Root for. 621

This is a discussion on Root for. 621 within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; OK. Back to .604 Milestone X / after 5 times running through the Linux CD. Also ROOTED. Now the biggie. I have tried to use ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Root for. 621

X Lurker
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 1.9%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK. Back to .604 Milestone X / after 5 times running through the Linux CD. Also ROOTED.

Now the biggie. I have tried to use the 604-to-621-Images-Update.zip & WIFI_Patch_621_Blur-signed.zip files. Copied them to the root of the SD card. Booted into CWM (I guess I am in CWM getting the Traingle (!) screen - then the four options). I flash/clear the caches and user data. Then re-boot, and then try the update via SD card.

I point to the 604-to-621-Images-Update.zip file and execute it. It acts like it is going to go....then errors out - something about a signature. The same for the WIFI file.

How does one use these two now?

What about using the Deodexed605-ROM-signed-621v.zip OR the Stock-Rooted-Deodexed .605 files - also put those on the SD Card. Getting errors about signatue.

I think I am getting closer. But not playing horeshoes or handgranades....close does not count. LOL

Curtis
    -------------------
    DROIDX now running kY 4.5.621 Modded 1.0
    "This Is How Moto Should Have Done It" Edition

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bearhntr View Post
    OK. Back to .604 Milestone X / after 5 times running through the Linux CD. Also ROOTED.

Now the biggie. I have tried to use the 604-to-621-Images-Update.zip & WIFI_Patch_621_Blur-signed.zip files. Copied them to the root of the SD card. Booted into CWM (I guess I am in CWM getting the Traingle (!) screen - then the four options). I flash/clear the caches and user data. Then re-boot, and then try the update via SD card.

I point to the 604-to-621-Images-Update.zip file and execute it. It acts like it is going to go....then errors out - something about a signature. The same for the WIFI file.

How does one use these two now?

What about using the Deodexed605-ROM-signed-621v.zip OR the Stock-Rooted-Deodexed .605 files - also put those on the SD Card. Getting errors about signatue.

I think I am getting closer. But not playing horeshoes or handgranades....close does not count. LOL

The triangle with an exclamation mark is stock recovery it won't work. How did you install CWM?

Sent from my pink unicorn flying through space... with jellybeans

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Install CWM ???

I thought that was what the Press and Hold HOME and power on - then VOL + & - was. Am I not correct?

I am also not seeing these:

Wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced)
    Format system (under Mounts and Storage)

I do not see those option anywhere. Do I need to install something else?

I see no way to turn OFF this Signature Verification (or ON) what ever status it is supposed to be set to.

As I said - I know I am getting close. and GEEZ, I thought changing the ROM on my old OMNIA (Windows phone) was hard. lol

What about puting ICS on the Droid X??? I found this link - is this at all possible? [ROM] LiquidICS v1.5 [Unofficial port] - DroidX

Many Thanks.
    Curtis
    -------------------

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Install CWM ???

I thought that was what the Press and Hold HOME and power on - then VOL + & - was. Am I not correct?

I am also not seeing these:

Wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced)
    Format system (under Mounts and Storage)

I do not see those option anywhere. Do I need to install something else?

I see no way to turn OFF this Signature Verification (or ON) what ever status it is supposed to be set to.

As I said - I know I am getting close. and GEEZ, I thought changing the ROM on my old OMNIA (Windows phone) was hard. lol

What about puting ICS on the Droid X??? I found this link - is this at all possible? [ROM] LiquidICS v1.5 [Unofficial port] - DroidX

Many Thanks.
    ROM changing on the DX is significantly harder than most any other Android phone (but like lots of other Motos) due to... being a Moto. And encrypted bootloader.

You need the bootstrapper. It basically wraps the stock recovery. What you are getting into is stock recovery. Its good for wiping data and that's about it. All files flashed through there need to be signed by Moto and Moto alone (no-one has the private keys for that except them).

Go to the Market/Play Store. Search for Droid 2 Bootstrap. Its a few $$, its necessary, so just buy it. There's no free alternatives. Also get ROM Manager while you are there (there IS a free version, that works fine, so get the free one if you want.) Now open Droid 2 Bootstrap, choose the option to Bootstrap Recovery. Grant it Superuser, and wait for the success message. Once that pops, go to ROM Manager, choose to Update Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) when it pops up with the options, choose either Droid 2 or Droid X (2nd Init) options, grant it Superuser; and wait for the Success message for that (Droid 2 works great on stock and stock based ROMs only, Droid X (2nd-init) works on all ROMs, so for ease of memory you may just use the 2nd-init option going forward). NOW choose the option right there from ROM Manager to boot into recovery. You should see a different recovery, with a black hat in the background with an arrow - THIS is Clockwork, you can flash and wipe away

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Goose,

OK. I will give that a whirl. Before I buy the DROID 2 bootstrapper...I see there is one out there for the DROID X. Shoud I use that one instead?

Once I purchase one of these (seeing that I have never bought anything from google play before), do I ever have to buy it again if I re-load or re-image my phone?

Meaning does GooglePlay keep a record of my purchases?
    Curtis
    -------------------

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Goose,

OK. I will give that a whirl. Before I buy the DROID 2 bootstrapper...I see there is one out there for the DROID X. Shoud I use that one instead?

Once I purchase one of these (seeing that I have never bought anything from google play before), do I ever have to buy it again if I re-load or re-image my phone?

Meaning does GooglePlay keep a record of my purchases?
    Yes Google at keeps purchases. Once bought once, it should never need to be bought again. This is across multiple devices as well (eg apps I bought on my DX I use on my GSIII, same with my Nexus 7) just make sure you are using the same Google ID.

As far as the version, get the Droid 2. Droid X version is outdated, hasn't worked properly since Froyo. Droid 2 is basically a Droid X with a slide out keyboard and smaller screen, lots of things are cross compatible, including bootstrapper.

Sent from my jellybeaned AOKP GSIII

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post
    Now open Droid 2 Bootstrap, choose the option to Bootstrap Recovery. Grant it Superuser, and wait for the success message. Once that pops, go to ROM Manager, choose to Update Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) when it pops up with the options, choose either Droid 2 or Droid X (2nd Init) options, grant it Superuser; and wait for the Success message for that (Droid 2 works great on stock and stock based ROMs only, Droid X (2nd-init) works on all ROMs, so for ease of memory you may just use the 2nd-init option going forward). NOW choose the option right there from ROM Manager to boot into recovery.
    OK....getting closer I can feel the vibrations!!! I got the Droid 2 Bootstrapper installed...gave it root access.

Then I installed the ROM Manager (clockworkmod - the Tophat with the gear icon). I then rebooted the phone and went into ROM MANAGER and chose the first menu option FLASH CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY. I get the confirmation when I choose Droid X (2nd Init) - I get a successful message.

I then choose REBOOT INTO RECOVERY and it does reboot into the recovery mode with the Hat and Orange arrow. I choose install .zip form SD CARD....the screen goes blank (all but the hat) and I have left it sittling there 5-10 minutes) and nothing. I have to pull the battery out to get out of it.

Did I break something?

ROM MANAGER is 5.0.1.1 / Current Recovery: ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0 - Latest Recovery: 5.0.2.0

--------------------[also]
    Is there an app or a way to do screen captures or navigate the phone from my PC? I used to have a Windows phone and there was a tool from SAMSUNG for my Omnia that would allow me to view and control my phone from my PC (even type on the screen).
    Curtis
    -------------------

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Once you're in Clockwork use the Camera button to select. The Power button puts the screen to sleep.

Sent from my Black Iced X

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    newmanx4,

Well....not sure what happened to my last reply. But I think I have really done it now.

Thanks for the tip on the CAMERA BUTTON that worked. So now I have a big mess.

1) I booted into ClockworkMod and installed the following:
    604-to-621-Images-Update.zip and
    WIFI_Patch_621_Blur-signed.zip

- I was hoping to see when I booted back up - under the ABOUT PHONE that it was again a DROID X (and not the MILESTONE X). This was not the case. Still said it was a MILESTONE X phone at .604 and radio -15p

2) I then installed the Deodexed605-ROM-signed-621v.zip file via the ClockworkMod boot, and rebooted the phone...and success (or SO I THOUGHT). The ABOUT PHONE was now showing -15p radio and some .605 and that it was a DROID X.

I was happy, for all but about 1 minute. A message popped up which reads:

"The process android process.
    media has stopped
    unexpectedly. Please try
    again"

I click the Force Close and within a minute - the message is back - just keeps looping the message.

I tried to go back into the ClockworkMod boot - and it boots normal every time.

I went back in and applied the ClockworkMod (Droid X [2nd init]) to the phone - said it was successful....and it will not boot into the CWM at all.

Have I broke'ted my phone ?? WAH!!!!
    Curtis
    -------------------

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked