Difference in ROMs

This is a discussion on Difference in ROMs within the Gingerbread Roms forums, part of the Gingerbread Development and Hacking category; I am currently running CM7 on the gingerbread kernel. I have been surfing the internet, but I can't seem to find much information out there. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference in ROMs

X Informant
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 0.8%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Difference in ROMs

I am currently running CM7 on the gingerbread kernel. I have been surfing the internet, but I can't seem to find much information out there. Can someone help me out here? I'm curious about trying new ROMs. I would like to continue to run off the Gingerbread kernel, so I know that limits a few of my potential ROM's.

Near as I can tell, I have the following options:
    CM7
    MIUI
    Liquid Ginger version
    Shuji
    Liberty

Any I'm missing? So here's what I'm hoping. I'd like a bit more then just what ROM you are using. Could I maybe get a run down of some of the features, battery life experience, over clocking, undervolting etc, etc?

I really want full featured, and as much battery life as possible. Quite possibly my favorite part of CM7 is the power controls in the Notification bar, so I'd really like to keep that. Beyond that, I'm open to any cool features. I'm also not the most tech savvy when it comes to behind the scenes, having to do coding in the terminal emulator in order to make things work the proper way, so I'd like to avoid that.

Hoping I can get some information.

Thanks everyone.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by icedice34 View Post
    I am currently running CM7 on the gingerbread kernel. I have been surfing the internet, but I can't seem to find much information out there. Can someone help me out here? I'm curious about trying new ROMs. I would like to continue to run off the Gingerbread kernel, so I know that limits a few of my potential ROM's.

CM7
    MIUI
    Liquid Ginger version
    Shuji
    Liberty

Any I'm missing? So here's what I'm hoping. I'd like a bit more then just what ROM you are using. Could I maybe get a run down of some of the features, battery life experience, over clocking, undervolting etc, etc?

I really want full featured, and as much battery life as possible. Quite possibly my favorite part of CM7 is the power controls in the Notification bar, so I'd really like to keep that. Beyond that, I'm open to any cool features. I'm also not the most tech savvy when it comes to behind the scenes, having to do coding in the terminal emulator in order to make things work the proper way, so I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks everyone.
    Running miui, and it is very nice, very very customizable, it does have the iOS, feel though, (no app drawer) but you can create folders, has a drop down toggle screen that can be changed. I personally haven't had a bad battery life, some have had worse, quite a few sweet mods for them (statusbar switched, center, right) not hotseat mod..The support from DXC is pretty amazing also, very quick to squash any bugs that may be found in it. All in all its a very well rounded rom, and worth a shot IMO.

X Operative
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDroid View Post
    Running miui, and it is very nice, very very customizable, it does have the iOS, feel though, (no app drawer) but you can create folders, has a drop down toggle screen that can be changed. I personally haven't had a bad battery life, some have had worse, quite a few sweet mods for them (statusbar switched, center, right) not hotseat mod..The support from DXC is pretty amazing also, very quick to squash any bugs that may be found in it. All in all its a very well rounded rom, and worth a shot IMO.
    +1

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Droid X Rooted W/ 928Droid BGX

X Operative
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Droid X Rooted W/ 928Droid BGX

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 712
    Overall activity: 62.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by icedice34 View Post

CM7
    MIUI
    Liquid Ginger version
    Shuji
    Liberty

Thanks everyone.
    differnces...
    cm7... pure aosp experience.. 2nd init base... extremely custiomizable... aosp interface... poor battery life
    miui... pure aosp experience.. 2nd init base... extremely custiomizable... ios like in the interface... poor battery life
    liquid... pure aosp experience... 2nd init base... still in early stages on the ginger kernel though... aosp interface... not as customizable as cm7 or miui... poor battery life
    shuji... good blur experience... 602 based... pretty smooth for blur base... not as customizable as the 2nd init base... good battery life...
    liberty... good blur experience... 596 based... pretty smooth for blur base.. not as customizable as 2nd init base... good battery life...

this is for the ginger kernel on these roms.. i've ran all these roms... and because of the features... and the experience... my fav is cm7

best way to find out which you like the best... test and try them out...
    Post Script:
    We have nothing to fear but runnig out of beer/*****|*****\
    Nemo Aeternamn Wallpapers

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    727 times
    There's always the Blur-based ROMs like DarkSlide X. It's Motoblur-based but debloated and has good battery life.
    "I stopped reading dystopic novels a long time ago. If I want bleakness and despair, I can look at my checkbook." - Solomon Short

"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing / Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master / Master
    " - Metallica

DX Forums "Guidelines of Conduct"

X Informant
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo aeternamn View Post
    differnces...
    cm7... pure aosp experience.. 2nd init base... extremely custiomizable... aosp interface... poor battery life
    miui... pure aosp experience.. 2nd init base... extremely custiomizable... ios like in the interface... poor battery life
    liquid... pure aosp experience... 2nd init base... still in early stages on the ginger kernel though... aosp interface... not as customizable as cm7 or miui... poor battery life
    shuji... good blur experience... 602 based... pretty smooth for blur base... not as customizable as the 2nd init base... good battery life...
    liberty... good blur experience... 596 based... pretty smooth for blur base.. not as customizable as 2nd init base... good battery life...

this is for the ginger kernel on these roms.. i've ran all these roms... and because of the features... and the experience... my fav is cm7

best way to find out which you like the best... test and try them out...
    Sorry, aosp experience? Not familiar with that. Also, what's 2nd init? Also, if I switch to liberty, do I have to sbf to. 596?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    it's all good...
    aosp... android open source project... this is the code that motorola, samsung, htc and all them build the codes for their phones... so it gives you the experience how it was originally made...
    and here's a link explaining the 2nd init process
    Still Loading ... » blog:2011-06-14:2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works
    and if your on 602... no.. you can just flash over the top of it... it will revert your system to 596.... and it will work just fine
    Post Script:

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo aeternamn View Post
    it's all good...
    aosp... android open source project... this is the code that motorola, samsung, htc and all them build the codes for their phones... so it gives you the experience how it was originally made...
    and here's a link explaining the 2nd init process
    Still Loading ... blog:2011-06-14:2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works
    and if your on 602... no.. you can just flash over the top of it... it will revert your system to 596.... and it will work just fine
    Sweet thanks, and good to see you aren't sick of me yet. I'm pretty sure you've answered about 3/4ths of my questions!

Hopefully I will be done for a while. I kind of want to try MIUI, mostly because it appears to be so drastically different from most of the others. However, when i go to the MIUI official site (MIUI Official Site) it doesn't list the DX as a phone that is available. Is it just so broad that it will work on most phones? Otherwise, where is the best source to download a safe/up-to-date version?

Lastly, while running CM7, can I simply flash any of those ROMs using rom manager? I don't need to SBF for any of them? Just flash over the top of CM7? The ones I'm fairly certain I will try in the next few days are MIUI, Liquid, and liberty. I have already tried Shuji and it was just there, didn't seem very much different.

Thanks!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    i can't have that... what's the quarter i missed???

here's the miui website with the dx download...

and yes... you can flash them right on top... about a week ago... i went from cm7 to apex to shuji... then back to cm7... with no sbf... so you are good to get in all your flashing needs
    Post Script:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads