[ROOT][HOW TO] Win/Linux/OS X [Latest DX .602/.605]

This is a discussion on [ROOT][HOW TO] Win/Linux/OS X [Latest DX .602/.605] within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; Please, I urge you to have patience, and take the time to read this post in its entirety! Failing to do so could leave you ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: [ROOT][HOW TO] Win/Linux/OS X [Latest DX .602/.605]

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    321 times

Post [ROOT][HOW TO] Win/Linux/OS X [Latest DX .602/.605]

Please, I urge you to have patience, and take the time to read this post in its entirety! Failing to do so could leave you empty handed and frustrated. Though we are all here to help out, some issues can easily be avoided if the entire original post has been read and understood.

razorloves did an absolute superb job in this write up that has been borrowed from RootzWiki, original OP found here.

In this guide we will go over how to root your Droid X regardless of what ROM you have on your phone or what operating system you're using on your computer. I will also go over how to unroot your phone as well (Windows only).

[Please ignore any references to the Droid 3, the exploit was originally written for the Droid 3 but has since then been proven to root ANY Gingerbread on most Motorola phones.]

Windows Version

This one click method will root or unroot your phone that has a Froyo or Gingerbread ROM. It must be run on your computer and should work on any version of Windows. Again, this method is for Windows ONLY.

1. If you don't already have them installed, download and install the motorola usb drivers HERE.
    2. Download Pete's Motorola Root Tool HERE. It's a zip file so you will have to extract it to a folder.
    3. Your phone needs to have USB debugging enabled. So, go to Settings-Applications-Development, and check the box for "USB debugging".
    4. Connect your phone to your computer with usb cable and choose the "Charge Only" mode.
    5. Navigate to the "Pete's Motorola Root Tool.exe" file that you downloaded and extract earlier, and double click on it to open the one click root tool.
    6. Press the button to root or unroot your phone and follow the onscreen instructions. Your phone will automatically reboot a few times during the procedure and then it will be done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have trouble with the above method, try this one.
    This one click method will root your phone that has a Froyo or Gingerbread ROM. It must be run on your computer and should work on any version of Windows. Again, this is for Windows ONLY.

1. If you don't already have them installed, download and install the motorola usb drivers HERE.
    2. Download the Droid 3 Easy Root Script HERE. It's a zip file so you will have to extract it to a folder. (Dont worry about it saying Droid 3. It works on all Moto phones.)
    3. Your phone needs to have USB debugging enabled. So, go to Settings-Applications-Development, and check the box for "USB debugging".
    4. Connect your phone to your computer with usb cable and choose the "Charge Only" mode.
    5. Navigate to the Droid 3 Easy Root Script folder that you downloaded and extract earlier, and double click on the "Click to root your DROID 3.bat" file to open the one click root tool.
    6. Follow the onscreen instruction. Your phone will automatically reboot a few times during the procedure and then it will be done.

PLEASE READ THIS!

-If your phone reboots to bootloader after the root method has rebooted your phone to continue the root process, simply unplug the phone, reboot the phone, then when the boot animation comes back up, plug the phone back in. Rinse and repeat for the amount of times the root process needs to root your phone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linux and MacOS Versions (advanced)

This one click method will root your phone that has a Froyo or Gingerbread ROM. It must be run on your computer and should work on any Linux distro or MacOS.

1. Download the Droid Easy Root v7d.zip file from HERE. It's a zip file so you will have to extract it to a folder.
    2. Your phone needs to have USB debugging enabled. So, go to Settings-Applications-Development, and check the box for "USB debugging".
    3. Connect your phone to your computer with usb cable and choose the "Charge Only" mode.
    4. Open terminal and change the path to the folder you extracted in step #1, then execute the "run_to_root_your_droid3.sh" script to open the one click root tool.
    5. Follow the onscreen instruction. Your phone will automatically reboot a few times during the procedure and then it will be done.

MacOS Version (beginner)

1. Download the Droid Easy Root v7d.zip file from HERE.
    2. If the
    .zip file doesn't unzip itself, double click to open, a folder of the same name will appear
    3. Find the file path of the new folder, right click new folder and select Get Info, the file path appears on the left side
    4. Open Terminal (applications>utilities>terminal)
    5. Change directory to the new folder (the file path you found earlier) the following file path is an example:
    Code:
    cd /Users/yourname/Downloads/droid_easy_root_v7
    then hit enter, your terminal prompt will change to the new directory (terminal commands are case sensitive)
    You can also simply drag and drop the new folder from Finder into Terminal after typing cd (and a space) to get the file path
    6. On your DX, be sure USB debugging is turned on (settings>applications>development>USB debugging)
    7. Connect the DX to your Mac and select Charge Only from the notification bar.
    8. While still in terminal and now in the proper directory type:
    Code:
    ./run_to_root_your_droid3.sh
    Then enter (again, case sensitive)
    9. Follow the on screen instructions in Terminal, your phone will reboot three times during the process
    10. Enjoy root!

More info on all the root procedures mentioned above, can be found HERE

Phone Version

This one click method will root your phone that has a Froyo ROM. It's an Android app and must be run on your phone. Again, this method is for Froyo ONLY and will NOT work for any Gingerbread base.

1. Your phone needs to have USB debugging enabled. So, go to Settings-Applications-Development, and check the box for "USB debugging".
    2. Download the Z4Root apk file HERE
    3. Save the Z4Root apk file to the mem card in your phone. Then use the file explorer on your phone and navigate to where you saved it and click on it to install it.
    4. In your app drawer you will now see the Z4Root app. Open it and click on the Permanent Root button. It will reboot automatically after about 30 seconds to a minute, and then you're done.
    5. If your phone doesn't reboot automatically and z4root is just sitting there seeming to do nothing, then just reboot your phone and repeat step #4.

Need to unroot?

-From the first method posted above, Pete's Motorola Root Tools, has the unroot option. Simply run this and it will unroot the phone regardless of what you used to root the phone with.

Need visual assistance in the form of an awesome video? CLICK HERE!

CREDITS:
    HUGE thanks to Dan Rosenberg (djrbliss) for discovering the vulnerability to root Moto gingerbread roms. Original thread HERE
    Big thanks to Framework43 and Psouza and zdooder for making the gingerbread root tools. Original threads HERE and HERE
    Many thanks to RyanZA for the Z4Root app. Original thread HERE
    Last edited by macpro88; 12-16-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    wastegas, jwalz, TN6vols and 7 others like this.

DroidXForums Guidelines of Conduct
    Show Your Support and Become a Supporting Member Today!

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    321 times
    Credits to 1KDS for the awesome Mac OS instructions, thank you 1KDS!

DroidXForums Guidelines of Conduct
    Show Your Support and Become a Supporting Member Today!

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

Agent X
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 2.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Nice write up. It's good to.have all of this info in one place instead of scattered around the forum. Thanks Mac.

Sent from MI UI on MY DX.
    matjs1 likes this.

Don't know what we are talking about? Check the Android Dictionary
    Think you know what to do? Look at THIS first.
    Root .602 & .605 info here.

Need to SBF? Try this.

DROOOID Notification Sound

Gingerbread Red "M" Boot Logo

Froyo White "M" Boot Logo

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Good deal, i just rooted with the linux method and everything went swimmingly at least twice. I reloaded my nandroid backup system & Data the first time. Loaded the wrong date the next time, and finally got it right on the third try.

Thanks!

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Great write up guys. This is going to help tons of people!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just downloaded used Pete's Motorola Root Tool.exe to root my DroidX that has the Verizon GB 605 OTA pushed a few days ago and it worked flawlessly, as far as I can tell. Root Check reported rooted and I used WiFi Tether version 3.1-beta6 to tether my iPad and was able to get on line - no issues so far. My thanks to you all. Definitely made my day!!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Help!!

i have tried MULTIPLE times to root my phone to no avail. i had it rooted before the OTA gingerbread update and now it wont root. I have tried the one click method many times and it said it rooted but it did not. My SU binary will not update because it is not rooted. What now??

X Lurker
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    awesomesauce! got it done

i <3 my root haha

X Lurker
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New to Mac

I have always used PC's until my laptop broke, so I'm on my girlfriends Mac, so any help would be greatly appreciated. When I type in the command /Users/myname/Downloads/D3_easy_root_v7, I do not get the new directory. I instead get bash /Users/myname/Downloads: is a directory, and then I get brought to the same directory as I started. I understand everything is typed case sensetive and im not actually typing "myname".

X Lurker
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joanofnick View Post
    I have always used PC's until my laptop broke, so I'm on my girlfriends Mac, so any help would be greatly appreciated. When I type in the command /Users/myname/Downloads/D3_easy_root_v7, I do not get the new directory. I instead get bash /Users/myname/Downloads: is a directory, and then I get brought to the same directory as I started. I understand everything is typed case sensetive and im not actually typing "myname".
    I have the exact same problem. I am following the instructions word for word and the exact same thing happened as the situation above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads