Boot Manager

This is a discussion on Boot Manager within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; I thought it would be good to start a thread for this for posting your rom setup and help. Here is just a basic guide ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Boot Manager

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.8%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times

Boot Manager

I thought it would be good to start a thread for this for posting your rom setup and help.

Here is just a basic guide i put together. Please excuse the typos, lol.

How to use Boot Manager Basic guide
    Online manual for Boot Manager http://init2winitapps.com/stories/BMManual.html
    Init2winitapps forum http://forum.init2winitapps.com/

Before starting make sure the following have been met
    1. You must be on Gingerbread kernel to use this app.
    2.You must be on a 2nd init Rom to use this app, currently GB cm7 or Miui (installing other non 2nd init roms comes later).
    3. Make a backup, just in case.
    4. Plenty of time, lol.

A few tips to follow.
    1. Installing roms can take between 7-12 minutes and restoring nandroids or backing up SD roms can be 10- 20 minutes to complete so make sure you have a full charge
    2. Temporarily change the screen timeoutto 10 minutes or never and change it back when it’s done. Sometimes when the screen goes off while Boot Manager is running and has a hard time coming back on when trying to wake it and leave you with a black screen. Only thing you can do is wait it out and if it’s been more than 10 minutes and screen won’t turn back on pull battery and you may have to start over.
    3. Avoid using the phone while the app is running (optional, but recommended)
    4. When flashing a rom to a slot or restoring a nandroid its best to do it from phone rom and not SD rom. It may not work if you do.

Setting up your Phone Rom ***First and most important step***
    20111006_195743.jpg

1. If you are not on a second init rom start by making a nandroid backup of your current rom, this will come into play later.
    2. After you made your backup choose which rom you want as your phone rom, GB cm7 or Miui, you may want to start with GB cm7, you can change phone rom later.
    3. After you flashed your rom of choice,GB cm7 or Miui, Set up your phone as normal, restoring apps, accounts, etc.
    4. Go to the market and purchase “Boot Manager” if you haven’t already. (If you’re using GB cm7 make sure to flash latest GAPPS first, available in “ROM Manager”.
    5. Open Boot Manager, give it root access, and the first thing you should do is setup phone rom before using anyother options.
    6. Select “Setup Phone Rom”. It will give you a warning to make sure you’re not booted into one of the SD roms (which you shouldn’t). click “Okay” and proceed.
    7. After a few seconds you will get a message saying “Success!!!” and your phone has been backed up successfully. You are now done setting up your phone rom, easy!!!

Installing Roms to slots

1. If you haven’t downloaded which roms you want as your SD roms do so now, these can be 2nd init roms, GB cm7 or Miui, or non 2nd init roms, Apex 602, VorteX, etc. 602 based roms seems to work best, 596 based roms like Darkslide X doesn’t work (for meanyways) but restoring a nandroid of Darkslide X does work.
    3. After you have your roms downloaded to your SD card open Boot Manager app then select “Install Zips”. This will show you to all the folders on your SD card.
    4. Look for the location where you haveplaced your roms and select the one you want to install.
    5. After selecting your rom you willhave a menu with the following.
    3 options on top (Wipe System, WipeData, Wipe Cache).
    A list of 4 slots.
    “Install Kernel” option on bottom (you will not be using this option on the Droid X because of the locked bootloader so ignore it)
    6. Check all three boxes, Wipe system,data, cache, and select one of the empty slots and confirm the selection andlet it run.
    7. When it’s finished you will get a message in the notification bar saying complete. You can monitor the progress by watching the ongoing notifications in the pulldown.
    8. You will want to test it and make sure it is working so in the notifications where it says complete click it and you should get a prompt confirming. Select the slot where you installed the rom, it should have the same name as the roms zip name. If you don’t see the roms zip name in a slot exit the app and open it again.
    9. If you restarted the app select “Boot Installed ROM” and select the rom you just installed. It will ask if you want to boot to it, click “Okay” and let it reboot.
    10. After a minute or so it should boot into your SD rom. After it boots give it some time to load and then set everything up as you normally would do after flashing a new rom. If it doesn’t boot after 5 minutes don’t panic and follow the steps below.
    Pull battery and put back in and power up. It should take you to clockwork recovery.
    Using volume key to move and camera button to select choose “Install zip from SD card” then select “choose zip from SD card.
    Navigate to” Boot Manager” folder and select it and inside you will see some more folders. Open “phone Rom” folder and select the “update.zip” and then confirm the selection. This will only take a few seconds.
    After it’s done go back using the back button and then select reboot now.
    If it didn’t install it might be a bad download or it might not be compatible with the app. Not all roms have been tested and most of the 602 based roms do work, some have issues with 605 based ones. Its trial and error from here to see if you can get it going.
    If it’s a 605 rom that won’t work install a 602 rom and boot into it to make sure it works and go back to your phone rom and install the 605 on top with all 3 boxes checked, Wipe system, data, and cache. This might work but no guarantee.

Restoring a Nandroid Backup to a slot
    20111006_200138.jpg

1. Open Boot Manager app and select“Manage Installed ROMs”.
    2. Select “Restore Nandroid to SD”, it will list all your folders on your SD card.
    3. Navigate to clockworkmod> backup and choose the nandroid you want to restore, has to be a gingerbread backup.
    4. It will ask you to restore nandroid, click okay.
    5. Choose the slot you want to restore your nandroid. If a rom is already installed there it will warn you that it will be overwritten, click okay and let it run.
    6. When its finished open notifications with pulldown and select it and it will bring you to “Boot Installed ROMs”menu. Test it by selecting the slot where you restored your nandriod, should have the same name of your backup.
    7. Click okay it let it reboot. If it works it should boot up between 1-3 minutes. If it hangs at the boot logo longer than 5 minutes follow the same steps as you would if the rom failed to install. Refer to Installing Roms to slots step #10.

Backing up SD Roms
    20111005_235311.jpg20111005_235351.jpg

1. Open Boot Manager and select “Manage Installed ROMs”
    2. Select “Backup ROM Slots”.
    3. Select which rom you want to backup, only SD roms are available. Use clockwork recovery to backup phone rom.
    4. Click “Okay” and let it run, it will take some time to complete. When it finishes you will be back on Manage Rom slots menu.

Special Instuctions if using Miui with Defy base as phone rom. Credit and thanks go to Cobracon for finding a fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobracon71 View Post
    first make MIUI ur phone rom in boot manager once done
    install the roms you want in ur bootmanager slots
    after the installs are complete click boot installed rom and choose the rom you want to boot into
    let the phone reboot
    once it reboots press the power button and reboot recovery once into recovery hit reboot and it should boot into the rom you wanted it did for me anyway

One last tip
    If possible avoid deleting slots that have the image files already setup. Boot manage rtakes the most time setting up those image files. If you can just do the wipes, system, data, and cache, it will reduce the time and can take as little as 5 minutes to install roms or restoring nandroid backups.
    Last edited by Wulf; 10-11-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    JNEHAMA likes this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    awesome... i was sure this was out yet.. i'm out to get it... : )

Post Script:

We have nothing to fear but runnig out of beer/*****|*****\

Nemo Aeternamn Wallpapers

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo aeternamn View Post
    awesome... i was sure this was out yet.. i'm out to get it... : )
    The full release for the X is sometime friday.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    ah... you just got an early copy...

lucky!!!

looks like i'll have to wait just a little longer

Post Script:

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo aeternamn View Post
    ah... you just got an early copy...

lucky!!!

looks like i'll have to wait just a little longer
    Yeah, but it was paid for, lol. Didn't expect it either, right place at the right time I guess.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    nice...haha... i got my copy reserved... so to speak... : ) i'll throw up my set up when i get things set up with it

Post Script:

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I heard somewhere that this makes the ROMs a lil bit slower because they run off the SD Card; is that true?

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew DZ View Post
    I heard somewhere that this makes the ROMs a lil bit slower because they run off the SD Card; is that true?

Yes there is some lag at first and needs to settle in, that's why overclocking image roms is recommended.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    A few questions Wulf.

How freaking awesome is that!! Lol

What are you useing as ur phone rom?

Difficulty rating?

Lucky dog I'm awlays in the wrong place at the wrong time! Lol soon enough though right I can't wait

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron.edwards View Post
    A few questions Wulf.

How freaking awesome is that!! Lol

What are you useing as ur phone rom?

Difficulty rating?

Lucky dog I'm awlays in the wrong place at the wrong time! Lol soon enough though right I can't wait

It's great. Lots to test.

Cm7 is my phone Rom.

First setup scale 1-10 is around 7. After all so done about a 5. Its a 7 to start with because there was some trouble shooting that I had to do to get some things to work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Ads