My ROM Rundown

This is a discussion on My ROM Rundown within the Gingerbread Roms forums, part of the Gingerbread Development and Hacking category; Updated 8/23/2011 with Liquid, 13p radio on Liberty GB and brief update on MIUI. After spending quite a bit of time with the various ROMs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My ROM Rundown

X Lurker
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

My ROM Rundown

Updated 8/23/2011 with Liquid, 13p radio on Liberty GB and brief update on MIUI.

After spending quite a bit of time with the various ROMs I feel like I can give decent information about each. I consider myself an average user without the skill to create (or barely run) custom scripts. I ran them all under similar conditions without overclocking or changing voltage. I ran Quadrant on each but am not posting the numbers because I found they did not always correlate to the "speed feel." The ratings below are my subjective observations as they compare to each other.

Liberty Gingerbread- Everything just works! The only ROM in the group with HDMI and all 2.3.3 functionality right out of the box. More themes have been coming out and it is getting easier to customize. Once I installed the Watermarked theme it even became fun looking. Much better without the yellow! Updated 8/23/2011- I was able to install the GB update with 13p radio and then re-flash Liberty. The radio stuck and now the battery life is even better since the reception drag is reduced.

• Smoothness Rating 7
    • Speed Rating 8
    • Ease of Customization 7
    • Stability 10
    • Functionality 10
    • Battery 10 @ 33hrs avg.

AOSP Gingerbread- Liberty without Blur and therefore no HDMI. Good ROM and somewhat cleaner if you don't need HDMI. Not as many themes available yet. I didn't see the point of being on this rom and not having some of the other functions offered in Liberty Gingerbread.

• Smoothness Rating 8
    • Speed Rating 8
    • Ease of Customization 5
    • Stability 9
    • Functionality 7
    • Battery 9 @ 30hrs avg.

APEX 2.0- Very good, stable ROM. Very similar to AOSP Gingerbread. In fact I have a hard time finding the differences. Probably a little less stable than AOSP Gingerbread but many more themes available. Again lacks HDMI and Blur. I got bored kinda fast with this one.
    • Smoothness Rating 8
    • Speed Rating 8
    • Ease of Customization 6
    • Stability 9
    • Functionality 7
    • Battery 9 @ 30hrs avg.

CM7- Fun, fast, customizable, pretty. It isn't stable yet and still lacks a lot of functionality. Most of the functionality seems to be getting fixed but I had to fight with it, search for patches and then spend a lot of time making them work (reinstalling, wiping, re-wiping, re-re-installing, etc). It's a great ROM but I think a work in progress. In the end functionality and battery life drove me away.
    • Smoothness Rating 9
    • Speed Rating 9
    • Ease of Customization 9
    • Stability 6
    • Functionality 6
    • Battery 6 @ 19hrs avg.

SSX-
    See CM7 only a little sexier. As usual with sexy along comes insatiability. I found it had slightly more bugs (themes wouldn't stick) and slightly worse battery life than CM7. It was a lot of fun though. It's was like driving a Ferrari but I couldn't afford the gas or repairs.
    Smoothness Rating 9
    • Speed Rating 9
    • Ease of Customization 7 (would be more if all options worked)
    • Stability 6
    • Functionality 6
    • Battery 5 @ 18hrs avg.

MIUI- WOW! I really like this ROM and really want to use it. It is fun, totally different, very fast, very smooth, extremely easy to customize and pays attention to the details. Unfortunately while it got the details right it missed on the deal breakers. Battery life suffers, huge Android Market issues, many apps aren't compatible and I can't read Chinese. If you have the patience to work through some issues (many can be solved with work arounds) and don't use a lot of apps it could be a great choice. For me it was back to Liberty. Updated 8/23/2011- I tried this one again for only a day to check it's progress. Much better! No market issues and most apps worked. It still seemed to have poor battery (hard to know if its's inherent after one day) and still lots of FCs. I moved off of it quickly because I couldn't get Gmail notification sounds to turn off without FC each time I tried.

• Smoothness Rating 10
    • Speed Rating 10
    • Ease of Customization 10
    • Stability 6
    • Functionality 7 (updated)
    • Battery 4 @ 16hrs avg.

Liquid- Very well done ROM! It is smooth, has very few (almost no) bugs and has the typical feel and speed associated with the 2nd Int roms. Of those roms it gave me the fewest problems. Again, no HDMI and poor battery life. I switched to get the new 13p radio, but only used it for about three days when I figured out how to keep the 13p with Liberty Justice.

• Smoothness Rating 9
    • Speed Rating 9
    • Stability 8
    • Functionality 7
    • Battery 5 @ 18hrs avg.
    Last edited by dmacarth; 08-23-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    flatout, Newber, DjCalvin and 1 others like this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Operative
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've been on all above listed roms and IMO, CM7 nightly 48 is the fastest i've ever seen on my phone.

Downloading expresso (.596) right now to give that a look-see.

Shuji--or wotever it's called--(.596) from sturdy click syndicate is smoooooth. Pretty fast too. Think AOSP liberty with a different skin/theme and different/current apps and d3 boot anim.

OMFGB (source) is also worth a mention, as is moemod (source).

I love SSX and MUIU is fun too.

It's good being a dx owner right now...but maybe too many roms?

Agent X
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 0.8%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Long Island, NY....uhhh nope, I live in Seattle now :)
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dmacarth View Post
    After spending quite a bit of time with the various ROMs I feel like I can give decent information about each. I consider myself an average user without the skill to create (or barely run) custom scripts. I ran them all under similar conditions without overclocking or changing voltage. I ran Quadrant on each but am not posting the numbers because I found they did not always correlate to the "speed feel." The ratings below are my subjective observations as they compare to each other.

Liberty Gingerbread- Everything just works! The only ROM in the group with HDMI and all 2.3.3 functionality right out of the box. More themes have been coming out and it is getting easier to customize. Once I installed the Watermarked theme it even became fun looking. Much better without the yellow!
    • Smoothness Rating 7
    • Speed Rating 8
    • Stability 10
    • Functionality 10

AOSP Gingerbread- Liberty without Blur and therefore no HDMI. Good ROM and somewhat cleaner if you don't need HDMI. Not as many themes available yet. I didn't see the point of not being on this rom and not having some of the other functions.
    • Smoothness Rating 8
    • Speed Rating 8
    • Stability 9
    • Functionality 7
    • Battery 9 @ 30hrs avg.

APEX 2.0- Very good, stable ROM. Very similar to AOSP Justice. In fact I have a hard time finding the differences. Probably a little less stable than AOSP Justice but many more themes available. Again lacks HDMI and Blur. I got bored kinda fast with this one.
    • Smoothness Rating 8
    • Speed Rating 8
    • Stability 9
    • Functionality 7
    • Battery 9 @ 30hrs avg.

CM7- Fun, fast, customizable, pretty. It isn't stable yet and still lacks a lot of functionality. Most of the functionality seems to be getting fixed but I had to fight with it, search for patches and then spend a lot of time making them work (reinstalling, wiping, re-wiping, re-re-installing, etc). It's a great ROM but I think a work in progress. In the end functionality and battery life drove me away.
    • Smoothness Rating 9
    • Speed Rating 9
    • Stability 6
    • Functionality 6
    • Battery 6 @ 19hrs avg.

SSX-
    See CM7 only a little sexier. As usual with sexy along comes insatiability. I found it had slightly more bugs (themes wouldn't stick) and slightly worse battery life than CM7. It was a lot of fun though. It's was like driving a Ferrari but I couldn't afford the gas or repairs.
    Smoothness Rating 9
    • Speed Rating 9
    • Stability 6
    • Functionality 6
    • Battery 5 @ 18hrs avg.

MIUI- WOW! I really like this ROM and really want to use it. It is fun, totally different, very fast, very smooth, extremely easy to customize and pays attention to the details. Unfortunately while it got the details right it missed on the deal breakers. Battery life suffers, huge Android Market issues, many apps aren't compatible and I can't read Chinese. If you have the patience to work through some issues (many can be solved with work arounds) and don't use a lot of apps it could be a great choice. For me it was back to Liberty.

• Smoothness Rating 10
    • Speed Rating 10
    • Stability 6
    • Functionality 5
    • Battery 4 @ 16hrs avg.
    Thanks for taking the time, as oddly enough I wonder about all these. I have only run .596 deodex, Darkslide X and am currently on Liquid 2.4...

based on your input SSX and MIUI will get rides, and cm7 once it gets to RC at least
    GS 3izzle but still rollin with the best forum ever...

Shouts out to Wulf, XJacobX, BKDodger, Peakyboo, Mapatton82, Jersey, Rickw and Popcenator on the assist. It's good to be back!

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gi...bluebread.html

When VZW doesn't, DX Forums does...

X Operative
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'd have to agree as I like Liberty as well. Runs great and I like all the themes available.

Darkslide X ran great for me as well with no issues.

And yes its nice having all these choices for rom's!

Liberty v.9/Watermark theme/OC'd
    Last edited by tribals; 08-05-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Agent X
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 0.8%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Long Island, NY....uhhh nope, I live in Seattle now :)
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tribals View Post
    I'd have to agree as I like Liberty as well. Runs great and I like all the themes available.

Darkslide X ran great for me as well with no issues.

And yes its nice having all these choices for rom's!

Liberty v.9/Watermarked theme/OC'd
    +1, Darkslide X kicked major tail, def saved that nandroid...
    GS 3izzle but still rollin with the best forum ever...

Shouts out to Wulf, XJacobX, BKDodger, Peakyboo, Mapatton82, Jersey, Rickw and Popcenator on the assist. It's good to be back!

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gi...bluebread.html

When VZW doesn't, DX Forums does...

X Informant
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Only one thing I would have also liked to see is your ratings for stock Gingerbread. It is good to have a control to compare everything too. That way we can see just how much of an improvement all these roms are over stock.

Thanks again,

X Lurker
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yeah, good point. I can barely even remember stock Gingerbread. Maybe I'll go back there for a bit and see what it's like. It's easier to freeze the bloat than apply the patches to most of these ROMS.

Agent X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Nice write up. You didn't discuss Liquid which is my favorite of the 2nd init roms except for Miui. It has fewer options than SSX but is the most stable. There are no patches. Camera, wifi, gps work immediately. I had no issues with the theme manager. Battery though is like all the other 2nd init roms and most likely need to charge during the day if you're a heavy user. It is a lovely rom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Informant
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    MOEmod. You should try it

Sent from my ADR6300 using Droid X Forums

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dmacarth View Post

Liberty Gingerbread- Everything just works! The only ROM in the group with HDMI and all 2.3.3 functionality right out of the box. More themes have been coming out and it is getting easier to customize. Once I installed the Watermarked theme it even became fun looking. Much better without the yellow!
    • Smoothness Rating 7
    • Speed Rating 8
    • Stability 10
    • Functionality 10

AOSP Gingerbread- Liberty without Blur and therefore no HDMI. Good ROM and somewhat cleaner if you don't need HDMI. Not as many themes available yet. I didn't see the point of being on this rom and not having some of the other functions offered in Liberty Gingerbread.
    • Smoothness Rating 8
    • Speed Rating 8
    • Stability 9
    • Functionality 7
    • Battery 9 @ 30hrs avg.

APEX 2.0- Very good, stable ROM. Very similar to AOSP Gingerbread. In fact I have a hard time finding the differences. Probably a little less stable than AOSP Gingerbread but many more themes available. Again lacks HDMI and Blur. I got bored kinda fast with this one.
    • Smoothness Rating 8
    • Speed Rating 8
    • Stability 9
    • Functionality 7
    • Battery 9 @ 30hrs avg.

• Smoothness Rating 9
    • Speed Rating 9
    • Stability 6
    • Functionality 6
    • Battery 6 @ 19hrs avg.

SSX-
    Smoothness Rating 9
    • Speed Rating 9
    • Stability 6
    • Functionality 6
    • Battery 5 @ 18hrs avg.

MIUI- WOW! I really like this ROM and really want to use it. It is fun, totally different, very fast, very smooth, extremely easy to customize and pays attention to the details. Unfortunately while it got the details right it missed on the deal breakers. Battery life suffers, huge Android Market issues, many apps aren't compatible and I can't read Chinese. If you have the patience to work through some issues (many can be solved with work arounds) and don't use a lot of apps it could be a great choice. For me it was back to Liberty.
    • Smoothness Rating 10
    • Speed Rating 10
    • Stability 6
    • Functionality 5
    • Battery 4 @ 16hrs avg.
    Tried Shuji? Any ratings for that ROM?
    Still my , even after so many SBFs, ROMs, battery pulls and Clockwork recoveries...
    Rooted, Gingerbread .602, VorteX RC1, Trident Electra & 3200 mAh battery.
    USMC 2000-? Oorah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads