What is the most stable rom? ( Pros & Cons)

This is a discussion on What is the most stable rom? ( Pros & Cons) within the Gingerbread Roms forums, part of the Gingerbread Development and Hacking category; Ok, I think I'm ready to try a rom. I am currently on rooted gingerbread 2 part method. I learned how to SBF using the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the most stable rom? ( Pros & Cons)

X Operative
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What is the most stable rom? ( Pros & Cons)

Ok, I think I'm ready to try a rom. I am currently on rooted gingerbread 2 part method. I learned how to SBF using the easy linux sbf. I use my droid x heavily for work, I need to try something stable.

I would like to avoid a rom, that trades off any functionality of rooted gingerbread or how my phones functions. Hence, hearing the cons are very important . If all I'm doing is changing the curtains, the ones I have now can stay. I'm interested in a rom that is better than what I have now!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Technician X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by justifi View Post
    I would like to avoid a rom, that trades off any functionality of rooted gingerbread or how my phones functions.

Many/most roms will have stock things here and there stripped out but you usually can add them back in. What one person thinks is a loss of function another thinks is a gain. Take the universal inbox for example. AOSP roms don't have the blur inbox. If you don't know how to set up yahoo email with the correct servers using the AOSP email then you will think that's a loss of function. The blur email sets up servers for you. For me, I can argue that the AOSP email client has more function due to the exposed outbox and reduction in clogging. Others will argue the merits of the primative search that blur email has and that AOSP lacks. I will argue that the blocking of exchange permissions that kejar built into liberty email is a HUGE improvement in function but my IT guy will probably argue the opposite

What I am an advocate of then is YOU deciding what's best. For me, I found rubix 2 w/ liberty email and keyboard to be the most functional. But that's froyo and you like GB.

Technician X
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    In general if you are worried about full function and stability, the cm rom and its derivatives (eg ssx, justice, etc) are probably too "beta" for you if stability is what you crave. Some claim wild success with certain nightlies while others just have a horrible time. I think the various starting locations (eg monster vs sbf) are creating a diverse set of situations. The gb rom scene us way more complex now compared to what we had last fall with froyo roms.

Good luck extracting anything useful from my posts.

Last edited by spodoc; 07-19-2011 at 07:44 PM.

X Operative
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spodoc View Post
    Many/most roms will have stock things here and there stripped out but you usually can add them back in. What one person thinks is a loss of function another thinks is a gain. Take the universal inbox for example. AOSP roms don't have the blur inbox. If you don't know how to set up yahoo email with the correct servers using the AOSP email then you will think that's a loss of function. The blur email sets up servers for you. For me, I can argue that the AOSP email client has more function due to the exposed outbox and reduction in clogging. Others will argue the merits of the primative search that blur email has and that AOSP lacks. I will argue that the blocking of exchange permissions that kejar built into liberty email is a HUGE improvement in function but my IT guy will probably argue the opposite

What I am an advocate of then is YOU deciding what's best. For me, I found rubix 2 w/ liberty email and keyboard to be the most functional. But that's froyo and you like GB.

I have to have the exchange server for work. If a flashing a rom could jeopardize my ability to do my work, this might have to wait for a day off.

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spodoc View Post
    In general if you are worried about full function and stability, the cm rom and its derivatives (eg ssx, justice, etc) are probably too "beta" for you if stability is what you crave. Some claim wild success with certain nightlies while others just have a horrible time. I think the various starting locations (eg monster vs sbf) are creating a diverse set of situations. The gb rom scene us way more complex now compared to what we had last fall with froyo roms.

Good luck extracting anything useful from my posts.

I certainly appreciate whatever you have too say. It's certainly, more than I know. Is there a place that reviews roms? Like facts? This rom does or doesn't do this or that. Reading every thread on every rom would be daunting.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Running AOSP Liberty since it came out and its stable as can be. Fast and smooth.

Only thing you lose is the HDMI port and that is not an issue for most people...

Transmitted from my Droid X using tapatalk.... AOSP Liberty ROM.....
    If I have to explain you probably wouldn't understand anyway......
    twitter: Getsome_122

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsome122 View Post
    Running AOSP Liberty since it came out and its stable as can be. Fast and smooth.

Only thing you lose is the HDMI port and that is not an issue for most people...

Transmitted from my Droid X using tapatalk.... AOSP Liberty ROM.....
    If I have to explain you probably wouldn't understand anyway......
    twitter: Getsome_122
    Can you share some specific examples of what you like about Liberty? Fast and smooth are subjective in most cases. What exactly makes this better, than froyo or gingerbread?

X Operative
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Most stable in my opinion was stock froyo. Not the fastest or smoothest, but definitely the least issues with it. Here is my list of perceived stability from experience:

1. Stock froyo 2.2.1 (340)
    2. ApeX 1.4.1
    3. ApeX 2.0
    4. Liberty (froyo, I forget the version number - the last one)
    5. GB leak 591
    6. CM7 (some random reboots once in a while)
    7. SSX (unless you want to edit the build.prop, as that seems to cause the settings menu to require reboots after changing anything)
    8. LiquidGB (reboots and freezes a lot on my device just like what happens when I use imoseyon tweaks or V6 supercharger)
    9. Stock 596 GB (reboots all the time plus it is pretty buggy and slow)

There are others I have tried, but not used long enough to give an opinion.
    Last edited by abqnm; 07-20-2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: added froyo verson to be specific

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    If we are talking froyo then apex 1.3 was the best beginner rom. It is stable and has all the blur.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 3.2%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I've ran all roms besides liberty gb and broodcomb 2 was the best for me. It ran on 588 gingerbread. I'm on liquid now but sometimes I think about going back

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads