Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

This is a discussion on Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; Uh, hey uh, can you please provide a link to this new info so I can post there and get updates on it? I will ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gurus help, took 3.3.3 to OTA 4.5.62, lost root, Need help & Links

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Uh, hey uh, can you please provide a link to this new info so I can post there and get updates on it? I will not do it until it gets confirmed and I think this will involve flashing the phone, something I really do not look forward to doing, but if I must, at least I can read up on it.

This post will be the central meeting place, I tagged it for this phone, this update, and root access, so when we whip this thing, the answer will be here with instructions and links.

So if anybody has links to work in progress that are noteworthy, post them here please. Thank you all for replying so quickly. We really do support each other here and isn't it just grand? If my Linux hunt reveals a way to access the root filesystem, you know I will make it known here so that someone can work on an exploit, maybe even Dan Rosenberg who wrote the original dxroot in the past. I already emailed him, hope he writes back.
    ~Ohmster
    Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, WiFi

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 11.7%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    There are already a couple of threads about it here. Here's one:

Exploit found for .621 perhaps?

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I was thinking about 621 but got no real confirmation that it works, good tip though and I will watch it closely. Thanks.

From what I understand, I cannot sbf anymore since I lost root. Even the Linux gurus did not have good news. You can see my only reply so far with a newsreader program if you care with the Message ID here: Message-ID: <9skcaeFfpcU1@mid.individual.net>

He basically said that getting to all parts of the android file system may not be possible if the proper emulation software were used. He said I might only gain user space but be denied access to the root file system itself by the phone. He also pointed out that if you own and use a phone that depends on exploits to get things done, the odds are way against us and this is true. dxroot was a "Motorola Goofed" situation that Rosenberg was able to exploit. That is not going to keep happening, Windows hardens itself monthly with hotfixes all the time.

I went down a one way street with no way out and made a BIG mistake. If I had stuck with a modded ROM, I would have been fine. The new modded OS has nicer windows and bigger keys, mine doesn't. This will not help people who buy new phones and have made no mistakes.

Gosh, this is depressing. I was hoping for a quick answer and well, maybe I hoped for too much, too soon. I will keep the hope and get off of it for now. Please report back any progress. I will too. Thanks everybody. Goodnight.
    ~Ohmster

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmster View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking about 621 but got no real confirmation that it works, good tip though and I will watch it closely. Thanks.

From what I understand, I cannot sbf anymore since I lost root. Even the Linux gurus did not have good news. You can see my only reply so far with a newsreader program if you care with the Message ID here: Message-ID: <9skcaeFfpcU1@mid.individual.net>

He basically said that getting to all parts of the android file system may not be possible if the proper emulation software were used. He said I might only gain user space but be denied access to the root file system itself by the phone. He also pointed out that if you own and use a phone that depends on exploits to get things done, the odds are way against us and this is true. dxroot was a "Motorola Goofed" situation that Rosenberg was able to exploit. That is not going to keep happening, Windows hardens itself monthly with hotfixes all the time.

I went down a one way street with no way out and made a BIG mistake. If I had stuck with a modded ROM, I would have been fine. The new modded OS has nicer windows and bigger keys, mine doesn't. This will not help people who buy new phones and have made no mistakes.

Gosh, this is depressing. I was hoping for a quick answer and well, maybe I hoped for too much, too soon. I will keep the hope and get off of it for now. Please report back any progress. I will too. Thanks everybody. Goodnight.
    You had root prior to taking the OTA correct? If so there is actually two possible methods for you to attempt. The easiest and safest is some people are able to use z4root or Pete's Root Tools to run a temp root, this momentarily lifts your permissions since you already had a root-access file system, you already have su and the binaries on your system memory, you need to temp root and adb command to chmod the su files back in to action. Or you can the new method, its a bit riskier and there isn't an exact course lined out yet. I can provide relevant links for both when I get near a computer.

Sent from my MIUI Shadow

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    @ Ohmster I have updated my stickied thread @Rootz about the two methods that have been found to exploit this .621 to gain root access. As you had root prior, please read carefully and follow directions. You will want to attempt the temp unroot and adb procedure first, as that has been confirmed by multiple users to have success and is much less dangerous. Failing that you may attempt the new procedure involving flashing your Droid X to a Milestone X using the sbf_flash method. Both are detailed at the bottom of the OP. Please read all information carefully, I am simply just providing what has worked for others, and am not responsible for what you do to your phone.

Relevant link below:
    IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update&#33; - RootzWiki

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh goose, this is so promising. I removed the superuser app since it did not do anything, but the /data/xbin/su binary is still there, read only. busybox and superuser binaries were there, but since removing the superuser app, I do not see them. Still, su is present, read only, no way to execute it. If tried from a term window without root prompt #, permission denied.

I see ABD all the time, installing the correct windows Motorola drivers 5.2.0 did install ADB drivers, but what the heck does "ADB" mean?

This is very promising, even temp root would allow ad free and titanium backup to work. Unfortunately, the links from your friend's page are all to a dropbox and the links are dead. He gave the MD5 sum on the files, but without them, I have to look all over the web to find the correct Z4root package. I will try though, wish I had installed rootkeeper. I understand it a bit better now and that is a good idea. I will install it if I ever get root back.

I will for sure work on this, but without the correct binaries, my options are rather limited at the moment. This is his file link:

Download (su, binaries, z4root)
    http://dl.dropbox.co...inary_and_z4.7z
    MD5:
    8453FD1171DA3A30D13AA33F3016868D
    Size: 1,483,644 bytes

As you can see, it is down. Thanks man, I will tell you how I do, let me get some coffee.
    ~Ohmster

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Oh goose, this is so promising. I removed the superuser app since it did not do anything, but the /data/xbin/su binary is still there, read only. busybox and superuser binaries were there, but since removing the superuser app, I do not see them. Still, su is present, read only, no way to execute it. If tried from a term window without root prompt #, permission denied.

I see ABD all the time, installing the correct windows Motorola drivers 5.2.0 did install ADB drivers, but what the heck does "ADB" mean?

This is very promising, even temp root would allow ad free and titanium backup to work. Unfortunately, the links from your friend's page are all to a dropbox and the links are dead. He gave the MD5 sum on the files, but without them, I have to look all over the web to find the correct Z4root package. I will try though, wish I had installed rootkeeper. I understand it a bit better now and that is a good idea. I will install it if I ever get root back.

I will for sure work on this, but without the correct binaries, my options are rather limited at the moment. This is his file link:

Download (su, binaries, z4root)
    http://dl.dropbox.co...inary_and_z4.7z
    MD5:
    8453FD1171DA3A30D13AA33F3016868D
    Size: 1,483,644 bytes

As you can see, it is down. Thanks man, I will tell you how I do, let me get some coffee.
    Haha those are actually my links. Sorry, my dropbox maxes fairly often, people taking stuff outta there, I'm hosting SBF files and a variety of things so it maxes sometimes and will 404 people. I'll find some linkies for ya to get you rolling.

[Guide] ROOT or UNROOT your Droid X - RootzWiki You can find Z4 root here as well as Pete's Root Tools. Both are reported as successful. If you no longer has the Superuser.apk it may not work however, but you do have binaries. What you'll want to do is use z4/Pete's and run a temp unroot, execute the binaries in xbin, have a copy of Superuser.apk on your SDCard and use terminal commands to copy the Superuser.apk to /system/app and install. If you need the Superuser.apk you can get it from ChainsDD: Superuser

ADB = Android Debug Bridge. Its a way to remotely run commands to your phone using a Linux Terminal or Windows Command Line. Your computer has to have an ADB environment for it to work properly. Information here; http://rootzwiki.com/topic/1944-your...-source-72911/

I'm not sure if this will work for you, it has worked for some people however. Go ahead and try it. It carries significantly less risks to do this, as at worst you will probably just get a "permissions denied" message. The second method listed below for a fresh install has been proven to work regardless, its a bit *beta* atm, and a bit riskier because it involves flashing full phone firmware for a Milestone X and messing with radios/etc. Either way though you *should* be able to regain a rootable system environment. If you do the second one make sure you follow the instructions *to the letter*. If you SBF the wrong way or something like that you will get an incorrect radio not compatible with VZW. The information for the second one is compiled from information we have gained just since yesterday. I would *highly* recommend also reading the dev thread where the exploit was found and read people's experiences prior to jumping in with both feet (yes, all 19 pages of it, currently) http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20835-621...arently-found/
    Last edited by Goose306; 03-18-2012 at 03:04 PM.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh goose, you so rock man! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am stuck at the tire dealers this morning and I'm mired in social security paperwork all day. County health insurance nightmare paperwork and I am stuck for days with this garbage. But I am so excited that what you have told me. ADB Is really just a command line to the Linux environment inside of android like on my Linux computer then, right? That is something I really understand. The 502 Motorola USB drivers did install ADB on my windows 7 computer So I should be all set up for that. I tested the connection limit is correct then works well. I prefer Linux but will take anything available right now. I have to read up right now before going any further, as I already took out superuser like a dummy. I am for real and genuinely need your help. Thank you so much and watch this thread, you will see what happens. I installed this forum app on my Droid X phone so that is how I am communicating today. You have to admit this is progress and I am not that green of a newbie. Thanks man, talk to you soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Last edited by ohmster; 03-19-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Used wrong word by Droid X dictation
    ~Ohmster

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Oh goose, you so rock man! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am stuck at the tire dealers this morning and I'm mired in social security paperwork all day. County health insurance nightmare paperwork and I am stuck for days with this garbage. But I am so excited that what you have told me. ADB Is really just a command line to the Linux environment inside of android like on my Linux computer then, right? That is something I really understand. The 502 Motorola USB drivers did install ADB on my windows 7 computer So I should be all set up for that. I tested the connection limit is correct then works well. I prefer Linux but will take anything available right now. I have to read up right now before going any further, as I already took out superuser like a dummy. I am for real and genuinely need your help. Thank you so much and watch this thread, you will see what happens. I installed this forum app on my Droid X phone so that is how I am communicating today. You have to admit this is progress and I am not bad green of a newbie. Thanks man, talk to you soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Best of luck. Like I said if you are unable to regain your root using your existing binaries, just use a linux sbf_flash to flash the Milestone X SBF file. That has now been confirmed to work 100% of the time and you can then root, you just have to follow instructions to a T. Info on that can be found in that last link that was provided on the last post I made, just check the OP. It has been fully updated with step-by-step instructions to use the linux sbf_flash to flash the firmware and then root using zergrush v4.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your help. Talk to you soon.

Okay I am home. You reading me Goose? I am mired in so much government and medical paperwork I will never find the time for this, yet I must. I am a driven man. I also have to answer you buddy, you are extremely kind, knowledgeable, and are someone that I can talk tech with who understands and is able to drop to my level and have a darned good discussion. This is too good to be true and very rare on web forums, so you get an immediate reply Goose.

Just downloading the 162Mb DX.621_root.zip is a bit of a lengthily process. That is a huge file for superuser. I wonder what it is. It is here but my PC is still making an external USB backup since 4:00 AM. I desperately need a new system disk image as this nice quad core PC has been running Windows 7 Ultimate for about 3 years non-stop. In that time I have installed different phones (L7 SLVR, Droid X), video cards, TV tuner cards, modems, and various software such as droid explorer to use on this PC. Unfortunately this is exactly the kind of thing that slowly kills Windows over a period of time. This backup is at 83%, was 67% when I sat down, and is slowly making progress. Windows 7 is awesome with this new automated backup system. I used it many times to save my own butt and my brother hosed his own PC by taking the one and only Windows Update, years ago, to destroy this particular hack. The only way he got his Windows 7 back was by a system image restore that he, fortunately had made with Windows backup. The PC is crawling now and I cannot do any real work, I must scan several pages of documents and do not dare try it until this backup is done.

Since getting my replacement phone a week ago, I have been installing, removing, and reinstalling Motorola and Verizon drivers and Motorola Phone Tools (which fails to identify a Droid X) like crazy to find good ones that actually work and do stuff that I care about. One moto driver install did little else but pop up a Verizon web page every time I plugged the phone in. How annoying, although you can right click and turn that off in the systray. I finally hit pay dirt with Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_64bit. msi. But my system was now a mess, with WinTV playing all the time in Windows Media Center on separate monitor, this thing would lock up in a stutter and BSOD and that was it kiddies, down for the count. Resurrecting it was a challenge, sometimes I could reboot normally, other times it was "Fix my PC" time. Drivers are one thing that will mess up a Windows PC really, really badly if improper ones get installed or old ones are left in or impossible to remove. It is like throwing a piece of Apple hardware into a Windows PC and expecting it to actually boot, run, and work again. I did a LOT of cleanup to get this thing stable again although the boot time is extremely long, maybe seven minutes or more? One day I will wipe and redo the entire thing, but like no way these days. At least Windows has it's very own dedicated hard drive so my personal data should be safe. 87% backup, I really have to let this finish because I can do nothing realistically until this backup is done. Even opening a zip file would be prolonged and delay the backup and this is a pretty powerful PC. AMD 3Ghz quad black, 4Gb DDR2, nvidia GeForce 9500, and three hard drives, one dedicated Windows system, two 1TB cut into 4 partitions each. Running out of drive letters with 2 opticals and optical emulators like Daemon tools and Virtual Clone Drive. (Windows Media Center needs VCD to mount DVD iso files and play them with a cute hack freely available online. Matroska avi codecs for HD avi files.) My hard drive light is virtually pinned solid, I am doing nothing for maybe another hour (88% BU). Enough of this...

I got very depressed when I clicked your link to Pete's tools as the headline read:
    "EDIT:CAUTION...THERE IS NO ROOT FOR THE NEW UPDATE 4.5.621"

...oh Gawd!

Last link perked me right up:
    "6.21 Rootable SBF Apparently Found!"

That's me! Until I started reading, there are 23 pages to read of comments! I have to SBF and end up with a "Milestone phone", whatever the heck that is, and the radio don't work on Verizon. So big deal. I cannot listen to FM music. Uh no. They are talking about the phone communications, I will have a cool $500 toy that cannot make or receive phone calls. Not happening.

Either I have two weeks of reading and learning to do, OR, I follow your instructions "to the letter", have belief and good faith, and not hold you accountable. Wow. I will take option #2 please.

I got as far as making important URL shortcuts that you pointed out and downloading DX.621_root.zip. My 5.2.0_64bit drivers are installed and I saw ADB being installed along with them, apparently it has a lot to do with what USB setting you use when connecting to install drivers, different modes result in different drivers in some cases like charge only, pc mode, Media mode, and storage device. With ADB I imagine I will get what I want, a command line interface to the android file system itself. If I can gain root while in such a state, I can make it permanent, no doubt. This does not seem to matter with the final link you gave me reading:
    "Note: This must be flashed using a Linux SBF method, not Windows RSD Lite"

So now I get to use the P4 PC running CentOS Linux this time, which I like better for android work, instead of my AMD W7 rig. ...wow, the backup is done, I am a free man! Life, speed, and lots of pep. Now we are talking!

Quick note, I downloaded and answered the forum from my phone, cool to me, but no big deal. But, to get my logon password, I had to get to my home PC. Just as a goof, I looked through the free apps and found 2X Client, a free remote desktop app. I have that setup on my own PC for remote desktop and use it from other PCs, even Linux. But never on a phone before... It worked. It actually worked, was fast enough to be quite usable, and I could not believe I was running my home rig on a cell phone away from home! Got the password and got online. End of story.

Goose, I am stuck on paperwork today. Hate it, cannot avoid it. Do you think I have to do the Linux SBF which is reported to work? Not if it hoses the phone radio (Ability to have a phone.) Or will this Pete's thing get me in? I can, of course, try each one, but the SBF stuff is a last chance. Too dicey to risk with other options maybe available. I like the Droid X and never modded the phone as a Liberty, iPhone, or any of that stuff because things get broken, do not work, and if I wanted an iPhone, I would have bought one. I hate Apple computers!

Give me your best good advice and I will report back. Going to scan docs and will be back soon to check. Thanks Goose.
    Last edited by ohmster; 03-19-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: @ home now, more time to answer.
    ~Ohmster

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads