Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

This is a discussion on Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; @ Ohmster. If you want to try the ADB method, ADB can be ran on either Windows OR Linux. Just set up appropriately for either. ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    @ Ohmster. If you want to try the ADB method, ADB can be ran on either Windows OR Linux. Just set up appropriately for either. You can google for guides if you don't have your Linux environment set up properly. Android is based on Linux, so if you are familiar with Linux, you are familiar with Android (for the most part). If you want to try the first method to regain using the binaries, use the z4root program as that is ran on your phone (so you won't need a Windows environment for Pete's) choose Temp. Unroot option, and then while it is running the temp unroot attempt to execute the ADB commands. If it is successful, great, you will have gotten yourself going.

If you get "Permission Denied" or it seems to work but you still do not have root access, you will need to use the SBF method. As that hack is now a couple days old, we have gotten more information, so let me explain it a bit clearer to you:

It has to be done on Linux. The reason for this is when using Windows and RSD Lite it flashes your radio. The SBF file (the .604 one that you need to gain root access) is for a Milestone X, which is a generic Droid X. So if you use RSD Lite and flash it it will flash your radio to one that is incompatible with Verizon. If you do this, you have to use RSD Lite to reflash to .621 and then call Verizon to have them reprovision or reauthorize the data on your account, but for some reason your data gets shut off and you can't regain 3G until you do so.

However, if you flash using Linux then it does NOT overwrite the baseband (that is the radio) it just overwrites the system portion. When its all said and done, your phone will think its a Milestone X, but for all intents and purposes that does not matter. It will still have the .15p radio (which is compatible with Verizon) and like I said the Milestone X is a generic Droid X, same hardware, so all interfaces, etc. work correctly. You can fix it from reporting as Milestone X once your are on the SBF and rooted by either modifying the build.prop (which is a text file you can open in /system using a text editor) or if you flash a custom ROM, as a custom ROM will over-write the files that make it think it is a Milestone X, and it will then report properly as a Droid X. Either way really doesn't matter, it works fine for all intents and purposes reporting as a Milestone X, its really just if you want it to say Droid X instead of Milestone X in some system files. As an added bonus, when its all said and done, you have the newer radio (.15p) which could possibly perform better and you are on a newer system version (the Milestone X SBF file is Android version 2.5.5, you are on 2.4 if using .621)

So, try the ADB if you want. But honestly, as we have had much reported success with the SBF version now, if you do the SBF flash it should work perfectly fine. Just make sure its performed on Linux, root using Zergrush v4; and then I'd flash a custom ROM (really, any, they all perform massively better than stock anyways) and be all set.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Smile

Oh Goose, you are a true friend, dedicated to the cause. This is most excellent advice and the way you have to treat sincere and not too stupid newbies. You rock, dude.

Uh, I have been slow to get back, right now I have to re-apply for county health. It is a nightmare of bureaucracy and paperwork, I am mired in it and cannot miss appointments. So, I cannot dare do the phone until I have a clear head for it and time to spend. Short time is what got me into this mess, I won't have it finishing me off. I might be absent for a short while, but always in touch. Take my email if you want, I do not bug anyone.

I have 3 PCs always running on super fast Comcast cable. 1 Win 7 wireless laptop, one AMD quad core Phenome Black, one Intel P4 running CentOS 6.2 with fully qualified domain names, mail, ftp, apache, and samba servers at all times. I no longer make mail a public server, live, online, on my domain. Setting up sendmail took too long, months and months. I do better with postfix and dovecot, short and sweet. I was a die hard Redhat man when I got Redhat 6 for Christmas, Redhat dumped the free, open source team to Fedora, I stuck it out. I really like the package manager, RPM. Tarballs are difficult when you do anything big, the dependencies will make you nuts. So, yum and rpm are it for me. Used to use apt-get. Fedora got stupid, bleeding edge stuff, new release every 6 months. Previously, Redhat upgrades from version to version were successful. Since Fedora took over, the updates were so different that there was no such thing as "updates". You really had to wipe and do it all over again. And making a new Linux release work the way I want, that takes months, the good tricks I collected over years. The X server got so changed you could not update, it was a totally new server. The services, ftp, apache, everything, used to be run as rc.local startups, now there is something called systemd. Who can keep up with it? I *need* this stuff to work. I do websites and give my customers live previews on my own cable apache server so that they can visit my FQDN with my username and a tilde to gain access to their sites. www.abc.com/~paul/drjackie and this works. I cannot tear down the entire system and rebuild it every six months so Fedora is out. What I wanted was Redhat Enterprise Linux because it is made for businesses that want security, updates, but, total stability. No bleeding edge stuff to take down the entire business until you figured it out and enough patches and updates came out to make it stable. By then, you had to install a new distro and do it all over again. Toying with the idea of piracy on RHEL, the Linux Usenet groups told me I do not have to pirate anything. RHEL is totally free only because you do not get tech support, they renamed it CentOS. Everything is the same, and the EOL date on 6.2 is 2017. Now I can live with that. I did not update Redhat 9 for years until it went EOL (End of Line) and updates stopped coming. I kept the distro and server live. Script kiddies got in through apache, next thing I know the machine is slow as heck. Top reveals apache is *way* too busy these days, and examining the logs revealed the infiltration. They took over sendmail and I was now a live, online spambot pumping 3,000 spam mails a day. I begged the Usenet security guys for help and they demanded I pull the plug on the machine AT ONCE or no help. Painfully, I pulled the plug. It could not be fixed, it was outdated, I had to wipe and update. And the updates to new versions kept coming. Two a year! What the heck is wrong with these people?!!

So, once I hears about CentOS, I downloaded the Live CD and fell in love with it. I installed it pronto and I ain't going back, Cent rocks! And as an added bonus, all of the struggling I had been doing with compiz was no longer necessary, I checked out desktop effects and found Compiz built right in! No way, it cannot be this simple. Yet, with one click, I had wobbly windows and a 3D spinning cube for a desktop back! And, nvidia drivers install right from nvidia again like sweet milk. Oh this is heaven, man. So yeah, I am familiar with Linux and prefer it for android work because the filesystem are native and "the same". Except that android is a severely chopped down version of Linux. I see that busybox is what restores many of the commands I would expect to find like chmod and ls -la instead of a bare bones "ls". (No permissions listed.)

So yeah, I do Linux.

I think I can try Pete's Z4 if I can find it. SBF I will have to wait for a weekend at least. I probably should not have taken out superuser so quick but the su binaries are still there, they just do not have proper permission to run. Now I see what rootkeepr is. You backup your root files in /data/xbin/rootkeeper/ (Isn't it nice to use a real slash instead of a Microsoft backslash all the time to do directory "NOT folder!" work?) and if you get temp root, you can restore them because they are already there. That is pretty cool and for a phone that depends upon a Motorola "Opps, didn't catch that one boss, I will release and update to secure that directory" in order to regain root, rootkeeper is starting to look pretty good. I can probably now create my own rootkeeper if I got root on the phone for a minute.

I feel a lot better about the Milestone SBF now that you have explained it properly. I would rather it say Droid X instead of Milestone but that is minor, I must retain the radio. What I really like about what you said was, "However, if you flash using Linux then it does NOT overwrite the baseband (that is the radio) it just overwrites the system portion.". See? THAT is what is wrong with Windows, and a half a billion other things. I do think that Windows 7 Ultra is the best bet so far from MS. Still, I hate that "Starting Windows" screen, they hide everythign and trying to troubleshoot boot issues are frustrating. At lease Linux gives you a "real" bootup screen that reveals the entire boot process if you care to see it. I got a couple of hours now, I will do Pete's if I can find it. Let me see if I can find a Linux Pete's. A url would be lovely if you have one.

Alright, we have a path and we have direction. News gets better every day. You sure did and are doing your part to make me feel more comfortable with it and make me feel welcome. This really is an excellent website. I got PM'ed by the moderator for abbreviating cuss words to highlight my frustration so I will have to watch that a bit. 1KDS was the first dude to help me out with gingerbread root. Harley Dude also turned me on to adfree and man, I want that one bad! Harley is a good dude. All of the Windows roots were bogus, he turned me on to the Linux shell script and I knew I found a home. So you guys rock, man.

I am up for at least two hours, if you catch this, give me the Linux Pete's url if you can please. Thanks man. I will always be in touch, I get notices on my phone but cannot reply from the social security building. They do not even want you to *have* a phone in that place and if you dare reveal a camera, I think I would be shot. They do not kid around in there dude. Alright, I got to look for Pete's. I want to try it, a temp root would get my foot in the door. Be watching for you. 'nite!
    Last edited by ohmster; 03-20-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling and more data
    ~Ohmster
    Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, WiFi

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh man, this 621 is brutal dude. The /data directory is locked down hard. I downloaded Pete's Linux from here:
    [Guide] ROOT or UNROOT your Droid X - RootzWiki

And it was a shell script with no instructions, but that is okay, I can read the script with vim or cat, but the vim colors makes script reading a LOT easier than cat. When I read the script, two things happened. 1, I was in love, it was the same dude who really got me out of the gingerbread jam. 2, my heart sank when I started reading it had to mod the /data directory. I already know that is locked down. I ran it to see what would happen and my worst fears were confirmed, this one will not work. Output below for those that need to see:

[paul@paulspcworks bench]$ sudo sh ./run_to_root_your_droid3.sh
    ************************************************** *************************
    * DROID 3 Easy Root script v7d *
    ************************************************** *************************
    * Please make sure you meet these pre-requisites:
    * (a) install the correct driver... er, nevermind, we don't need no stinkin' drivers
    * (b) turn on USB debugging (on your phone under Settings -> Applications)
    * (c) plug in your phone and set your USB mode to 'PC Mode' (on Linux)
    * or 'Charge Only' mode (on Mac)
    * (but if it hangs waiting for the phone to connect, set it the other way)
    * READY TO ROOT YOUR DROID 3 WHEN YOU ARE!
    * Press enter to continue...
    * Waiting for your phone to be connected...
    * Running exploit [part 1 of 3]...
    * Rebooting the phone... when the reboot is complete, you may need to unlock the phone to continue.
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    * Running exploit [part 2 of 3]...
    failed on '/data/local.prop' - Permission denied
    cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied
    * Rebooting the phone... when the reboot is complete, you may need to unlock the phone to continue.
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    ! ERROR: root was not obtained.
    !
    ! You might want to try rebooting your phone and trying again.
    [paul@paulspcworks bench]$

Yeah, so, I am really screwed. I would have been so dancing on the stars if this worked. So what's up, goose, anyone? SBF time? I will do the Linux one when I have for sure time to see it through, confirmation it works on 621. Arrrggggh! I am ready to kill someone!

Goose, you know where I am at by now and you know what I need, urls for the stuff on Linux. Can you shoot me that info please? Thanks. I am so bummed. But, this is the way it is. Good stuff does not come easy or everybody would be doing it.

Hey Goose, what do you mean, "So, try the ADB if you want."? I am running a shell script while my phone is USB connected in charge mode to a Linux machine in a putty ssh terminal or live terminal on the machine. Is that what I should be doing because this works. Is ABD something special for these phones? This is the way I did the first script that worked on gingerbread and this works. I have to SBF, something I have never done before and without the RIGHT and UPDATED binaries and scripts, I am screwed. I know you are on the ball so I am not worried. Thanks man.

Well, I am up for another hour or so. Goose says to read, so I read. Here:
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20835-621...arently-found/

And I am downloading the binaries. If I do this tonight, I am not sure. Have to see how it goes and if I feel right about it.

I need an aspirin or something a little more stiff. I will be back, thanks all. 'nite.
    Last edited by ohmster; 03-21-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: More data
    ~Ohmster

X Informant
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0.8%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I read somewhere that someone had a android backup of the .605 rooted before he took the Ota. He just backed it up and had root keeper (before the ota) and worked fine. Don't know if this may apply in your situation and he didn't sbf. But that's only one out if many that took it and are now stuck on the waiting list. Someone reading this may know who and where the thread was. I just can't remember at the moment. Hope this brings some light to your tunnel.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    koolaid, how nice of you to drop in!

I did not know about rootkeeper until now. No, I do not have it. I have clockwork mod and a backup from previous, but without root, clockwork no longer works. I remember the pretty green boot screen when I fumbled with turning it on when I first had it, but since the OTA, that is history. One point of interest is that there is a boot recovery but it looks like some sort of Motorola devs stuff, I doubt that we can use it. Let me post a picture of it in case anyone recognizes it. It is a bit blurry as I do not have a tripod and cable release for my camera, but it is readable.

DroidBootLoaderoo8b800.jpg

Sure isn't clockwork mod. So sad.

This won't help me directly, but it may help others who have the stuff they need on their phone. I am now reading Goose's stuff on SBF'ing, I hope it is up to date. He told me to read the whole thing so I have time and I am reading.
    6.21 Rootable SBF Apparently Found! - RootzWiki

OMG! There are 31 pages to read! ...sigh. Time to get out the reading glasses. Thanks for jumping in KA.

* I am on page 5. This is depressing. One thing I must say, Goose is all over this post and he is not checking out. The man is a God! Now that is good news.

OMG, this is awesome! They are using the bootloader above to get the job done in this cool video:
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20835-621...arently-found/
    (Halfway down the page, you will see it.) I just could not read 31 pages unless I know there is a happy ending so I went to 31 and am working backwards.
    Last edited by ohmster; 03-21-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Update
    ~Ohmster

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Goose,

I tried reading that stuff but there is so much teaching newbies how to use Linux stuff, plus people with rootkeeper already installed that cannot help me, I will really need a custom "how to". I know linux, shell scripts, and sudo, you can skip that stuff. Just what files for someone with 621 and old su binaries still there, if you have a chance. The discussion is interesting but I have to sift out 90% of 31 pages to get any useful data that I do not remember what I am doing anymore. I do appreciate the help though, you are dedicated man. EVen 1KDS made some kind of custom iso, but I can run commands, I just need the right files and some sort of validation that it works and I will not trash a $500 phone. Yes, Verizon still demands $500 to replace a trashed phone unless one has insurance. I do, but I just demanded my insurance phone be replaced, 6 months later the camera failed. I will not accept a "replacement defective phone" from Verizon or anyone, not at $500 a pop. I do not think they will keep replacing it either, especially if the system is trashed. Thanks.

* Does not look like we are going anywhere tonight. Time for bed. Nite all!
    Last edited by ohmster; 03-21-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    ~Ohmster

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmster View Post
    Goose,

I tried reading that stuff but there is so much teaching newbies how to use Linux stuff, plus people with rootkeeper already installed that cannot help me, I will really need a custom "how to". I know linux, shell scripts, and sudo, you can skip that stuff. Just what files for someone with 621 and old su binaries still there, if you have a chance. The discussion is interesting but I have to sift out 90% of 31 pages to get any useful data that I do not remember what I am doing anymore. I do appreciate the help though, you are dedicated man. EVen 1KDS made some kind of custom iso, but I can run commands, I just need the right files and some sort of validation that it works and I will not trash a $500 phone. Yes, Verizon still demands $500 to replace a trashed phone unless one has insurance. I do, but I just demanded my insurance phone be replaced, 6 months later the camera failed. I will not accept a "replacement defective phone" from Verizon or anyone, not at $500 a pop. I do not think they will keep replacing it either, especially if the system is trashed. Thanks.

* Does not look like we are going anywhere tonight. Time for bed. Nite all!
    Hey Ohmster, I PM'd you back, what you need to do at this point if the temp unroot/adb solution didn't work for you is to do the .604 SBF. Its an all-in-one solution, you don't need seperate binaries or anything. You have two different options:

The first is to PM 1KDS. He posted yesterday he had a test disc for the .604 SBF and root exploit; it could make your life a whole heck of a lot easier; as it will automate the process for you. You can find post (and his profile so you can PM him) as far as I know it hasn't been tested yet, but you'd be doing a service by testing and it could also very well work very easily and painlessly for you:

Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

If for some reason his disc fails, you will need to do it manually. Refer below:

Download attached archive here:
    DX.621_root.zip
    This includes the .604 SBF and the Zergrush v.4 root method.

Follow install instructions here (in OP, under first method - its the same thread I linked you to earlier, but I have updated the OP to be much clearer and detailed on how to do it - guide by skelente)

IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update! - RootzWiki
    When it comes time to run the Zergrush exploit (after you are SBF'd) you will need to either execute the program manually (in Windows) or since its a scripting file you can take it apart and run the commands yourself seperatly in a Linux terminal, whichever is preferable.

Boom! You'll be in. Keep in mind this exploit will force you to SBF, so you are going to lose your data. Make sure anything you are concerned about is backed up (that you can back up) contacts synced to server, sms backup if thats a concern, etc. When you're back after the SBF you will have to reactivate and restore.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh man, this is all rocking infor dude. Yes, I desperately need this. I am late for a health appointment, I have much to say when I return. I cannot thank you and 1KDS enough. Tell him Ohmster is really, really appreciative, he got me Pete's original gingerbread script when nothing else worked, he held my hand and really made it all better.

Late, gotta go. TTYL
    ~Ohmster

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Goose!

I am starting to understand this stuff a lot better now, thanks to you. Man, you are hardcore to the cause. Wow, amazing brother. Without people like you and 1KDS, we would all be screwed, man.

Okay, I got the boot screen and saw the video, I can do SFB now. I didn't understand the difference. I thought what we were doing was wiping and reinstalling the ROM, but that is not the case. My idea was to find a stock Verizon gingerbread 2.3.3, flash it, root it, and reinstall my stuff from clockwork backup. What is in this clockwork backup? Oh, they are 100Mb tarballs, no way to SBF something like that. I have it all wrong, I guess. I even have a clockwork backup from gingerbread from December and wish I could "go back" using that backup and Pete's SBF installer, but I must be missing something here. Let me look at the zip I downloaded to see what is in it. DX.621_root.zip

Wow, the sbf is huge!

ls -lh
    total 730M
    drwxrwxr-x 3 paul paul 4.0K Mar 17 09:17 DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 paul paul 163M Mar 21 01:36 DX.621_root.zip
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 paul paul 568M Jan 6 16:48 mb809-2.3.5.sbf

ls -lh
    total 8.0K
    drwxrwxr-x 2 paul paul 4.0K Mar 17 09:17 files
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 paul paul 3.5K Jan 4 17:18 runme.bat
    [paul@paulspcworks DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su]$ vim runme.bat

It is a batch file. I have to do this crap in Windows! Ugh. Oh wow, I am going to wait on this. Yeah, you said I could read the batch and do it in Linux, but batch and Linux are not exactly the same. Pete is good at this stuff, he knows how to make Linux and these phones really get along. Wish he would make the sbf push for Linux.

Hey, in Windows, once connected with USB and proper drivers, I can access my card in explorer to put and take files. What about Linux? Do you guys mount the phone to put and take files that way? How do you do it? Something like this?

sudo mount /dev/usbmon1 /mnt/phone

Or something like that? Or you do not even bother? I can dropbox stuff over and even use ES File manager to do it wireless as I have Linux shares. Just curious because a 165Mb file is a good sized upload.

I am really worried about losing my Verizon ID and then not being able to activate the device. I think serial numbers and mac address are hard coded so I won't lose them, but the system will not match my profile, something to be concerned about until I hear from others about this. Man I have to take a slowdown pill, I was actually going to do this last night, late, and that would have been a disaster. This is a business phone and if I lose it for weeks or months, I am screwed. My own business.

Okay I will wait for some input. You have been so good to me that I do not want to pressure anyone, although we all need solid help and you are making great progress. Waiting on you guys. Thanks all.
    Last edited by ohmster; 03-21-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: more data
    ~Ohmster

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post
    Hey Ohmster, I PM'd you back, what you need to do at this point if the temp unroot/adb solution didn't work for you is to do the .604 SBF. Its an all-in-one solution, you don't need seperate binaries or anything. You have two different options:

The first is to PM 1KDS. He posted yesterday he had a test disc for the .604 SBF and root exploit; it could make your life a whole heck of a lot easier; as it will automate the process for you. You can find post (and his profile so you can PM him) as far as I know it hasn't been tested yet, but you'd be doing a service by testing and it could also very well work very easily and painlessly for you:

Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

If for some reason his disc fails, you will need to do it manually. Refer below:

Download attached archive here:
    DX.621_root.zip
    This includes the .604 SBF and the Zergrush v.4 root method.

Follow install instructions here (in OP, under first method - its the same thread I linked you to earlier, but I have updated the OP to be much clearer and detailed on how to do it - guide by skelente)

IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update! - RootzWiki
    When it comes time to run the Zergrush exploit (after you are SBF'd) you will need to either execute the program manually (in Windows) or since its a scripting file you can take it apart and run the commands yourself seperatly in a Linux terminal, whichever is preferable.

Boom! You'll be in. Keep in mind this exploit will force you to SBF, so you are going to lose your data. Make sure anything you are concerned about is backed up (that you can back up) contacts synced to server, sms backup if thats a concern, etc. When you're back after the SBF you will have to reactivate and restore.
    Yes, I definitely will PM KD, he is really an important element to all of this and he knows me from successful help prior. I can help with this investigation because I will cooperate and report. A lot of guys get help and disappear. I realize the importance of reporting success or failure, supplying details, and awarding praise and recognition. This is a part of helping people and giving back. The subtle praise is psychologically important to the troubleshooter. He earned it and he shall have his ten minutes of fame.

I want to get 1KDS to post anything in this thread so he will get notifications and be aware of any progress made. I have some questions that maybe he can help with and maybe he can help us, I will provide a testbed with reliable feedback, as long as it is safe, I cannot risk destroying my business phone. You have carried the brunt of this task, we need more manpower.

Thanks buddy, BBS. (Be back soon.)
    ~Ohmster

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads