Best AOSP GB ROM

This is a discussion on Best AOSP GB ROM within the Gingerbread Roms forums, part of the Gingerbread Development and Hacking category; In your opinion what's the best AOSP GB ROM for the Droid X? I'm currently on Apex2.0 rc4 and I like it except the lack ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best AOSP GB ROM

Best AOSP GB ROM

In your opinion what's the best AOSP GB ROM for the Droid X? I'm currently on Apex2.0 rc4 and I like it except the lack of a toolbox. So what do you think is the best?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Um cm7 gingerbread kernel by Revnumbers is a great option . Its 100% AOSP

FreeMyMoto!!!
    FreeMyMoto!!!
    If you need help PM me!!!
    Hey, Read these.--------------> "GUIDELINES OFCONDUCT"

I tried CM7 but the battery life was poor. But it's a great ROM

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Um what do you like about AOSP because there's liberty which is a great rom
    But most roms have some AOSP in them, just some more than others.
    My next suggestion for you is liberty, great rom for sure.

FreeMyMoto!!!
    FreeMyMoto!!!
    If you need help PM me!!!
    Hey, Read these.--------------> "GUIDELINES OFCONDUCT"

X Lurker
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This is my understanding so correct me if Im wrong..k. Droid X roms come in 2 flavors:blur and aosp. Blur roms include Liberty, Apex, Vortex, Shuji, ICX etc etc. Aosp roms include: CyanogenMod, SSX, MIUI, and Liquid. Even though they include features of, and might be aosp-like both Liberty and Apex are blur based therefore not aosp.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree with the comments. I like both Liberty 3.0 and Vortex RC1. I like a ROM with a little blur. One thing about the Liberty ROMs is that you can add/delete blur as you like. For example I like my ROM with the stock dialer and camera but the rest of the blur I can do without. That's my 2 cents.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 14.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    This post is not so much to provide and answer, but more to ask confirmation, but it's relative to what's already been mentioned.

I think there's a lack of understanding among many beginners about exactly what AOSP and Blur really are, and 2nd-init roms. I'm still a beginner, and don't understand it all, and know just enough to be dangerous.

Here's my current understanding, and anybody who knows better, please correct me.

AOSP is the Open Source from Google, and is very basic and generic. Blur comes from Motorola and is specific to their phones, includes functionality for things like HDMI and their particular camera, etc., plus all of their bloatware which bogs things down and makes them buggy. So one one hand you have crisp and clean with no caffeine, and on the other hand you have a thick slurry of good and bad. And anything that has Blur can't be AOSP, and anything that's AOSP can't have any Blur, so they're mutually exclusive.

It's my further understanding that because of the way things are locked down, the only way to run a rom based on AOSP is to do the 2nd-init thing. So everything AOSP is 2nd-init, and all 2nd-init roms are AOSP, and none of them can have any Blur. And on the other side, all roms that have any blur are neither AOSP nor 2nd-init, and all NON aosp/2nd-init roms are necessarily Blur based.

Again, if an expert can please correct me or let me know if I'm finally catching on, I'd appreciate it.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This is my understanding of android on DX. If Im wrong about anything (it does happen) please correct me k.
    AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project and consists of the open source portion of Google's operating system. Its basically the stock android build without any propriatory software (Gapps is so it cant be open source right?). AOSP is what is released on Nexus devices and is commonly known as vanilla android. Google then hands the build over to the manufacturers, this is where it gets tricky! Most mfrs just use the stock build as a base framework to modify and layer their own software on top of like a 'skin', each with varying degrees of hardware integration:
    Samsung=TouchWizz
    Motorola=MotoBlur
    HTC=Sense
    ...so that means every rom/os starts as aosp it just depends on how much is left untouched from mfrs. Its like adding koolaid and sugar to water-it still has water in it but its changed so much that it wont function as pure water does. This is where confusion is I think. Moto devices have locked bootloader and require some part of Blur framework to boot or function properly. In order to make a rom as aosp like as possible but still keep hardware functionallity devs like fabulous (Apex) had to recompile stock apk from source (they rebuilt stock apps from aosp to work on moto hw without blur...aosp apps on blur framework....thats how I understand it) so its blurless but not pure aosp.
    2init process pulls a carjack after bootloader puts the key in ignition and uses pure aosp since it dont need blur fw. I dont believe there are any non-aosp 2init roms (why put it back in after so much work removing it? Seems pointless init?)
    To make a long story longer my original point was to say that both 'flavors' of android on DX have distinctive pros n cons due to implementation
    Blur based-stability, hd camera, hdmi out, battery life
    2init based-no bloatware, lightweight, fast, bootmanager compattible, and superior tethering (imho)

3club likes this.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 21.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I'd say that's a pretty good explanation. Although 2nd init ROMs are just a solid as Blur ROMs IMO. Other than the HDMI

Galnet MIUI

Agent X
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    I'm almost of the opinion the best aosp with FULL functionality on the DX is a fresh blur SBF with bloat frozen and some tweaks for performance such as undervolting/overclocking with quickclock.

I do notice the hi-rez graphics on MIUI just spanks the stock GB rom though when I had two DX's side by side. Everything about my MIUI'd DX was sharper.. Otherwise I'd consider, again, trying to go stock. This might have more to do with the home launcher though.

Plus I've gotten MIUI so dialed in it's hard to be satisfied going back. Sad to see DX development come to such a halt though. It was the bad daddy this time last year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I need two DX's.. One to try rom's on and one for MIUI because it's THE daily driver for me so I'm not messin' with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads