Root for. 621

This is a discussion on Root for. 621 within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; Originally Posted by bearhntr newmanx4, Well....not sure what happened to my last reply. But I think I have really done it now. Thanks for the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Root for. 621

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bearhntr View Post
    newmanx4,

Well....not sure what happened to my last reply. But I think I have really done it now.

Thanks for the tip on the CAMERA BUTTON that worked. So now I have a big mess.

1) I booted into ClockworkMod and installed the following:
    604-to-621-Images-Update.zip and
    WIFI_Patch_621_Blur-signed.zip

- I was hoping to see when I booted back up - under the ABOUT PHONE that it was again a DROID X (and not the MILESTONE X). This was not the case. Still said it was a MILESTONE X phone at .604 and radio -15p

2) I then installed the Deodexed605-ROM-signed-621v.zip file via the ClockworkMod boot, and rebooted the phone...and success (or SO I THOUGHT). The ABOUT PHONE was now showing -15p radio and some .605 and that it was a DROID X.

I was happy, for all but about 1 minute. A message popped up which reads:

"The process android process.
    media has stopped
    unexpectedly. Please try
    again"

I click the Force Close and within a minute - the message is back - just keeps looping the message.

I tried to go back into the ClockworkMod boot - and it boots normal every time.

I went back in and applied the ClockworkMod (Droid X [2nd init]) to the phone - said it was successful....and it will not boot into the CWM at all.

Have I broke'ted my phone ?? WAH!!!!
    Deep breaths. The DX is nigh-impossible to brick, except by dragging down the road going 60 mph, and even that's pretty tough to do.

Did you do a data wipe when you flashed the ROM? If not that's probably the cause.

Re-download or open Droid 2 Bootstrap. Choose the Bootstrap Recovery option. Do the same process as last time to get the CWM flashed and installed (use ROM Manager to update after using Droid 2 Bootstrap, etc). Then try a reboot recovery option. See if that works.

If its still broken, go into stock recovery (Power off phone, then hold Home+Power on boot) and wipe data in there.

WARNING THIS WILL MAKE ALL YOUR DATA DISAPPEAR EXCEPT FOR YOUR ROOT/ROM. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP ALL USER APPS/CONTACTS/ETC PRIOR.

This should stop that Force Close issue. I'm assuming that is related to you not wiping data.

If not resolved, get back into CWM. Wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache. Install the 3 zips in this order: ROM.zip, 604 to 621.zip, then WIFI.zip. No wipes needed between them, flash all in the same session in CWM. Regardless you need to get back into CWM and flash the WIFI.zip. The ROM.zip will update the WIFI fix to ones that don't work, so the ROM.zip needs to go first, then the WIFI.zip. The 604 to 621.zip can be applied at any point with no wipes needed and only once per SBF (not between ROMs)

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 1.9%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    THANK YOU.....THANK YOU.....THANK YOU.....THANK YOU

i FOLLOWED YOUR STEPS ABOVE....AND I AM ALL WORKING!!!

I booted into the SYSTEM RECOVERY and cleared the data and the caches.....then I booted the hone, re-installed DROID 2 BOOTSTRAPPER and ROM MANGER.

Booted the phone into ROM MANAGER and installed the 4.5.621 Modded 1.0 (621_Modded_1.0_kY-Signed.zip)
    "This Is How Moto Should Have Done It" Edition

and it told me INSTALLED COMPLETE.

I rebooted the phone and OUILA!!!! I had the RAZOR boot graphic and sound. The screen was fast as hell, and all the system stuff says .621 and -15p radio with ROOT access.

I am so happy. I was able to start installing all my apps and I am amazed at how FREAKIN FAST this ROM is. I agree, this is how VZ/MOTO should have sold this phone. It is like a brand new phone.

Now I get to play for a while....before I take on the challenge of getting ICS on the phone.

Wanna find the best and most stable ICS install where everything works. Everything that I have read say that many users lose their camer and GPS when going to ICS.

I wanna say thank you immensely. You are a true asset to this forum, and with newmanx4's help....I am ONE HAPPY CAMPER.
    Curtis
    -------------------
    DROIDX now running kY 4.5.621 Modded 1.0

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Glad to hear you got it going. Always good to see another rooted user on .621

Regards to ICS, its based on the same kernel, so none of that messy SBF stuff is needed, you just download a ROM (and appropriate gapp [google apps]) package and flash them in CWM same as you have been doing. No wifi fix is needed, no images update, nothing special for .621, just the ROM and google apps. Easy peazy. And once you get it down using CWM you can do what's called nandroids (which are total backups of your system) to swap back and forth between stock and ICS, or ICS and MIUI, or really whatever ROM you are interested in as long as its based on GB. Takes about 5 minutes out of your life, no PC needed. Super easy once you get used to it.

In regards to ICS stability it will probably never be 100% stable. When I still had my DX a month and a half or so ago though they were doing alright. Camcorder is really the buggy part you mentioned, never is really 100% without using other apps and even then it can be kitschy. Normal cam tends to work as expected though, so does GPS and most other major components. Just my .02c worth. Camcorder is related to buggy HWA - ICS is based on a newer Linux kernel which is impossible for us to update to on the DX so features have to be downported which can cause issues.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    newmanx4,

What is the Black Iced X ???

Is that a Droid X running ICS?
    Black Ice is an AOKP based ICS ROM. Has a blacked out theme. As Goose said, if you venture over to ICS you'll have to be willing to give up some functionality. Mainly the camcorder (although there are some workarounds depending on the ROM) and no working Netflix. As far as GPS, I've had zero issues with it on ICS ROMs.

Sent from my Black Iced X

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Goose/newmanx4,

Thank you both for your input. I will look around and do some more reading before I make that dive. Took me 4 days to get past this last hurdle...but armed with the new knowledge from the both of you, at least I am not in the complete dark.

I noticed one little quirk with this 4.5.621 Modded 1.0 (621_Modded_1.0_kY-Signed.zip) ROM that I have installed on the phone...being that I put my phone into the HDMI dock at night, it does not go into the shaded clock/info mode that my old ROM did.

What could possibly be causing that? Any ideas? I looks like the phone stays on a rotated SLIDE-LOCK screen and at full brightness and the buttons remain lit. When I had the OTA .621, the display would rotate, dim to about 10% and it had what I call a docked screen. It also put a little icon in the icon bar at the top indicating that it was in the HDMI dock.

Also, I had been reading months ago that there is a way on a ROOTED phone ti disable the slide-lock and only use the pattern unlock (as many of the HTC phones have). Is this really possible now that I am rooted?

Much thanks.
    Curtis
    -------------------

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    *** UPDATE ***

Okay. I found a way to get the ANDROID SCREEN and OPERATE THE PHONE from my computer. Me so excited, tested and working.

Now just to get RID of the silly SLIDE LOCK screen when the screen goes off.

I have looked and looked and there is an app called 'NO LOCK' on the market - but it does not work correctly and has its own problems.

A good friend has the VZ DROID RAZR and his has a setting in the security to disable the slide-lock when the pattern lock is enabled.

Any advice?
    Curtis
    -------------------

X Lurker
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just rooted using magic MD5 CD boot method.
    So, now that is done, what is different then factory image and root?
    Do I now need to update or flash the latest OS? Use root keep and flash .621 again?
    I'm on 4.5.621MB810
    Droid X
    BP_C_1.09.15P
    Kernal
    2.6.32.9-g1282440
    Build 4.5.1_57_DX8-51
    I think I have the latest everything, root, and antenna (15P) what ever that means. I don't see anything that says it's a MILESTONE X droid. How to I tell if it is MILESTONE X or regular DX? The build say DX and Droid X.
    I don't do roms, so I assume that this is the best my DX will ever be?
    Last edited by serpa4; 08-23-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    If your service provider is Verizon and you did not SBF to .604 then it is not a milestone. Rooting doesn't actually change anything with the appearance of your phone. It allows you to have access to folders and files you previously could not touch. This is necessary for ROMing and certain apps. With Magic root method there is nothing left to do except Rom if you wish. If you are on .621 and flashed the .15 radio then you are up too date.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

X Lurker
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 1.4%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yea and just to add, if your on 621 now you have the 15 radio.

Also, In order to flash any other rom you will find have to SBF the phone back to 604, the new .15 radio (which did increase the reception quite abit) will stay no matter what rom you use

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    * Moto Droid X *
    ** Running
    MIUI.us DefX by WizardOfOs GingerBread **
    --= SD Card Speed Tweak =--

X Lurker
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 1.4%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Goose/newmanx4,

Thank you both for your input. I will look around and do some more reading before I make that dive. Took me 4 days to get past this last hurdle...but armed with the new knowledge from the both of you, at least I am not in the complete dark.

I noticed one little quirk with this 4.5.621 Modded 1.0 (621_Modded_1.0_kY-Signed.zip) ROM that I have installed on the phone...being that I put my phone into the HDMI dock at night, it does not go into the shaded clock/info mode that my old ROM did.

What could possibly be causing that? Any ideas? I looks like the phone stays on a rotated SLIDE-LOCK screen and at full brightness and the buttons remain lit. When I had the OTA .621, the display would rotate, dim to about 10% and it had what I call a docked screen. It also put a little icon in the icon bar at the top indicating that it was in the HDMI dock.

Also, I had been reading months ago that there is a way on a ROOTED phone ti disable the slide-lock and only use the pattern unlock (as many of the HTC phones have). Is this really possible now that I am rooted?

Much thanks.
    I use wizards miui and the black screen / moving clock auto dim comes on after about 5 mins when it's in the dock, is that what you're talking about?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    * Moto Droid X *
    ** Running
    MIUI.us DefX by WizardOfOs GingerBread **
    --= SD Card Speed Tweak =--

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads