My Droid X is hot and burns through the battery

This is a discussion on My Droid X is hot and burns through the battery within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; Up until a couple months ago I was running stock Moto Blur Froyo rooted with no problems at all. But after upgrading to Gingerbread Blur ...

Thread: My Droid X is hot and burns through the battery

X Lurker
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy My Droid X is hot and burns through the battery

Up until a couple months ago I was running stock Moto Blur Froyo rooted with no problems at all. But after upgrading to Gingerbread Blur rooted, a few weeks later the back of the bottom quarter of the phone started warm and it would drain the battery by about 15% per hour (5 hours of sitting in idle standby to go from a full charge to dead). I checked the CPU usage and it was normal (floating from 5% to 20% when idle), killed all apps, restarted the phone, let it sit without the battery for a while, uninstalled recently installed apps, turned off GPS and wifi, and nothing seemed to fix it. But then it just stopped on its own and the phone went back to normal.

Well, that's happened several times. The last time it happened, I "fixed" it by updating Gingerbread to the latest rooted version, which basically entailed of a complete phone wipe/format and reinstalled the newest rooted Gingerbread as a clean install. However, the problem just came back this past week again. I'm not sure what to do about it. Although I couldn't find anyone else having this issue, I'm guessing it has something to do with Gingerbread, not my hardware since I never had this issue on Froyo. I thought maybe switching to a custom ROM would solve the problem, but before I do that I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has an idea of what's going on with my phone and how to fix this problem and if moving to a custom ROM would even fix it in the first place. Any help or direction you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Technician X
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    You probably have a process running wild. If you don't feel like tracking it down, a simple factory reset should resolve it.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post
    You probably have a process running wild. If you don't feel like tracking it down, a simple factory reset should resolve it.
    How would I go about tracking it down?

That's what I thought, too, but I thought the clean install of the Gingerbread update would fix that, but it didn't. Maybe because I restored my apps/settings with Titanium Backup? Would that just bring the problem process back?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 712
    Overall activity: 62.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    if you look in your battery life.. it will show you what's using the battery...
    and there are also apps for gingerbread that will give you a better brake down of what's drawing the power
    Post Script:
    We have nothing to fear but runnig out of beer/*****|*****\
    Nemo Aeternamn Wallpapers

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

X Operative
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.4%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Had the same problem. I blamed it on something amiss in an app that I was reloading with TiBu, did my restore from market and everything was fine.
    What am I running right now? Heck, I'm not sure I know!
    Wugfresh SBFboot - the easy way to sbf

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo aeternamn View Post
    if you look in your battery life.. it will show you what's using the battery...
    and there are also apps for gingerbread that will give you a better brake down of what's drawing the power
    It says:

Display - 42%
    Phone idle - 11%
    Cell standby - 10%
    Motorola Services - 6%

and then some other apps I use all with a low percentage.

Is there an app you recommend that breaks down the usage better? I use System Panel Lite to monitor CPU and Memory and to end processes, but that doesn't seem to say anything about the battery.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 712
    Overall activity: 62.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    bettrrbatterystats is a great app for a better brake down of the battery usage

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer
    Post Script:
    We have nothing to fear but runnig out of beer/*****|*****\
    Nemo Aeternamn Wallpapers

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

Technician X
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    More than likely something would show up in the battery stats. Android system is the usual one when you have a runaway process. You're right, that doesn't appear to be the problem.

Check the detailed stats by pressing the graph at the top and make sure the phone isn't wake-locked. By that I mean make sure the awake bar isn't highlighted all the way across the screen. If something is keeping the phone from sleeping that would also kill your battery rather quickly.

Also, not restoring from titanium after another factory reset would be a good idea to see if it is in fact an app causing whatever the problem is.

Remove Ads

Ads