Already Bricked

This is a discussion on Already Bricked within the Gingerbread Roms forums, part of the Gingerbread Development and Hacking category; Batch can be used for free or paid, the only difference is with the free version you have to confirm the installation of every app...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Already Bricked

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Batch can be used for free or paid, the only difference is with the free version you have to confirm the installation of every app

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by csk415 View Post
    Isn't the batch operation only for the paid version? If the free is being used its one at a time. I used the free version but not the paid.

StrykedVorteX X
    I think that's what I remember, too, but it's been a while.

Also, be careful with restoring system data! I guess it would be okay if you are on the exact same rom, but I never do it. There's nothing there I've ever found I need to restore and it has caused me all kinds of FCs, etc. I only restore apps+data. You can filter out all the system stuff so it isn't even a problem.
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Leach19m View Post
    Batch can be used for free or paid, the only difference is with the free version you have to confirm the installation of every app
    Yeah, I figured this out the hard way because I didn't unlock the Pro with key before I began restoring. I did it correctly once I restored apps on Vortex and was like, "Oh, sweet."
    Quote Originally Posted by jeems View Post
    I think that's what I remember, too, but it's been a while.

Also, be careful with restoring system data! I guess it would be okay if you are on the exact same rom, but I never do it. There's nothing there I've ever found I need to restore and it has caused me all kinds of FCs, etc. I only restore apps+data. You can filter out all the system stuff so it isn't even a problem.
    Ah, crap, I already restored system data on Vortex that I backed up on stock. Should I re-SBF? What is an FC, btw?

Now that I know the process, I wanted to take a look at MIUI. Wizard calls for an SBF to prep for that anyway, so I figure I can kill two birds with one stone. What are the exact steps I should take to flash MIUI from Vortex, Jeems? I'm on Gingerbread 2.3.3 build but with the 605 system version and the 2.6.32.9 kernel, so I should be safe to flash a 2nd-Init ROM, right? This excerpt from MacPro88's "2nd-Init" thread is a bit confusing:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacPro88
    Another thing everyone needs to know about 2nd-INIT, is that it only works on the older kernel from the Froyo 2.3.340 builds. This means that it will not work coming from any of the Gingerbread versions we currently have for the DROID X due to the fact they have an update Gingerbread kernel.

(This does not mean that you are not running Gingerbread (Android 2.3), however. The base operating system for all 2nd-INIT ROM's is is fact Gingerbread 2.3.3 or higher, some are running 2.3.4 and soon to be 2.3.5.)

The kernel version should be: 2.6.32.9

With this in mind, to flash a 2nd-INIT ROM, you must be on this kernel! Meaning you must already be on another 2nd-INIT ROM, you must be on Froyo, or you must be on a Froyo ROM.

Flashing from Gingerbread builds with the new Gingerbread kernel will result in a brick.
    I'm 99% certain I meet the requirements from the text in blue, but the text in red seems like it might contradict it. I know I'm not on a 2nd-Init ROM with Vortex and that I'm not on Android 2.2 Froyo. So I'm guessing that when I rooted my phone on the 605 system version it meant that my stock ROM was now a "Froyo ROM"? I've been careful to avoid the 621 update. In any case, please list me instructions step-by-step on how to flash MIUI from Vortex.

Once I learn that, all I have to execute is a flash back to a Blur ROM from the 2nd-Init ROM, and then I think I'll have my full beard: Root, TiBu Backup, Nandroid, SBF, stock-to-Blur, Blur-to-2ndInit, 2ndInit-back-to-Blur...and I won't have to bug you guys as much, LOL.
    Last edited by Madmick; 03-08-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
    Yeah, I figured this out the hard way because I didn't unlock the Pro with key before I began restoring. I did it correctly once I restored apps on Vortex and was like, "Oh, sweet."

Ah, crap, I already restored system data on Vortex that I backed up on stock. Should I re-SBF? What is an FC, btw?

Now that I know the process, I wanted to take a look at MIUI. Wizard calls for an SBF to prep for that anyway, so I figure I can kill two birds with one stone. What are the exact steps I should take to flash MIUI from Vortex, Jeems? I'm on Gingerbread 2.3.3 build but with the 605 system version and the 2.6.32.9 kernel, so I should be safe to flash a 2nd-Init ROM, right? This excerpt from MacPro88's "2nd-Init" thread is a bit confusing:

I'm 99% certain I meet the requirements from the text in blue, but the text in red seems like it might contradict it. I know I'm not on a 2nd-Init ROM with Vortex and that I'm not on Android 2.2 Froyo. So I'm guessing that when I rooted my phone on the 605 system version it meant that my stock ROM was now a "Froyo ROM"? I've been careful to avoid the 621 update. In any case, please list me instructions step-by-step on how to flash MIUI from Vortex.

Once I learn that, all I have to execute is a flash back to a Blur ROM from the 2nd-Init ROM, and then I think I'll have my full beard: Root, TiBu Backup, Nandroid, SBF, stock-to-Blur, Blur-to-2ndInit, 2ndInit-back-to-Blur...and I won't have to bug you guys as much, LOL.
    FC = force close. You will get popups saying "this application has force closed unexpectedly" or similar. f you aren't having any trouble you might be ok. VorteX was my first ROM and every time I restored system data it messed up. I think I flashed 3 or 4 times before I figured out what was causing it. If you do start having issues I would try just reflashing VorteX first. Also, if you made a nandroid of your stock rooted condition you could restore it and reflash vortex on that. This is a very useful backup and I always keep mine on my SD card. SBF is usually for when you can't get to recovery or can't get it to boot. Some people use it for a fresh start, but I just use that nandroid of my stock rooted system.

As for MacPro's post, I think it might be outdated, though I'm not sure the original thread. I'm pretty sure 2nd init was originally on froyo only, but that has all changed. You can flash from GB now. To install MIUI just follow wizards directions. SBF is probably best if you have the time. That said, I did his "cheat SBF" method using my stock-rooted .605 nandroid (see, this thing's handy!) and have not had any issues. Just restore the nandroid or SBF and follow his directions to a T.

Just some info: Any time you SBF to .602/605 you are on Gingerbread. Rooting doesn't affect this. The .340 that you see refers to Froyo and is pretty much gone now. There are some people who still use it and the older ROMs that ran it, but I would say most people are on GB now.
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    First off, congrats on losing your SBF virginity. Its really a rite of passage around these parts if your a ROMer/modder, so get comfortable. I've probably done it around 20-30 times. Eventually you get so comfortable flashing that you make the stupid mistakes (like when I was in Clockwork just speed hitting buttons down at the bar wiping and reflashing my /system because I had made a stupid mistake, and accidently hit Reboot System without applying the ROM .zip, so I rebooted with no /system installed... boom Red M of Death. LOL. Didn't have a phone the rest of the night till I could get home and resurrect it)

A couple days late here, but figured I'd give ya just a few pointers for rolling around here through various ROMs as it can be a touch confusing when your first learning it:

So all development nowadays is more or less focused on GB as stated above.

If you are on blur based (which is mainly Vortex, Liberty, Apex, stock) you will use D2 Bootstrap to get in to Recovery. If you use ROM Manager just use it to go in and flash the latest clockwork (make sure you select Droid 2).

When on 2nd-init (CM7/9, MIUI being main ones usually used) you hold Power Button hit Reboot and the Clockwork Recovery (usually labeled as CWM Recovery) you don't touch Droid 2 bootstrapper at all unless you like SBFing once your on 2nd-init. You can use ROM Manager and update the Clockwork if needed (just choose to Update Clockwork and then choose Droid X (2nd-init) ) but its not necessary usually unless there is a new Clockwork which there hasn't been for ages.

If needing to SBF just use either .602 or .605, honestly very little difference between the two .605 was just a small keyboard fix. Whatever you do do not take an OTA when on stock to .621, or SBF to .621. That's definitely on the never never list right now.

If you are moving between various ROMs I always recommend a cheat SBF if you don't do a full one. A cheat SBF is when in Clockwork do a /data, /cache, /dalvik, /system wipe (dalvik is found under advanced and system is found under mounts and storage). This should feasibly avoid problems between various ROMs. If you are updating to just a newer version of a current ROM, the install instructions can be a bit simpler (usually something along the lines of a cache wipe and flash) but always follow instructions in OP as some are different (for example when Wiz put out HDMI fix a full wipe was needed).

Finally, with Titanium Backup just restore user apps + data, as that is usually safe (things like games and the like) I've never had a problem with doing this, its restoring system apps that'll break your phone and make you go to force close hell or make you SBF. Some ROMs have custom Recovery options built in (MIUI has MIUI Backup for example) I use these to limited functionality, just using to backup my homescreen/themes etc so I don't need to rebuild those if I have to wipe. You can use it like Titanium for apps and whatnot, but I've always heard of various issues cropping up, and it only works on MIUI whereas Titanium works for pretty much all ROMs, so its just a lot more simple and reliable.
    Last edited by Goose306; 03-12-2012 at 08:14 AM.

3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    How do you verify if you've successfully SBF'd? In the Ragemod's video for 1KDS's method, once the SBF is complete, you will see a screen with the following text:
    You script has now finished
    You need to factory reset your phone
    Remove the battery & Install
    Hold Home & Power as it Boots
    Release and Hit Both Volume Buttons at the droid/triangle screen
    Wipe Data, Wipe Cache, Reboot
    Press 1 then enter to shutdown your PC
    As I mentioned in my initial SBF, I got a "Script failed" screen instead of the above, but then when I did the factory reset, the phone booted up. As you can see from this thread, I'd attempted wiping cache and factor resetting at Silver's suggestion before attempting an SBF, and it didn't get me out of the bootloop. Despite the "script failed" screen, after SBFing and then taking these steps (as is protocol for the SBF), I was able to boot successfully, so I assumed that the SBF had actually succeeded.

Then, last night, to help a friend who also has a Droid X that's been misbehaving, I attempted an SBF. It didn't appear to succeed, so this morning I tried to SBF on mine, too. I don't even get a "Script failed" screen anymore. All the processes take place, and then they verify, and everything says "good" but next I immediately go to the screen listing options to root (1. Droid 3 method, 2. Zergrush method, 3. Shutdown PC). On Mac/Linux, this is the exact same as the screen used to initialize the SBF process: where you hit "1" then the "Enter" key. We don't get asked, "Are you ready to SBF Flash your phone?" We just have the list of items above, except #1 is the option to SBF your phone, and the rest of those options are moved down a place (so 2. Root Droid 3 Method, 3. Root using Zergrush, 4. Shutdown PC).

Basically, I'm never getting a screen telling me the script has succeeded or failed. When I first learned how to root, I ended up downloading an app called "Root Checker Basic" just to verify that I'd rooted. How do I verify if I've successfully SBF'd? The Android setup screen comes up, but don't you have to set up if you do a factory wipe/reset from the "Droid/Triangle Screen" anyway?
    Last edited by Madmick; 03-16-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    You know how i know if an sbf worked? My phone boots up to the eyeball boot animation lol. From there i pull battery and go into stock recovery and wipe data. Then hit reboot. If you keep getting a fail, like you said on your phone or someone elses. I would re download 1kds's 605 or 602 file and toss the disc you have now in the trash and burn a new one. I have had rsd lite fail, but never 1kd's or wugfreshed sbfboot. You might of got a bad download. So pretty much if you can't get your phone to boot up after you did the sbf and wiped data in stock recovery. You failed!!! :-)

=(.stryker.originals.miui.)=
    Last edited by stryker; 03-16-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    Typed from my laptop.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stryker View Post
    You know how i know if an sbf worked? My phone boots up to the eyeball boot animation lol. From there i pull battery and go into stock recovery and wipe data. Then hit reboot. If you keep getting a fail, like you said on your phone or someone elses. I would re download 1kds's 605 or 602 file and toss the disc you have now in the trash and burn a new one. I have had rsd lite fail, but never 1kd's or wugfreshed sbfboot. You might of got a bad download. So pretty much if you can't get your phone to boot up after you did the sbf and wiped data in stock recovery. You failed!!! :-)

No, that's what I get. Apparently I succeeded. Once the process finishes and I see that screen with 3 options my phone automatically transitions from the Bootload mode to a bootloop with the red eye. Then I clear battery and proceed. So cool. Just checking.

I flashed MIUI. It took me about 10 minutes to realize that there's no app menu and that it just keeps all apps stored on the pages, LOL. Not a huge fan of that setup, especially since I have to hit the Menu key then "Preview" to see all my pages, but I'll get used to it. It definitely doesn't look anything like Blur. And I already downloaded a Transformers theme that is beastin'. It's nuts how every app changes. Can I change the Hotseat apps like I could with Apex? That was my favorite feature. On Apex, I had Messaging, Dialer, AppMenu, Opera Mini, and Root Explorer as my hotseats. There's no AppMenu with MIUI, but I still would like to customize hotseats.

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
    No, that's what I get. Apparently I succeeded. Once the process finishes and I see that screen with 3 options my phone automatically transitions from the Bootload mode to a bootloop with the red eye. Then I clear battery and proceed. So cool. Just checking.

I flashed MIUI. It took me about 10 minutes to realize that there's no app menu and that it just keeps all apps stored on the pages, LOL. Not a huge fan of that setup, especially since I have to hit the Menu key then "Preview" to see all my pages, but I'll get used to it. It definitely doesn't look anything like Blur. And I already downloaded a Transformers theme that is beastin'. It's nuts how every app changes. Can I change the Hotseat apps like I could with Apex? That was my favorite feature. On Apex, I had Messaging, Dialer, AppMenu, Opera Mini, and Root Explorer as my hotseats. There's no AppMenu with MIUI, but I still would like to customize hotseats.
    You can have up to 6 icons in the hotseat, and you can drag what ever apps you want down there. Miui has the most customizing of themes out of any ROM. Go launcher might have more extras, but most of it is junk. My fav launcher is miui. I don't use the app drawer anyways, its just an extra step i don't need. If you do like the app drawer. Just put all your icons into 1 folder and put it in your dock just like the app drawer. Or use the app drawer that comes in the miui control panel app.

Last edited by stryker; 03-16-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    Typed from my laptop.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    How do I add/modify hotseats? Can't find it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads