This Forum Needs an Up-to-Date Centralized Installation Sticky

This is a discussion on This Forum Needs an Up-to-Date Centralized Installation Sticky within the Gingerbread Roms forums, part of the Gingerbread Development and Hacking category; The installation instructions for Vortex appears simple. Download the .zip files. Then ROM Manager has an option to reboot straight into Clockwork recovery and also ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: This Forum Needs an Up-to-Date Centralized Installation Sticky

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

This Forum Needs an Up-to-Date Centralized Installation Sticky

The installation instructions for Vortex appears simple. Download the .zip files. Then ROM Manager has an option to reboot straight into Clockwork recovery and also the option to wipe the cache/dalvik cache. Then I will install the zipss, Reboot, setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by deVorteX View Post
    Installation:
    You should be able to install this coming from any 602 or 605 rom. Recommend you have baseband .13p already.

1. Download To SD-Card
    2. Reboot into Clockwork Recovery
    3. Wipe Data / Cache / Dalvik Cache
    4. Install the zip
    5. Reboot (First bootup will appear to bootloop. It will only do this once, just be patient)
    6. Go through initial setup
    7. **Enjoy**
    Nevertheless, I read several warning to do my reading. Well, I've been reading for over three hours and I'm only more confused than when I began. I've never flashed a ROM before. I want to start with Apex or Vortex, but I'd also like to know how to install a 2nd-Init ROM in case that is fundamentally different. The confusion, I believe, results from the fact that so many of these stickies have been written over the course of an evolving process, and aren't referenced by a centralized, master sticky that lays out the whole process and explains the relevance/goal of each step in that process. Perhaps some steps aren't necessary for some users who only rooted recently, like myself, and don't have to worry about updating their kernel or system version or Android version or whatever. Most of these stickies haven't been edited for a year or more; many don't define the basic terminology they use. I'm not sure what's obsolete, what's overlapping, and what's relevant to my versions. Here's a list of stickies I've been wandering through (with latest edit date for each):

All-In-One Root Thread (March 2011)
    How to Be Ready for Anything (February 2011)
    How to Use Droid X Bootstrapper (March 2011)
    How to Be Ready to Flash GB/2nd Init ROMs (August 2011)
    GB.602! ROOT! Start Here! Links to All (September 2011)
    maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 Update Zip (January 2011)
    Complete Droid .sbf Flashing Guide (February 2011)
    Linux Solution to Your Windows/RSD Lite Problems (Today)

For example, in "How to Be Ready for Anything", step one is to make a Nandroid (a "backup") with Droid X Boostrapper Recovery, but it's never made clear to me how this is different than the "backups" I've made with Titanium Backup Pro. Furthermore, I recall seeing somewhere in this forum or elsewhere that Droid X Bootstrapper Recovery is obsolete and Droid 2 Boostrapper Recovery is the one I want to use should I desire to install a 2nd Init ROM for the first time. Then there's discussion of "SBF" as a backup method in case the Droid X somehow gets bricked that allows the user to restore to Factory VZW stock. But maderstcok came up with that zip file, so is SBF'ing obsolete? Or does his simpler way of restoring to 2.3.340 lack some benefits of a full SBF backup? Why am I doing all these different backups? What does each uniquely achieve that the others do not? I understand that Titanium Backup backs up my apps and system data so that I don't have to re-download them once I flash a new ROM, but I'm not sure why it isn't sufficient to create a "nandroid". I understand that SBF is a safeguard to reboot to factory settings in case I brick my phone, but I'm not sure how this is different from Bootstrapper. I understand that 2nd-Init doesn't unlock the bootloader, but I'm uncertain if Blur ROMs are different, and what differences there are in the steps to install 2nd Init versus Blur ROMs.

I've downloaded so many Root utility apps I feel like I have more Bloat than I'll end up freezing. I'm on the 4.5.605 System Version, 2.3.3 Android Version, and 2.6.32.9 Kernel Version. The following is the list of all the apps/files I've ended up downloading just to try to start flashing ROMs:

Root Explorer
    Titanium Backup Pro
    ROM Manager
    Busybox Pro
    Droid 2 Bootstrapper
    Droid X Bootstrapper
    RSD Lite
    SQLite Editor

Motorola Droid X Driver
    maderstcok OTA 2.3.340 Update.zip
    Android 2.3.3 System Version 4.5.605 sbf file

Are all these necessary? Streamline and organize instructions/links as much as possible: what are the prepatory steps I must take to safeguard in case of a brick? What else must I do before I boot from Clockwork Recovery and attempt to install Vortex?
    Last edited by Madmick; 03-02-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    ToeJamm57 likes this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 64.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Your right man I agree some times there pretty confusing I've been rooting my dx since the day I got it like a yr ago and some times I still get lost. But if you have questions search if you can't find the answer just make a post and some one will come to your aid.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    384 times
    First off, it can be very confusing when first starting out, I agree, We've all been in your shoes before. THere is a TON of info on this forum, in which you already know...before Gingerbread, DX bootstrap was the one to have, but to find out whats GB was released that the droid 2 bootstrap worked better with GB..you cans till use the droid x bootstrap but must have usb debugging un-checked..as for rom manager, I never use it to flash a rom, always D2 bootstrap unless on a 2nd init rom, then use the built in recovery options. TItanium backs up your apps, not your system thats the big difference. Droid 2 bootstrap recovery will backup your enitre system just like one done ona computer, so if anything happens you may be able to restore that instead of SBF"ing. Titanium comes in handy when you flash quite a few roms, it backs up your apps, (b/c you have to wipe data when flashing a rom) youll simply grab titanium and the pro key from teh market and can restore your apps with data...so i see that you knew hat titanium was for. lol..apologies for maybe not answereing your questions, just got back from a 6hr dentist trip with the kid...but ill explain it better if you need

Developer
    Developer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    I'll also add that you need to read the OP (Opening/Original Post) for each rom before you flash it.

An example for you: I picked up the DX with Miui when DXC left and you could flash my roms with just a cache and dalvik wipe from his last. That also applies to my subsequent releases. My most recent release however requires you to wipe data too, which it hadn't before (assuming you were coming from my previous version). The instructions are always posted in the OP, especially if they differ from the norm.

However, we devs aren't always clear to everyone with our instructions, so don't ever be afraid to ask if you aren't clear. It may very well be the case that we assumed something, or had been through so many test versions that we left something out.

There are a lot of great people here to help you out, like the people above me.

Edit - One thing that is conmonly assumed that I had trouble with at the beginning was the versions. 340 = froyo, 596, 602, & 605 are all gingerbread, but aren't all the same. Most GB roms now will want you on 602 or 605, not 596.

-----------
    The fastest way to learn is to break something. The learning comes with fixing it again.
    Last edited by Wizard0f0s; 03-02-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Seamore5 likes this.

The fastest way to learn is to break something. The learning comes with fixing it again.

You can get to all of our available ROMs by heading
    over to our ChameleonOS Downloads page.
    Also make sure to flash the latest 4.2.2 gapps

--

Check out our homepage at ChameleonOS.org and our forums
    -
    Bug Tracker | Gerrit Review | GitHub

Buy me a drink! Please don't feel obligated to donate. If you donate, please send me a PM so I can match you to the donation.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 9.4%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard0f0s View Post
    I'll also add that you need to read the OP (Opening/Original Post) for each rom before you flash it.

An example for you: I picked up the DX with Miui when DXC left and you could flash my roms with just a cache and dalvik wipe from his last. That also applies to my subsequent releases. My most recent release however requires you to wipe data too, which it hadn't before (assuming you were coming from my previous version). The instructions are always posted in the OP, especially if they differ from the norm.

However, we devs aren't always clear to everyone with our instructions, so don't ever be afraid to ask if you aren't clear. It may very well be the case that we assumed something, or had been through so many test versions that we left something out.

There are a lot of great people here to help you out, like the people above me.

Edit - One thing that is conmonly assumed that I had trouble with at the beginning was the versions. 340 = froyo, 596, 602, & 605 are all gingerbread, but aren't all the same. Most GB roms now will want you on 602 or 605, not 596.

-----------

Well put Wizard ..... READ READ READ and ASK ASK ASK I always do......... right friends???? ok dont answer that lolol

Droid Does
    And always will !!!
    Live life as if it was your last day and Enjoy.
    BACK ON MIUI
    LOVIN IT

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    This isn't a bad idea, but the options are changing so frequently it would be hard to do. There are multiple ways of rooting, SBFing, and so many roms that there are several ways of going about the process.

For you, picking vortex (which is a great rom by the way) I think your path is pretty simple. You are already rooted so the hard part is done. Of all the apps you have listed the only ones you need right now are titanium backup and D2 bootstrapper. You could use rom manager, though it is not necessary right now (see what I mean about so many ways?) I'll line out the basics, if you need more specifics, just ask.

-make sure your contacts are in google that's the easiest way to keep them when flashing.
    -backup your apps in titanium backup.
    -save a copy of VortexRC1 zip file to your SD card, preferably in the root of your sd for ease of access
    -Use D2 bootstapper to reboot into clockwork mod recovery
    -Make a backup in CWM. This backs up your ENTIRE system. Everything. Should you ever go back into clockwork recovery and restore that backup it will bring you to exactly the point that you made the backup. And being where you are save this backup! It can be used if you ever need to get back to a clean slate to boot from as an alternative to SBF(though there are still times SBF is better or the only option).
    -start at step 3 in DevorteX's instructions and finish it out. You will have installed your first ROM.

Once the rom boots up for that first time you will get a little rush and think about doing it all again

One other note, if you like to keep your call logs and texts like me, TiBu won't do that. I use a program called mybackup root to back up my call log, sms, and mms. It will also do apps, but I like TiBu better for that.
    Last edited by jeems; 03-02-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeems View Post
    This isn't a bad idea, but the options are changing so frequently it would be hard to do. There are multiple ways of rooting, SBFing, and so many roms that there are several ways of going about the process.

For you, picking vortex (which is a great rom by the way) I think your path is pretty simple. You are already rooted so the hard part is done. Of all the apps you have listed the only ones you need right now are titanium backup and D2 bootstrapper. You could use rom manager, though it is not necessary right now (see what I mean about so many ways?) I'll line out the basics, if you need more specifics, just ask.

-make sure your contacts are in google that's the easiest way to keep them when flashing.
    -backup your apps in titanium backup.
    -save a copy of VortexRC1 zip file to your SD card, preferably in the root of your sd for ease of access
    -Use D2 bootstapper to reboot into clockwork mod recovery
    -Make a backup in CWM. This backs up your ENTIRE system. Everything. Should you ever go back into clockwork recovery and restore that backup it will bring you to exactly the point that you made the backup. And being where you are save this backup! It can be used if you ever need to get back to a clean slate to boot from as an alternative to SBF(though there are still times SBF is better or the only option).
    -start at step 3 in DevorteX's instructions and finish it out. You will have installed your first ROM.

Once the rom boots up for that first time you will get a little rush and think about doing it all again

One other note, if you like to keep your call logs and texts like me, TiBu won't do that. I use a program called mybackup root to back up my call log, sms, and mms. It will also do apps, but I like TiBu better for that.
    Nice. Okay, so it sounds like it isn't completely necessary to do an SBF backup, but it sounds like the ultimate in terms of safeguarding my device. Droid 2 Bootstrapper will suffice for a total system backup (like a disk image/clone backup on a computer), and is probably sufficient, but SBFing solves some bricks that even a Bootstrapper won't. Is that accurate? What exactly is the difference? My best estimate is that Bootstrapping creates the backup on my phone while SBF appears to demand backing up to a computer. Thus, should some uber-brick prevent me from even using my phone to access my Bootstrap backup, I can use the SBF backup in my computer to wipe everything but the factory firmware and start over from scratch. Is this also correct?

Also, CWM stands for "Clockwork Mod", right? I couldn't find this individual app on the market. When I searched for it, ROM Manager came up. I assumed ROM Manager had somehow simplified using this tool and incorporated it into a more user-friendly interface (an App called Clockwork Mod Launcher said "for Stock 2.1 users only!" so I didn't think that was right). I used ROM Manager to "Flash ClockWork Mod Recovery". By doing this, am I achieving the exact same thing as when you tell me to use D2 Bootstrap to "reboot into ClockWork Mod Recovery" and then "make a backup in CWM"? I'm gonna do it the latter way like you've told me but I'm just curious why people use ROM manager and if these things achieve the same goal. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the whole process.

I am a safety freak, so I will try to SBF using 1KDS's method despite the difficulties of being on a Mac (I do have a PC, I just haven't set it up yet). How do you guys who are also on system version 605 and kernel version 2.6.32.9 SBF these days? What is the latest preferred, simplest method?

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    SBF does not "make" a backup, it restores the X to out-of-box condition, so you, in effect, lose everything (except sdcard)
    CWM is clockwork mod, but it's not an app, it's the name of the recovery that hijacks the boot process and allows the install of non-motorola software (custom ROMs)

D2 (and dx) Bootstrapper are the apps that put your phone into CWM recovery, ROM manager is another app that has incorporated it, but you need to have bootstrapper installed

You are correct, A nandroid made with CWM recovery is a full backup of your phone, a complete image at the second it was taken, all apps, data, emails, scores etc are frozen in a nandroid backup you can restore later

As for a centralized sticky, that has been done many times over the last almost 2 years, as you've noticed, we have quite a few stickies, all with info important to some members. The info needs to stay available, but we've got plenty of members who are quite willing to help answer any questions and point you in the right direction

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDude View Post
    SBF does not "make" a backup, it restores the X to out-of-box condition, so you, in effect, lose everything (except sdcard)
    CWM is clockwork mod, but it's not an app, it's the name of the recovery that hijacks the boot process and allows the install of non-motorola software (custom ROMs)

D2 (and dx) Bootstrapper are the apps that put your phone into CWM recovery, ROM manager is another app that has incorporated it, but you need to have bootstrapper installed

You are correct, A nandroid made with CWM recovery is a full backup of your phone, a complete image at the second it was taken, all apps, data, emails, scores etc are frozen in a nandroid backup you can restore later

As for a centralized sticky, that has been done many times over the last almost 2 years, as you've noticed, we have quite a few stickies, all with info important to some members. The info needs to stay available, but we've got plenty of members who are quite willing to help answer any questions and point you in the right direction
    Ah, nice, this explains a lot. Two questions:
    (1) Is SBFing something that needs to be done in advance, then, or is it something that's only necessary in the case I experience a disastrous brick where even a Bootstrap backup can't be recovered? If it's the latter, sweet, I can skip that step for now and hopefully never need to do it; I'd just cross that bridge should I come to it.
    (2) What exactly did I achieve in ROM Manager when I used the "Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery" button?
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDroid View Post
    ...as for rom manager, I never use it to flash a rom, always D2 bootstrap unless on a 2nd init rom, then use the built in recovery options.
    What do you mean by "built in recovery options"? Built into the 2nd-Init ROM? Is that step the kind I would find in the OP of a 2nd Init ROM thread where the Dev like Wizard outlines his installation instructions? Is that something I can do for a first install of a 2nd Init ROM, or do you do that because you already have one up and running?

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
    Ah, nice, this explains a lot. Two questions:
    (1) Is SBFing something that needs to be done in advance, then, or is it something that's only necessary in the case I experience a disastrous brick where even a Bootstrap backup can't be recovered? If it's the latter, sweet, I can skip that step for now and hopefully never need to do it; I'd just cross that bridge should I come to it.
    (2) What exactly did I achieve in ROM Manager when I used the "Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery" button?

What do you mean by "built in recovery options"? Built into the 2nd-Init ROM? Is that step the kind I would find in the OP of a 2nd Init ROM thread where the Dev like Wizard outlines his installation instructions? Is that something I can do for a first install of a 2nd Init ROM, or do you do that because you already have one up and running?
    1.) It does not need to be done in advance. Some people like to do it to start with a clean slate or just for the practice. For some ROMs, like MIUI, the Dev might specify to do an SBF. In this case it is best to trust them. Vortex does not require this.

2.) You flashed the latest version of clockwork mod (should be 5.0.2.0). Try not to get too caught up in this at this point, but here's some extra info for when you go a little deeper down the rabbit hole. You will know you are in the latest version of CWM if the text is blue. When using the D2 bootstrapper to reboot into clockwork mod recovery the text will show up green (even if you've flashed newer through ROM manager). This is version 2.something. You can use this to backup and it will work just fine. The only hitch is the older version of CWM with the green text will not restore versions made in the newer version (blue text). The newer version will restore backups made in both the old and new version.

The "built in recovery options" are options that the devs have built into the ROM, most often (always?) accessed by using the power button on top of your phone. It is not 2nd-init specific. Vortex has this ability. There are several options and which ones depend on the ROM, but usually there is a "reboot recovery" or "recovery" option in the menu that pops up when the power button is pressed. Selecting these will take you to CWM.

Hope that helps.
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads