GB version - Should I "upgrade"?

This is a discussion on GB version - Should I "upgrade"? within the Gingerbread Roms forums, part of the Gingerbread Development and Hacking category; I have rooted/Flashed to GB from 2.2. My phone says I have "5.5.573.MB810.Verizon.en.US" I've been out of the loop for a bit sicne I got ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By popcenator
  • 1 Post By popcenator

Thread: GB version - Should I "upgrade"?

X Informant
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question GB version - Should I "upgrade"?

I have rooted/Flashed to GB from 2.2. My phone says I have "5.5.573.MB810.Verizon.en.US"

I've been out of the loop for a bit sicne I got flashed to GB and wondered if there was a thread on here that lists the changes made to get to .596? Just like to know what the differences are between what I have and the "newer" so that I can educate myself on wether I should update to .596.

I have read through some forums posts about HOW to do it just wondering if I "need" to. What are the pros and cons? My list of cons would be the time it takes to re-learn how to do it and the wiping, backing up etc, plus the worry if I am doing it right... LOL

Thanks!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

RS Team Leader
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    I think you should, given that the leak you're on is the initial GB leak, the latest will have any bug fixes and I noticed slightly more responsiveness and a smoother running system.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the advice. I have noticed a few tiny things. One or two specific apps will "disappear" from my wall/pages hmoe screen what ever its called (lol) randomly and I have to keep putting it back. I don't notice too much else, but probably will after doing a bit more reading.

So far my "notes" are to read and follow: Latest Gingerbread (.596) Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

(advice taken from other posts...)
    - Since you were on Froyo you need to install the two file install from Froyo to 596 (I was originally on Froyo when I got the Droid X so assuming that is what I need to do, but also know that I must read the whole doc)
    - if you plan on flashing roms with themes you will need the deodexed
    - make sure debugging is disabled

I have the bootstrapper thing from the first GB flash, must read to see if I need that... I am going to back up my SD card and do a NAN backup also before I start. Andy other tips? Going to see how much reading I can do tonight and if I have time I will attempt either tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

and BTW.... You guys are freakin' awesome! I appreciate that I can do this stuff with my phone and all the time it takes everyone to make it so that I can!!

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I finally took the plunge and updated my GB leak to .596, just last night. It was hard to get a grasp on it all. I read so much that sometimes all that reading can be confusing. It took much longer than I expected and it was so late when I was finally complete.

My first SBF didn't go well and I started to panic, but took a deep breath, read some more and realized I wasn't "bricked"... I just had to try it again. Wha-la. Second time it worked and I breathed a HUGE sigh of releif when it finished/rebooted and didn't bootloop at the red eye! YEAH! I documented my steps as I went along with the tidbits of information I read about as I was having issues. That way I'll have the information for the next time. I did a Nandroid backup this morning after I was happy with what I as seeing was completed adn I had finished getting my aps & Data back using MyBackUp Pro.

My next question (looking for opinions) is now that I have the updated GB... should I look into a custom ROM? I guess I've got a lot more reading to do.... the one thing I noticed right away is Swype keyboard is missing, not reinstalled adn I cannot find it in the market. . I .

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Liberty rom on .596 is excellent...

Sent from my liberated DX

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Also got my SWYPE back... found the web page for Swype.com. Installing Swype beta 3 now. Another "problem" solved.

RS Team Leader
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    You took the appropriate steps (reading a lot) to upgrade. Just know, and we can't emphasize this enough, there's really nothing you can do to your phone that we can't bring you back from. If someone happens, hop on a computer and and post a thread and someone will jump in with advice.

Liberty may include the swype keyboard, I think other ROMs like Apex may as well but I haven't been on them long enough to know for sure.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Liberty rom on .596 is excellent...

Sent from my liberated DX
    Thanks for the input. Can you please explain why it is so excellent? What/How is it different? I'm fairly novice. I can follow directions for updating adn installing roms, but don't understand deodexed, overclocking.. and not sure I need to. Not that advanced.

RS Team Leader
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Deodexing just removes .odex files from apps which allows developers to theme the stock system (general explanation). The system is odexed by default. The performance is no different between the two but it just allows you to flash custom themes over the stock layout, rather than installing a ROM and then a theme for that ROM. The vast majority, if not all ROMs willl deodex your phone. Overclocking is basically upping the output of the processor to make the phone run faster, clocked beyond what it's set at. It can be safe to do if you don't overdo it. With apps like Quickclock Advanced, there's a tool to automatically calibrate safe overclock settings for your phone.

Remove Ads

Ads