WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]

This is a discussion on WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips] within the Gingerbread Development and Hacking forums, part of the Droid X Gingerbread Forum category; You guys are on the right track. Froyo had no tracking software. I was on Froyo for aaages (got my DX on release, was on ...

Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 266674757677 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    You guys are on the right track. Froyo had no tracking software. I was on Froyo for aaages (got my DX on release, was on Eclair until we got the Froyo leak, then got a ROM based on the Froyo leak and ran it for about a year) and never had any issues with WIFI tether. When I eventually went to Gingerbread I SBF'd up (then promptly back down as I went to MIUI which at that point was on the Froyo kernel lol) and I never ran stock GB and/or non-2nd-init so I had no idea about this patch until I had to root my Mom's stock DX and tried running WIFI tether on GB and starting getting the Verizon popups.

Anyways, long story short, Froyo is free and clear without Wugs. They have the same files, but GB had some radio updates in the NV items and they also integrated some of the tracking firmware into the settings which b0rked up everything as you couldn't remove it as it was the settings. You can remove the additional tracking items (I probably would to be safe) but the patch itself is not necessary, as it will work even with the tracking packages that are on Froyo.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 78.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    It all makes sense now, thanks so much for the info and writing that up Goose!

Sent from my DROIDX

X Informant
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Can someone point me to tethering options for ICS- and does ICS have the exact same tracking and auto-updating files that I had successfully removed from my GB phone?

Thanks

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pstgh View Post
    Can someone point me to tethering options for ICS- and does ICS have the exact same tracking and auto-updating files that I had successfully removed from my GB phone?

Thanks
    As far as I can tell they are not trying to track tethering on ICS; it seems VZN decided to tackle the "problem" from a financial approach instead; that is why you are seeing them push tiered data plans now, inexorably forcing end users to pay more money for data. My assumption, is that vzn probably doesn't really care whether people are tethering or not, so as long as they are getting enough money for the data service they provide, and that the relative data usage is not putting a strain on their physical network (data load exceeding their physical infrastructure).

{{ WugFresh }}
    Last edited by WugFresh; 06-24-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    Easy method for SBF'ing your phone back to stock
    + SBFboot - the easy way to sbf
    Best ways to improve your phones overall performance:
    + How To Optimize Battery Life & Speed
    Wireless tethering on GB simplified
    + WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]
    Other helpful resources:
    + Deodexing Explained + How To
    + [One Stop] Rom Goodies, Extras, Mods & More

..:: Follow me on Twitter and Google+::..

X Informant
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm obviously not familiar with ICS yet. I suppose that means that big red allows the built-in hotspot to function without any mods?

That's interesting- is it your understanding that they will allow folks to keep the unlimited data plan if they purchase a phone separate from a subsidized "upgrade" plan?

Just curious.

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pstgh View Post
    I'm obviously not familiar with ICS yet. I suppose that means that big red allows the built-in hotspot to function without any mods?

That's interesting- is it your understanding that they will allow folks to keep the unlimited data plan if they purchase a phone separate from a subsidized "upgrade" plan?

Just curious.
    No, you still need to use a third party app like http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

They are trying very hard to phase out unlimited data plans. I believe that there are still ways to get grandfathered in and keep that plan, however it seems that they are not going to let people do that in the future with out purchasing an unsubsidized device.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/12...ng-data-plans/

{{ WugFresh }}
    Easy method for SBF'ing your phone back to stock
    + SBFboot - the easy way to sbf
    Best ways to improve your phones overall performance:
    + How To Optimize Battery Life & Speed
    Wireless tethering on GB simplified
    + WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]
    Other helpful resources:
    + Deodexing Explained + How To
    + [One Stop] Rom Goodies, Extras, Mods & More

..:: Follow me on Twitter and Google+::..

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    No, you still need to use a third party app like android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

They are trying very hard to phase out unlimited data plans. I believe that there are still ways to get grandfathered in and keep that plan, however it seems that they are not going to let people do that in the future with out purchasing an unsubsidized device.

Reminder: You Do NOT Have to Switch to Verizon’s New Share Everything Data Plans – Unlimited Data Can Be Kept – Droid Life

{{ WugFresh }}
    Gotta either buy a new phone at subsidized pricing prior to the share plans coming out or pre-order the GSIII prior to that date of the share plans and you can keep unlimited under a new contract.

After then will have to pay retail (i.e. not new contracts/subsidized, depending on phone around $600 for brand new) if you want to keep unlimited.

I think the links on the front page are dead. Found a mirror to the older 1.1 version though and it is working great. Thanks OP!

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 10.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Had to pop back in after a long spell to say THANKS! to Wug for putting this package together. It restored my X to it's former reliability after *accidentally* taking the OTA to 621. (Long story...) My X serves me and the Mrs. as a WAP when we're in remote locations.

Short story, I wanted a 7-inch X, without the phone. Found it in the Nook Tablet. Built like a tank and the price just came down. Anyone looking for a solid Android tablet with no frills should definitely check it out.
    Last edited by sweller; 08-17-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Does anyone have a working DL link? I can't find a mirror anywhere :-(

Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 266674757677 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads