Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

This is a discussion on Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; Okay, you have heard and answered it a thousand times. I am sorry but the acronyms you use are over my head. I need a ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up [SOLVED] Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

Okay, you have heard and answered it a thousand times. I am sorry but the acronyms you use are over my head. I need a kind soul to explain and define a few things. You go into my hall of fame and become a hero upon succsess, all of you.

Had Gingerbread on a Droid X MB810 3.3.3. Could not root it with Windows. Got it rooted with dxroot 7.3 Linux shell script. God that was so cool, done in like one minute! My phone was covered by insurance and the camera stopped working. Got a replacement, on my card were Titanium Backup and a backup ROM from December. Ran dxroot again, success! Backup Assistant would not take my password, could not remove it (Verizon product) and like a total dumb a$$, I deleted the backup assistant update and checked for updates. Found one, stared at it, and by itself, it began downloading 4.5.621.MBB10.Verizon.en.US. Ack! The whole OS upgrade! There were posts about installing the update and pulling the battery before it could reboot and lock down the root file system. It failed and I now have no root on 2.3.4. <sob!>

I do have Clockwork Mod installed and a December backup. When I got the phone, by accident I turned it on and got the clockwork boot screen, all pretty in green. Got out of it and booted normally. Once the OTA update hit, cannot even get that screen again. No clockwork icon in app drawer, but accessible by Market, which says it is installed and allows me to open it. It cannot work without root, useless, but the rom backup is there.

Everywhere I look I find NO 4.5.6 root exploit found. Not happening. Only choice is to "SBF" back to "Froyo" (Which I may have had years ago originally on phone.), then root, and use some sort of "root keeper" and SBF back to 3.3.3 or whatever. I am happy with root, Titanium Backup, and the things I have. Titanium, when ran on the replacement phone, put back almost 400 apps with data in about 15 minutes, in a few hours, all desktops were restored. AMAZING! This thing did what would have taken months, if at all possible. I want it back! I was warned after rooting 3.3.3 NOT to take any OTA updates and I screwed up. Getting that done was hard because only the Linux fix worked, and man did it work good. Tried it again on new update and now not possible:

* Running exploit [part 2 of 3]...
    failed on '/data/local.prop' - Permission denied
    cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied
    cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied

I understand Linux and own a CentOS machine. The phone shows up as a usb Motorola device and logs in but not as a user. Can see it with lsusb:

[paul@paulspcworks ~]$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 011: ID 22b8:4284 Motorola PCS

Why can't we mount this device and as root on the system, open up the /Data/local.prop directory permissions as world rwx again? I do not know how to do this, perhaps alt.os.linux is the place to ask. That would make dxroot work again.

For the love of GOD help me! Line out a reasonable procedure for me with links to downloads and tutorials (Please, I am begging.) to fix this effing thing.

• What does "SBF" mean? Is it difficult? Will I brick my phone? Must I do this?
    • What comes next?
    • I assume SBF makes the phone boot a different and earlier OS, everything will be stock again, I can root it and get my stuff back, then update to Gingerbread. But how, use a ROM from here and NOT OTA?
    • How do I do this?
    • In short, how can I get this phone rooted and back to either 3.3.4 or higher and keep root?

I subscribe to this thread because I wrote it and it will help thousands of others. I will update it upon success and how it was done, that is my duty. So I will get email notification of replies here, even if directed to other threads.

I am knowledgeable and experienced with Linux and rooting but never explored ROMS because I do not want my phone to look like a freaking iPhone! I am happy with what I got.

Spell it out, please, I am begging. Forget the "told you so", it is too late for that and I am hurting bad enough.

Thank you for your time, even more thanks for your help. Watching this thread intently, please respond.

Update: Thursday, April 05, 2012
    I have my phone now rooted and there were two minor issues to fix by hand. I am happy as a clam. Goose306 and 1KDS are GOD, man! Skip to the end pages to see how I did it and how easy it was.
    Last edited by ohmster; 04-05-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: SOLVED!
    ~Ohmster
    Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, WiFi

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    First question. Did you install the 621 update or is it just downloaded to your phone?

StrykedVorteX X
    What rom do I run today??
    1kds SBF http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...-problems.html
    If you are in a state of "OMG I jacked my phone up". Go here for help.http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rescue-squad/

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    384 times
    Yeah like csk said, what is your phone info? System>settings<about phone.

Sent from my DROID X

X Operative
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    There may be a root method coming soon. Everyone at Rootzwiki is waiting to see how things shake out. Yes, you're in a semi-bad spot right now, but no need to panic just yet. At least you have a fully working phone, albeit with no root.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

Agent X
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    An sbf is short for system boot file it is the operating system on your phone as of right now there is no root method for the DROID x android version 2.3.4 system version 4.5.621 the only way someone can have root on this was if they used an app called voodoo OTA root keeper as I did not it sounds like we are in the same boat right among alot of other ppl

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Agent X
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    There may be a root method coming soon. Everyone at Rootzwiki is waiting to see how things shake out. Yes, you're in a semi-bad spot right now, but no need to panic just yet. At least you have a fully working phone, albeit with no root.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2
    This is true I tried it but it didn't work so hopefully it will give someone with the smarts a start and some good insight on how to re root this thing

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Roger that. It downloaded only. It was late, tech help at Verizon was closed, and STUPIDLY, I allowed the update to install. <sob!> I thought about this and wanted to delete it before it got installed, but did not know where it went and even with ES File manager, which still seems to have root access, at least to view the root FS, I could not find it.

Phone Specs:
    Motorola Droid X, Model MB810
    System Updates: Up to date
    System version: 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US
    Model number: DROIDx
    Android version: 2.3.4
    Baseband version: BP_C_01.09.1SP
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g1282440
    mcbk82@il93inxdroid08 #1
    Build number: 4.5.1_57_DX8-51
    ERI version: 5
    PRL version: 52644

What more can I help you with? I will do everything you suggest that is safe and within reason to get this phone back and rooted. Even learn SBF if I have to. I just posted to alt.os.linux and comp.linux.shell for help in learning if it is possible to mount a usb device and gain access, as root, it it's filesystem. If that could be done, I could restore open world wrx permission to this /Data directory, the contents of which I can no longer see in ES File explorer, now set at NO read, write, or execute. Otherwise dxroot would work.

SBF = system boot file

Yes, I saw the new "possible method", did not try it as it was a LOT of work, could very well brick the phone, and had NO confirmation that it would, could, or had ever worked. Dam Motorola for doing this. I own this $500 object and am under no contract to not alter it.

I have to do some family stuff for St. Patrick's day at mom's but will be back later to tackle this issue, please replay ASAP. And thank you for doing so.
    Last edited by ohmster; 03-17-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: new information
    ~Ohmster
    Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, WiFi

Agent X
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Hate to say it, but you are stuck for now. No exploit for 621 yet. Sbf wont matter since you can't sbf to a older version. Try and it will brick your phone. I think there is a 621 sbf floating around if you needed it. Sucks that this happened to some X owners.

StrykedVorteX X
    If you are in a state of "OMG I jacked my phone up". Go here for help.http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rescue-squad/

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 11.7%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by csk415 View Post
    Hate to say it, but you are stuck for now. No exploit for 621 yet. Sbf wont matter since you can't sbf to a older version. Try and it will brick your phone. I think there is a 621 sbf floating around if you needed it. Sucks that this happened to some X owners.

StrykedVorteX X
    Actually a couple of people now have used the new method brought to light today, and it has worked for them. Then a few have used it and can't seem to get a signal, so it's still being worked out. There is hope!

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dtroup64 View Post
    Actually a couple of people now have used the new method brought to light today, and it has worked for them. Then a few have used it and can't seem to get a signal, so it's still being worked out. There is hope!
    That is good news for sure.

StrykedVorteX X

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads