcher, adw or what every one you wanted instead from the market. So pretty much you could use all 3rd party apps from the market on stock. Go has pretty much everything covered with 3rd party apps. Lockscreen wise miui has way more cool lockscreens then go locker, widgetocker, or magiclocker have. Most are ported from miui lockscreens. But you could use either one that i said with miui also to have even more options and just switch between them all you dig? But go apps have to be used with go launcher. So if you don't use go launcher, you can't use go locker or any other go app. But you can use go launcher with any ROM instead of what it comes with. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You can use what every you want on what every Rom you want. You just have to read the op of the ROM you are wanting to run to see if there are any major issues or programs, or tweaks that might not agree with that ROM if it has them all ready built in. And its like this, just try it. I have try stuff that did not agree with the ROM i was running. All you do is sbf and learn your lesson. Lol i would suggest learning how to sbf like its second nature. If you are tweaking and flashing roms, things will go wrong eventually and you will need to sbf. I have sbf my phone so many times i lost track. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row cause i messed up.

Last edited by stryker; 03-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    Typed from my laptop.

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stryker View Post
    I'm saying in miui you can customize everything with the built in theme manager. I know because I build themes for miui. As for tweaking. I underclock on no Mattert what ROM I'm on. like on miui, i run quickclock to find my max and min, wrote it down. Then uninstall quickclock and plug the numbers into the built in overclocking wizard added. As for juice defender, I was i die hard juice defender user for a year on numerous roms. Its a waste of money dude. You can get the same battery life by just tapping the sync, wifi, and data toggles to off if you're phone is going to be off for a long time. on any ROM, if the ROM does not come with built in toggles, then use extended settings or widgetoid. Miui has built In customizable toggles so i don't even use those apps anymore. Sorry not trying to push miui on to you but its just that good to me. people think the miui launcher is an ios clone, the only similarities is neither have an app drawer. I love miui launcher, but you could use go launcher, adw or what every one you wanted instead from the market. So pretty much you could use all 3rd party apps from the market on stock. Go has pretty much everything covered with 3rd party apps. Lockscreen wise miui has way more cool lockscreens then go locker, widgetocker, or magiclocker have. Most are ported from miui lockscreens. But you could use either one that i said with miui also to have even more options and just switch between them all you dig? But go apps have to be used with go launcher. So if you don't use go launcher, you can't use go locker or any other go app. But you can use go launcher with any ROM instead of what it comes with. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You can use what every you want on what every Rom you want. You just have to read the op of the ROM you are wanting to run to see if there are any major issues or programs, or tweaks that might not agree with that ROM if it has them all ready built in. And its like this, just try it. I have try stuff that did not agree with the ROM i was running. All you do is sbf and learn your lesson. Lol i would suggest learning how to sbf like its second nature. If you are tweaking and flashing roms, things will go wrong eventually and you will need to sbf. I have sbf my phone so many times i lost track. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row cause i messed up.

Cool, yeah, that's what I figured, and thanks for answering that: that I could use the Go themes/lockers on any ROM but only with that launcher (and so on for the other launchers). I asked this in the Apex forum but I'll also ask here: where is the best repository for Apex/Vortex themes? It sounds like MIUI has a built-in theme manager like Go Launcher that will take me to a theme marketplace, but Apex's default launcher, for example, doesn't. I'm looking for the best place to find all the different themes developed for Apex's default launcher that I believe I must install from a zip via Recovery. For example, I think a theme you developed, Stryker Orange, fits this description. The themes subforum didn't have any single page I could find with all of them in one place and with previews like the GO Launcher marketplace. Are they just scattered across the web?

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Best place to look for apex/vortex themes is in the gingerbread themes forum here or over in the droid x themes forum on rootzwiki.com. Each theme usually has its own thread, though the threads do typically have screenshots. I don't think there are many themes for either rom. MIUI and go launcher on the other hand are used across multiple phones/tablets and therefore have much larger followings. You are correct that themes for apex and vortex all have to be flashed in CWM. They aren't instant like go themes or miui themes. Also, the vortex/apex roms are all or nothing. You can't pick to flash just the launcher portion of the theme or the lockscreen portion (this is not 100% true).
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Launcher themes are different than whole ROM themes. While ROM themes theme everything, or what ever the developer choose to theme. Launcher themes theme just the launcher, like go launcher themes work on go launcher, adw themes work on adw launcher. for example go and adw are 3rd party launchers. ROM devs might choose to add one, or more launchers to there ROM. but anyone can still get them from the market. As for me, if i am theming a ROM i usually do the whatever the stock launcher is, if there is more then one in a ROM i do none. People use different launchers, i usually leave that up to the user whIch launcher they run and sometimes do not theme the launcher. But my miui themes, i do everything, all the stock apps, and the launcher. But miui has there own launcher built in that is not 3rd party do that's different. Can anyone else back me up on this. I can't really explain this good enough i guess. like i said, read. I post on 4 or 5 different forums, and have read every post on them all pretty much and learned from trial and error.

Last edited by stryker; 03-15-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    Typed from my laptop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads