Battery Consumption: Wi-Fi vs 3G (@ home, idle)

This is a discussion on Battery Consumption: Wi-Fi vs 3G (@ home, idle) within the Gingerbread General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; So I've never felt a need to use wifi, but recently have started fiddling with tasker. I've been using wfi at home and when I ...

Thread: Battery Consumption: Wi-Fi vs 3G (@ home, idle)

X Informant
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Battery Consumption: Wi-Fi vs 3G (@ home, idle)

So I've never felt a need to use wifi, but recently have started fiddling with tasker. I've been using wfi at home and when I loose connection to my router my bluetooth turns on and wifi off. Very convenient going from house to car.

Now I've read that as long as a trusted wifi network is in range that it will use less power than 3g. This sort of makes sense to me. However I've noticed that when idle (sleeping) wifi is using a lot more power than if I just had 3g enabled.

Last night I fully drained and charged my phone and recalibrated. Did some internet browsing, texting, and made one phone call under two minutes.

Now it's been about fifteen hours, mostly idle and my phone is down to 83%. Checked battery stats. The usuals. . . Phone Idle, Cell Standby, Display. But I was shocked to find that 11% could be attributed to Wi-Fi.

Now I realize that I could just change the Wi-Fi sleep policy (currently set to never, still shuts off after a while but turns back on and reconnects after I turn screen on), but telling wifi to sleep disables the radio so that when I leave my house tasker will not switch on my bluetooth.

Does this sound normal? Any ideas?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    can't offer much help as I don't use bluetooth, but yes having the wifi sleep policy set to never turn off will increase the batt. usage so what your seeing is normal

as for the auto bluetooth reconnect, I'm unsure. if there aren't other settings involved our in play, losing the wifi connection should just let the 3g kick in and take over.

bumped if nothing else...

[Mod Edit] language

X Informant
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My thought is, why do they call it wifi sleep? It isn't really sleep because it disables the radio until you reactivate it manually.

I would love it if all wifi activity were... suspended when the screen was off, but it disables the radio and does not re-enable it when I turn the screen on.

On the other other hand, even with wifi sleep set to never the radio disables after a period of inactivity. I think this may be due to my Battery Mode setting to turn off "data" after 15 minutes. I assumed this was just 3G, but maybe that is for all data.

Regardless with Wifi Sleep set to "never" it will in fact disable the radio, yet comes on again on wake and reconnects. My thought however, is that it may use more battery to re-enable the wifi radio and reconnect to my router than it would if it just stayed connected during idle times while in range of a trusted wifi network.

I dunno.

I will however, go on the record as saying that: In my experience (data disables after 15 mins of inactivity, wifi sleep set to never) with the Droid X, Wi-Fi uses MORE power than Mobile Data in "idle" conditions, even when always in range of a trusted hotspot for the entire period that the Wi-Fi radio is enabled.

If nothing else. . . another bump. Someone should create a sub-forum specifically for posts related to getting the most out of your Droid X battery.

Remove Ads

Ads