Post all "Where is my 2.2" concerns in this thread...

This is a discussion on Post all "Where is my 2.2" concerns in this thread... within the Froyo 2.2, News-Rumors-Wishes forums, part of the Droid X General Discussion category; Early Sept. is Next week....

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Post all "Where is my 2.2" concerns in this thread...

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Early Sept. is Next week.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    well, I'm all for it Ijust hope it doesn't introduce too many bugs, glad to have from a fewe people that it has gotten louder overall.

X Operative Achievements:
    Created Album pictures250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    Early Sept. is Next week.
    That is exactly why I am waiting for the official version. Who knows...some of the bugs that peeps are experiencing may be the very thing they are working on before the official release. Patience we must have...rewards we may reap
    Don't just take a trip...go on a journey

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Anyone know if there will be an effort to root 2.2 on the Droid X or now that there's the leaked version that keeps root if you had it before there won't be anyone trying? Or does the root of 2.2 on Droid 2 work?

X Informant Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    lets just hope its not like the moto cliq and keeps getting pushed back my guess would be 3rd week in september but who knows

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by omnicious View Post
    Anyone know if there will be an effort to root 2.2 on the Droid X or now that there's the leaked version that keeps root if you had it before there won't be anyone trying? Or does the root of 2.2 on Droid 2 work?
    My "guess" is that if you copy su to xbin you can root it once it finishes upgrading just like the leaked version.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by omnicious View Post
    I believe Birdman has said that the 2.2 will be able to be rooted with some tweaks to his current 2.1 exploit. He is the one who discovered an exploit to root 2.1.
    -- Rooted Droid X --

- Core i7 920 @ 4.1Ghz
    - EVGA Classified 760
    - 2 x EVGA GTX 480s in SLI
    - 6GB G.Skill 2GHz CAS 8 RAM
    - Thermaltake 1200W PSU
    - BD-RW Drive

X Operative
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thecta View Post
    That is exactly why I am waiting for the official version. Who knows...some of the bugs that peeps are experiencing may be the very thing they are working on before the official release. Patience we must have...rewards we may reap
    BTW - I haven't had issues with the leaked version and it's been a nice improvement, but my phone wasn't rooted. 90% of the people reporting issues have their phone rooted, so their configuration will be MUCH more complex than mine.

Moto/Verizon are going to focus almost all testing resources on stock/unrooted phones, so bugs on rooted phones are primarily going to be found by the user community, and I expect that will continue after the OTA release.

I run lots of apps, make extensive use of the nav features, browser, YouTube and often run my battery out before the end of the day (nav chews batteries with the constant GPS pinging/map updates, and I tend to plug it in while driving).

The 2.2 leaked update has refined the phone and I suspect the OTA version will be very close.

Developers HATE making changes in the last X weeks before release. Every change has potential to fix one bug, but create a new one. Regression testing can be extremely painful. I won't be surprised by a change or two, because it's impossible to know if the leaked version is an early or later release candidate** (see below).

A some point a release candidate become the official release. Sometimes something is fixed/changed and the next release candidate becomes the "official" release.

I also won't be surprised if the leaked is the same as the final, and they will issue additional OTA updates a month or two after 2.2 official goes live.

(Just like there was the OTA for 2.1 around two weeks after DX was released. It was probably created before the DX released, but was still testing until they released it.)

** Release Candidate:

When developers think a build is good enough to go live, they build a package (all the update files), call it "release candidate 1" and send it to testing. IF it passes with few enough bugs, they will make it the official release. If there are show stoppers, they fix X bugs, create a new release candidate (x), and send to testing.

That process repeats X times (usually 2-5) until a build is stable enough for the real world. NOT zero bugs, but few enough that they believe they can live with the tech support load it will create.

After they have the "official" release, they continue working to fix known bugs, so by the time it's installed across the user base (a month later, or more), they usually have a set of bugs fixed internally, but wait until they can't stand it and then send out another OTA with a package of fixes.

The goal is to minimize the update packages, since each one creates potential for additional side effect bugs, conflicts with existing apps, etc.

Very complex process, and each package goes through an amazing amount of testing, but they still can't find all the bugs.
    crkkes likes this.

Agent X
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures100 Experience PointsThree FriendsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    I just got it this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d
    The Droid was BORN great

"Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them..." -William Shakespeare

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    I remember all the rumors about 2.2 on the D1, and it just started rolling out this month. I didn't bother wasting any time and updated to the leak.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads