[HOW TO] BE READY to FLASH GB/2nd-INIT ROMs

This is a discussion on [HOW TO] BE READY to FLASH GB/2nd-INIT ROMs within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; Okay, first, thank you all for your patience. I was getting dizzy trying to wrap my head around this, and had to step away for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] BE READY to FLASH GB/2nd-INIT ROMs

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 14.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Okay, first, thank you all for your patience. I was getting dizzy trying to wrap my head around this, and had to step away for a while, but I'm back.

So the bootloader is locked (I was thinking a hardware thing like a chip), but really it's just a software lock that a properly signed Verizon update would have the key to unlock, right?

So the bootloader loads the kernel, which is not the operating system, but in turn loads the operating system, right? I was thinking before that the kernel was Froyo or Gingerbread, which was loaded directly by the bootloader.

So with the bootloader locked, what is it that it is preventing from being updated? Itself? The kernel? The operating system? And when the OTA updates come through, obviously they update the Android OS, but do they also update the kernel or the bootloader?

Sorry, I just re-read the Original Post where you talk about the "kernel from Froyo" and the "Gingerbread kernel", so I guess I'm still not understanding if the kernel is or is not part of the operating system.

Please, if this is too off-topic and I should go somewhere else to learn this, just let me know. I won't take it the wrong way.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    [quote]
    Okay, first, thank you all for your patience. I was getting dizzy trying to wrap my head around this, and had to step away for a while, but I'm back.

So the bootloader is locked (I was thinking a hardware thing like a chip), but really it's just a software lock that a properly signed Verizon update would have the key to unlock, right?
    [\quote]

Motorola would have to unlock it, its Motorola's software, Verizon just has a say in how it works...

So the bootloader loads the kernel, which is not the operating system, but in turn loads the operating system, right? I was thinking before that the kernel was Froyo or Gingerbread, which was loaded directly by the bootloader.

So with the bootloader locked, what is it that it is preventing from being updated? Itself? The kernel? The operating system? And when the OTA updates come through, obviously they update the Android OS, but do they also update the kernel or the bootloader?

Sorry, I just re-read the Original Post where you talk about the "kernel from Froyo" and the "Gingerbread kernel", so I guess I'm still not understanding if the kernel is or is not part of the operating system.

Please, if this is too off-topic and I should go somewhere else to learn this, just let me know. I won't take it the wrong way.
    When a new signed official update comes from Motorola, the bootloader is temporarily unlocked while the update is applied, this allows for a new kernel to be installed. Once installed, the bootloader is re-locked, and we have the new kernel installed. Once it is installed, we can use a system dump to get the info needed to run custom roms and whatnot on the new kernel. We just are not allowed to swap it out.

Now to get CM7 and other Source ROM's running on the new kernel, the 2nd-INIT hack did not work the same with the newer kernel, so some work had to be done to get it to work. Once it worked, all the ROM files then need to be updated to work on the new kernel.

Its a lot of work lol, but you need not worry about it.

The kernel is a piece of software separate from the OS. It pretty much tells the hardware how to interact with the OS.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by macpro88; 09-05-2011 at 04:46 PM.

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 14.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    Motorola would have to unlock it, its Motorola's software, Verizon just has a say in how it works...
    Ah, thanks for that. So although we get the updates from Verizon, Verizon actually tells Motorola what to put in the update (like the stuff to track tethering), Motorola puts the package together, and gives it to Verizon to distribute to us. Right?

When a new signed official update comes from Motorola, the bootloader is temporarily unlocked while the update is applied, this allows for a new kernel to be installed. Once installed, the bootloader is re-locked, and we have the new kernel installed. Once it is installed, we can use a system dump to get the info needed to run custom roms and whatnot on the new kernel. We just are not allowed to swap it out.
    Except when we SBF? Then we can just swap it out because what we are flashing is signed by Motorola?

Now to get CM7 and other Source ROM's running on the new kernel, the 2nd-INIT hack did not work the same with the newer kernel, so some work had to be done to get it to work. Once it worked, all the ROM files then need to be updated to work on the new kernel.
    So all Source ROMs are 2nd-init, and any ROMs that are not 2nd-init (like Apex) are not Source ROMs but just Motorola ROMs with stuff stripped out?

Its a lot of work lol, but you need not worry about it.
    I'm sure it is a lot of work, and I'm in awe of the skill of all the devs, and grateful for their dedication. I know what it's like to do something difficult for someone and have them say "thanks, that's nice" and not really understand what you're giving them.

The kernel is a piece of software separate from the OS. It pretty much tells the hardware how to interact with the OS.
    Hope this helps.
    Yes, this has been very helpful. I've been reading and googling as much as I can, and will continue to do so. Thanks for taking the time to help!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 3club View Post
    Ah, thanks for that. So although we get the updates from Verizon, Verizon actually tells Motorola what to put in the update (like the stuff to track tethering), Motorola puts the package together, and gives it to Verizon to distribute to us. Right?

Except when we SBF? Then we can just swap it out because what we are flashing is signed by Motorola?

So all Source ROMs are 2nd-init, and any ROMs that are not 2nd-init (like Apex) are not Source ROMs but just Motorola ROMs with stuff stripped out?

I'm sure it is a lot of work, and I'm in awe of the skill of all the devs, and grateful for their dedication. I know what it's like to do something difficult for someone and have them say "thanks, that's nice" and not really understand what you're giving them.

Yes, this has been very helpful. I've been reading and googling as much as I can, and will continue to do so. Thanks for taking the time to help!
    I think the updates actually come from Google's servers. Motorola builds the updates, Verizon approves them, and then Google pushes them. I'm pretty sure.

When you SBF, you are flashing a fully signed official Motorola flash file, that wipes the entire flash memory chip and re-installs everything, kernel included, not sure if the bootloader is also included or not, don't think so though.

All Source ROMs for Motorola Verizon DROID branded phones are 2nd-INIT (DX, D2 I think are it), if you have an unlocked phone, 2nd-INIT does not apply.

Glad to help
    3club likes this.

X Informant
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    DXC - Baseband Update .13P

Here is the radio file. Follow instructions. Need to be on .340.

[Insert mobile sig here]

Macpro88 with a lightening fast reply as always. Thank you.
    Currently Gingerbreaded
    1.3 Ghz

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I am reading and preparing to make the jump to CyanogenMOD, but I have a question.

I would like to update my radio while I'm updating things. As i understand, the only way to do this is to use p3's two part update from .340 to jump to .602. Then, in order to be ready for CyanogenMOD, I would need to SBF back to .340. From the looks of it, using p3's SBF doesn't wipe the radio version and such like the maderstock SBF does. Does this sound right?
    Has anyone tried sbf'ing on stock gb using the madderstcok.zip? If it works, mission portable sbf is then complete!

You thought you were once a bad noob? You haven't thought about me..... (haha)
    I'm diagnosed with a severe case of noobecidis, it might not be treatable...

X Informant
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    WOW, now my head is spinning.. ok so if i had my orignal phone and was on 2.3.3...then went to apex. before i can jump to cyranogen mod i have to jump back before 2.3.3?...and sorry to peg everyones noob radar. i just get to a point where i think i can just squeek by then i read stuff like this. so many things to take in.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine Four One View Post
    WOW, now my head is spinning.. ok so if i had my orignal phone and was on 2.3.3...then went to apex. before i can jump to cyranogen mod i have to jump back before 2.3.3?...and sorry to peg everyones noob radar. i just get to a point where i think i can just squeek by then i read stuff like this. so many things to take in.
    If you want to jump to the official CM7, you will actually need to SBF back to Android 2.2.1 System 2.3.340, the kernel used in this specific software version is what is needed to run the official CM7, currently, the most update DX will be Android 2.3.3 System 4.5.605, which features a new kernel but that kernel has not yet be integrated into the official CM7 family tree yet.

When in doubt, follow the instructions exactly in the ROM's release thread that you plan on flashing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads