Best ROM for Optimal Battery Life?

This is a discussion on Best ROM for Optimal Battery Life? within the Gingerbread Roms forums, part of the Gingerbread Development and Hacking category; Newb rooter here. I have three chief desires from my ROM: stability, battery life, and speed (in that order). From what I've been able to ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best ROM for Optimal Battery Life?

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Best ROM for Optimal Battery Life?

Newb rooter here. I have three chief desires from my ROM: stability, battery life, and speed (in that order). From what I've been able to comprehend, there are two major types of ROM, and the first type has two major subdivisions:
    [1] AOSP= Android Open Source Project ROMs
    {a} Pure AOSP ROMs aka "2nd Init" ROMs (ex. CM7, MIUI)
    {b} "Blurless" AOSP ROMs on Blur Framework (ex. Apex)
    [2] Blur ROMs (ex. Vortex RC1, Liberty)

I comprehended this from the following post from this very forum; it's the most specific information I could find on ROM types anywhere on the web:
    Quote Originally Posted by nodixe View Post
    This is my understanding of android on DX. If Im wrong about anything (it does happen) please correct me k.
    AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project and consists of the open source portion of Google's operating system. Its basically the stock android build without any propriatory software (Gapps is so it cant be open source right?). AOSP is what is released on Nexus devices and is commonly known as vanilla android. Google then hands the build over to the manufacturers, this is where it gets tricky! Most mfrs just use the stock build as a base framework to modify and layer their own software on top of like a 'skin', each with varying degrees of hardware integration:
    Samsung=TouchWizz
    Motorola=MotoBlur
    HTC=Sense
    ...so that means every rom/os starts as aosp it just depends on how much is left untouched from mfrs. Its like adding koolaid and sugar to water-it still has water in it but its changed so much that it wont function as pure water does. This is where confusion is I think. Moto devices have locked bootloader and require some part of Blur framework to boot or function properly. In order to make a rom as aosp like as possible but still keep hardware functionallity devs like fabulous (Apex) had to recompile stock apk from source (they rebuilt stock apps from aosp to work on moto hw without blur...aosp apps on blur framework....thats how I understand it) so its blurless but not pure aosp.
    2init process pulls a carjack after bootloader puts the key in ignition and uses pure aosp since it dont need blur fw. I dont believe there are any non-aosp 2init roms (why put it back in after so much work removing it? Seems pointless init?)
    To make a long story longer my original point was to say that both 'flavors' of android on DX have distinctive pros n cons due to implementation
    Blur based-stability, hd camera, hdmi out, battery life
    2init based-no bloatware, lightweight, fast, bootmanager compattible, and superior tethering (imho)
    I don't understand why the "2nd Init" ROMs are more lightweight, bloat-free and fast without being easier on the battery, but I'm guessing it's because they all add features or tweak CPU settings. I don't care about features/graphics/whatever. My phone is purely a tool. Ergo, it looks like I want a Blur-based ROM, or simply to "debloat" the stock 605 ROM I've rooted. Manually using Titanium Backup or Root Explorer to freeze or remove these "bloat" stock apps would achieve the same "no bloatware" result as running a 2nd Init ROM, anyway, wouldn't it? I'm guessing this still wouldn't make it as "lightweight/fast" as a 2nd-init ROM since there'd still be the Blur-ware running on top of Google's barebones AOSP.

So which of the following would be the most viable option for someone with my goals?
    1) Get the Blur-based ROM with best reputation for stability/battery (probably Vortex?). Optimize speed: "Titanium Backup Pro" or "Root Explorer" app to freeze/remove bloatware and "Set CPU" to overclock.
    2) Get the 2nd Init ROM with best reputation for stability/speed (probably CM7?). Optimize battery: Use "Juice Defender Ultimate".
    3) Debloat Stock 605 ROM. Optimize speed and battery life using the same methods.

What would you guys recommend?
    Last edited by Madmick; 02-29-2012 at 02:21 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, and I'm trying to develop an exhaustive list of Droid X ROMs (I'm an anal retentive librarian with stuff like this). Help me to categorize them. I'm sure I have some categorized as "Blur" ROMs that- like Apex- are actually AOSP ROMs on a Blur framework:

Blur (Motorola Stock-Based) ROMs
    DeBloated Stock 605
    Vortex RC1
    Liberty
    Rubix
    Shuji
    Sensei Mod
    ICX

AOSP= Android Open Source Project ROMs

Pure AOSP ROMs (2nd Init/Vanilla)
    Cyanogen
    MIUI
    Liquid
    SSX
    Encounter ICS
    OMFGB

AOSP on Blur Framework ROMs
    Apex
    Last edited by Madmick; 02-28-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Okay go VorteX or ApeX.
    You think stocks battery life is good. Flash those and you'll be very happy.

FreeMyMoto!!!
    FreeMyMoto!!!
    If you need help PM me!!!
    Hey, Read these.--------------> "GUIDELINES OFCONDUCT"

X Pursuant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I'm using Vortex and overclocked/undervolted at 1.2 and each night it only uses 2% battery.

Technician X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dennyjones View Post
    I'm using Vortex and overclocked/undervolted at 1.2 and each night it only uses 2% battery.
    When i was on Vortex i was losing 4% over night, dang you dennyjones lol...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Oh please!!! Haha
    In on liquid. I loose 35%...

FreeMyMoto!!!
    FreeMyMoto!!!
    If you need help PM me!!!
    Hey, Read these.--------------> "GUIDELINES OFCONDUCT"

X Operative
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 5.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registeredCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Apex for sure IMO. I was getting 2 days battery life I under volted at 1.15ghz. Performance was good as well. I switched to cm9 now but am considering going back.

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

X Pursuant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I used Apex when we were on Froyo and it was very good.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 21.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Apex gave me amazing battery life. That and it was the fastest, most stable Blur based ROM out there.

MIUI has the best battery life of a 2nd init ROM though

Galnet MIUI

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I am miui for life, but apex is fast as hell and the battery life is as good as you are going to get on your phone. Plus its a basic ROM without all the extra junk we all hate and end up just freezing anyways. I vote apex. but darkslide X is a close second for sure.

-=(.stryker.originals.miui.)=-
    Typed from my laptop.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads