Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

This is a discussion on Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; Fash and full root in about 15 minutes. 1KDS, you RULE with your iso. Have not reset yet, is that why bloatware is still there? ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Fash and full root in about 15 minutes. 1KDS, you RULE with your iso. Have not reset yet, is that why bloatware is still there? Late, and this phone works perfect for the minute, but I want a stock 604 backup up with Clockwork in case anything goes wrong. What is next, factory reset and save with clockwork?

I got scared when the KD disc went black and my phone rebooted to a red M logo, with white rings coming from it. But it did say Mileston, I had full Verizon, and everything works, with ROOT!

But I still have bloat ware. Goose said to get that factory wipe done, use clockwork to make a backup so I can go back now if I do not like the new ROMS I choose, and I will.

Is the fact I did not factroy reset is what is causing all the VZ bloat still there? Is it too late now to get rid of it? The phone works, everything I see so far, and it is too late to wipe and reinstall all backups. Can I wait and do the fact reset tomorrow and then backup the ROM or must I flash again to get it done right? I can flash again, that was really simple and fast. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by ohmster; 04-05-2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Question
    ~Ohmster
    Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, WiFi

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post

[..]
    Here's the great thing once your rooted - go ahead and use that .604 disc provided by 1KDS. Once you are in, use the Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery. Open the app, hit "Bootstrap Recovery" wait for it to say success. Once it does, open ROM Manager (if you don't have it already, its free from the Market) then once its open hit "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" when the popup comes up, choose Droid 2 for the model. Let it download and say its updated. Now, browse the forums, either here or @Rootzwiki. Find the ROM you want to try. Download it, then move it to your SDCard. I made a folder on mine called "1ROMs & Utils" that way in Clockwork when I browse through folders its the top one always. Go ahead and mount your SDCard to your phone, then go back in to ROM Manager, and choose "Reboot into Recovery". Let it do its thing.
    I have Droid X Bootstrap Manager and had to pay for it. It is a white scull on a red drape. It does not have Droid X 2 on it anywhere. I clicked Bootstrap Recovery. It does not really have a name, is this good enough?

Since everything is working on 604, even Verizon can I back this up now and make a clean stock 604 too? 16Gb SDcard.

First thing you do when your in is go to "Backup and Restore" and hit "Backup" this will make a full system image of your stock .604 rooted. That means if you try a ROM and decide its not for you, you can always come back to where you were. Once its done, go back to the main menu, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Make sure all your apps and whatnot are of course backed up to Titanium, and your contacts are synced to Google because we're going to be starting fresh. Once that's done, go down one and hit Wipe Cache. Finally, go to "Advanced" then choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Now you're good. Go to flash .zip from SDCard, find the .zip you are looking for (the one you downloaded) and go ahead and flash it. Let it do its thing, when its down hit Reboot. You'll boot up, you'll get to the Google log-in screen (like when you first got your phone) its already activated with your number, you just need to login to your Google account. I always disable the auto-sync for apps when it prompts me because you'll be getting those via Titanium. Once your in, just go to the Market/Play Store, re-download Titanium Backup and Pro key (assuming you have it). Go to app list in Titanium, Menu hardkey, and batch restore user apps with data. Make sure you don't restore system apps with data, user apps (like games, etc.) are generally safe and good to go. Now you have everything you had previously, its just not organized. Rummage through, get everything set up how you like it. Good to go.
    I did not get a chance to do the factory wipe, but everything is there and at this late hour, that is fine by me. But, the bloatware is still there on Milestone. Will the factory wipe get rid of it? Then I can backup with ROM manager a nice, clean 604?

Do you recommend I find and install rootkeeper? Do you have a lead on a good copy?

You ever want to change ROMs? Do the same steps, just make sure you do your backup first. In my case, there is about 4 ROMs I swap between on a normal basis (YACK, MIUI, Gummy, MIUI v4). I have all 4 set up the way I want them, all nice and prettified. Once their all setup, its very easy to swap between. Just go back into Recovery, choose Restore, and Restore whatever one you wanted. Clockwork takes care of the dirty work such as doing the wipes and all that stuff. Just let it do its thing, and then hit Reboot, and you are back up and running a different ROM, just wherever you left it last. Keep in mind if your not backing up your SMS with a secondary app you will lose them as SMS are not saved to your Google account (everything else is synced and you are using Titanium for your apps) this is a minor quibble to me, if you need your SMS saved from one ROM to another there is secondary apps in the Market to do that.

So far as tethering, sorry I missed that on your prior post. There is an app that used to be in the Market that Verizon forced out, but you can still load it just by google searching. Just make sure you have it checked to install apps from Non-Market sources. Just google "WIFI Tether" here is a direct link. The latest version works great. Its the WIFI tether you were referring to earlier, but you don't have to pay for it (oh, the wonders of root)

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
    I bought non-root clockwork tether for five bucks and it works on my laptop (joy!) and desktop. Happy so far, but will grab the root version and maybe use this on another phone? Not sure if I can though.

If you are on a blur-based ROM you may need to flash the tether patch (Wugfresh, its on this same forum you are posting on here). All the 2nd-init ROMs this is unnecessary, it works as intended. (Again, we are getting rid of the Moto/VZW bloat so none of their stuff is really remaining, including their tether blocks).
    [..]

These are just a few questions that I need right away, more yak to come, especialy ROM time.

Thank you 1KDS and Goose306.
    ~Ohmster

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Alright, I am on a roll. I do not have all night for this. Here are the results so far:
    • Used 1KDS' SBF iso and followed the instructions exactly to take phone back to Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread.
    • Used 1KDS' SBF iso and followed the instructions exactly to gain root. The phone is definitely rooted!
    • This worked and surprisingly fast. Whole thing did not take 20 minutes. Maybe double that because I often panic.
    • DID NOT do a factory reset on the phone. At this point, I was quite happy, everything worked, nothing to complain about. Phone worked as my old Verizon did, no detectible difference unless you looked at phone speces.
    • Still see Verizon bloatware such as VZ Navigator running and as an option. Did not like that but no worse than stock.
    • Used Clockwork Mod to Flask clockwork to the phone, verified by turning off phone, holding vol down and power, let go. Green clockwork boot screen present. Booted normally. Phone did not require activation, performed flawlessly.
    • Bit the bullet and did a factory reset on the phone. Pulled my SD card out for this but that is not necessary, unless someone taps the "wipe card too" option.
    • Phone woke up from this without the drab gray Drod X splash wallpaper, just a blue background.
    • No signs of any Verizon specific software on board.
    • Installed Clockwork Mod and Titanium Backup, still on root of SD card.
    • Setup far less accounts but important ones like google with sync. All mail and facebook accounts.
    • Running Titanium Backup to restore 308 apps with data.

The last time I did this wipe and reinstall was when phone was exchanged 6 months ago. Titanium and google and maybe Verizon Backup Assistant completey restored the phone, all desktops, all apps, all shortcuts, and all contacts where they were before. This tme not using Verizon backup, but the Android phone system is a Google device, let them restore and let's see what happens.
    I have confidence as this appears to be going very well. Could be a few apps that got installed late such as Go SMS and it was good, reported that Milestone will not send pictures in SMS but Go SMS does. Had to restore contact photos at last restore. Let's see what happens this time and will make a backup ROM for safekeeping. Should have done this on stock, but could not wait to get my stuff back.

Will post results in a day or two.

Forget it, results are in! everything is back, desktops, all apps, everything. Some hand picking to do, reassign photos to contacts but not a big deal. Chomping at the bit to unlock the secrets of ROMS now. Time to go goose hunting.

1KDS and Goose306, you are GODS dudes! "We're not worthy, we're not worthy"

Oh God, thanks dude!

UPDATE: Friday, April 06, 2012
    The phone has been running a day now, with Milestone and I did the factory wipe. Some stuff does not work, the call voicemail app at bottom of all screens "is not installed and not available at the market". Seems we are back to the old market, not "google play" anymore.

The phone is really nice, rooted. But:
    This phone is eating batteries like potato chips. One battery ever few hours with all radient services shut off (GPS, Wireless, Buetooth, and Airplane.

Any ideas on that goose or anyone?
    Last edited by ohmster; 04-06-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Restore Finished, new information
    ~Ohmster

Noob question but i really hate the thought of bricking my phone AGAIN

So, I am on the milestone x software now. my question is, can i install pookas cm7 while I am on milestone x? my system version is 4.5.604 I've been googling all night and man it's taken it out of me.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrew00 View Post
    So, I am on the milestone x software now. my question is, can i install pookas cm7
    yes, but you will need to flash the wifi fix if you have't already
    while I am on milestone x? my system version is 4.5.604 I've been googling all night and man it's taken it out of me.
    the milestone firmware was only needed when there was no way of rooting 621.
    I would just flash the 621 sbf with ezSBF 621 or rsd lite.
    root with Super Easy Droid X, Droid 2 Rooting app - YouTube , and install a rom from my list
    Pooka cm7 is fine, but VXLR (GB) and Liquid ics 2.0 are better imo.

links in my list sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid X (MB810)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Remove Ads

Ads