Stock .621 Droid x signal issues

This is a discussion on Stock .621 Droid x signal issues within the Everything about Gingerbread forums, part of the Gingerbread General Discussion category; Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of my parents. They have never rooted or done anything unusual with their phone, but they have lately noticed ...

Thread: Stock .621 Droid x signal issues

X Lurker
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Stock .621 Droid x signal issues

Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of my parents. They have never rooted or done anything unusual with their phone, but they have lately noticed that many times, their phone won't ring, or they will go from full bars to none as soon as they try to make a call, and they have many more problems with calls being dropped. We have a signal repeater that acts like its fine, and worked for over a year, but the problem is just getting bad over the past couple of months. Any ideas for causes/ solutions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I have tried dialing *228, but instead of coning up with a roaming update for Verizon, it comes out saying welcome to alltel, and trying to do that update fails.
    Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Last edited by rellissc; 05-03-2012 at 10:52 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rellissc View Post
    Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of my parents. They have never rooted or done anything unusual with their phone, but they have lately noticed that many times, their phone won't ring, or they will go from full bars to none as soon as they try to make a call, and they have many more problems with calls being dropped. We have a signal repeater that acts like its fine, and worked for over a year, but the problem is just getting bad over the past couple of months. Any ideas for causes/ solutions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I have tried dialing *228, but instead of coning up with a roaming update for Verizon, it comes out saying welcome to alltel, and trying to do that update fails.
    Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    You check their signal repeater? If they have never rooted/flashed custom firmware/hacked their radio there should be no reason it is coming up with the alltel message if they are on VZW. Does their phone show on roaming or home network? If that issue is occuring near their signal repeater I'd be willing to bet the repeater is picking up an alltel tower rather than VZW, and since its stronger than the home network tower its kicking them onto roaming.

If everything checks out on the signal repeater and/or everything checks out showing its on home network, I would still try the *228 in an area away from the signal repeater, just to ensure that's not conflicting somehow. If you can ensure that, then I'd say their radio is acting up and/or hardware is acting up. Your best bet for *possibly* fixing that up would be to flash an SBF via RSD Lite so it rewrites the radio to make sure everything is *factory*. That should be your last step though. If you do the SBF and its still dropping signal, near the repeater and also out of its network, and you are able to update *228, then its a hardware issue I'd say. If they are on the latest system version (.621) the new radio that comes with it has been known to work a lot better than the old radio, so they shouldn't be having these issues.

That being said, a LOT of people had trouble even getting the OTA to take, so I'd definitely recommend the SBF if all else fails cuz something mighta got botched there. I'm on the latest update (now mind you I'm running ICS, not stock) but still I have none of those issues.

However, more than anything I'm betting there's something going on with that repeater, so I'd definitely test it without that in the equation first, and making sure you are on Verizon towers before attempting the *228 update. Especially since you get the alltel message, definitely makes me think its roaming and/or that repeater is picking up the wrong tower.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you Goose. That is pretty much what I had started to figure . I should be able take the repeater out of the equation now sinc my graduation from college has come and gone, and we can afford to go without signal for a little if need be. Frankly, the issue had slipped my mind until I saw that you replied to it. If for some reason, it does turn out to be a problem with the .621update, i need to make sure I use the ..621 sbf, not the slightly older one that I was using for mine, right?

Remove Ads

Ads