Keyboard Woes. WTF?

This is a discussion on Keyboard Woes. WTF? within the Gingerbread General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; So what were they thinking when designing the new keyboard? we all know there isn't a lot of room for it holding the phone vertically ...

Thread: Keyboard Woes. WTF?

Keyboard Woes. WTF?

So what were they thinking when designing the new keyboard? we all know there isn't a lot of room for it holding the phone vertically anyway.

1) Some of this valuable real estate is consumed by a key that offers to set up Swipe. Why? Shouldn't this be a menu item? It takes a 'return button' press to get back to the keyboard. If I don't what this 'feature' (obviously I don't) why do I have to deal with it when I accidentally press the key?

2) The 'Sym' keyboard sets up the numbers like a desktop/laptop numbers 10-key. This is designed for faster data entry, and requires 3 fingers. This just can't be done on a phone.

3) it takes 2 key strokes to enter an apostrophe? How is that remotely practical. Maybe the Swipe button should have been this character? Just how is this an 'improvement'.

4) No more double-space as period, spell correction (not that turning the text background red and unreadable was a good way to indicate it). Yes, Swipe is supposed to make auto fill possible, but the other 'advantages' of it are not welcome, nor conducive to texting in the previous style. And the Swipe key doesn't go away.

5) A key to decide if you want to use English or Spanish? another wasted key. Why isn't this on the menu? How many people are bilingual AND will want to switch back and forth in the same text?

And the worse one. The design was not setup and approved by one person. It took a committee to approve the changes.

This goes beyond the general peeve I have with os upgrades. I bought the phone because I liked the way it functioned, easy of use, etc. If it works why change it?

What's it take to get the 'old' keyboard back? Buy another phone?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Which keyboard are you referring to? Swype is a separate keyboard from the android keyboard. You can just select the stock Android keyboard using the IME switcher, which should pop up in the notification bar once the keyboard is launched.

Or try a third party keyboard, there are tons of them, but my personal favorite is SwiftKey.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    long press in any text box until a menu pops up (a couple seconds). Then choose input method > android keyboard/stock keyboard (not sure how it shows off the top of my head). Or like leach said try a 3rd party app like swiftkey.

Do you know what really pisses me off about swype? K.D. Lang is in the swype dictionary so every time I try to reply "k" it changes it to K.D. Lang. Seriously? K.D.Lang needs to be part of a stock dictionary?
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

Remove Ads

Ads