Unrooted X2 stuck at boot screen

This is a discussion on Unrooted X2 stuck at boot screen within the Droid X2 Support forums, part of the Droid X2 Forum category; My brother woke up and his Droid X2 was unresponsive, stuck at the boot screen. It's got the stock operating system, only a different homescreen ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unrooted X2 stuck at boot screen

Unrooted X2 stuck at boot screen

My brother woke up and his Droid X2 was unresponsive, stuck at the boot screen. It's got the stock operating system, only a different homescreen etc. The red eye boot animation is just playing on loop, as well as the green light flashing like when you have a missed call. The thing isn't showing up in DDMS, the SD card is not accessible. The screen won't turn on via the power button, it will only turn back on if I unplug/replug the charger. I've tried booting it with and without the SD card with no change in behavior.

I'd like to be able to save his data, any info on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Technician X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    That's a bootloop and when it happens to me, I fix it with a factory reset, which causes you to loose the data stored on the phone. You can pull the SD card out and read it using a computer. That will allow you to back up anything on the card. But as far as contacts, text messages, and other thiings stored on the phone, you'll loose those if/when you do a reset.

Hopefully someone from the Rescue Squad who is familiar with the X2 will fix you right up.

Damn, that's a shame to hear. For future reference, what kinds of things cause these and how can he prevent it from happening again?

Oh, so minor update. After hearing that, I decided to screw around with it a little more. While holding down some combination of buttons (power, home screen, volume etc.) I was taken to the lock screen. I could see the status bar, it had all the regular info, but it's not responding to any button presses or touching the screen. It says "No Service" as well. The status bar shows a USB connection, but it's still not showing up in DDMS and the SD card is still not accessible.

Very odd, to say the least.

Technician X
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    You would perform a factory reset by entering into stock recovery mode. On the DroidX2, I'm not familiar with how to do it, but I'm sure it's oulined here somewhere. Bascially, you'll pull the battery and replace. Power the phone and hold some combination of keys and let go at a certain time. That will enter you into a primative operating system allowing you to choose factory reset.

Sorry for being vauge. I don't want to speculate on exactly what you should click since I don't have that phone. I'm just trying to give you a bit of info to chew since it's been an hour and nobody has helped you yet. Good luck someone nice will help you soon im sure.

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wbobeirne View Post
    Damn, that's a shame to hear. For future reference, what kinds of things cause these and how can he prevent it from happening again?
    I'm not sure what can cause phone data to be corrupt. I just fixed my in-law's droid eris though with the same problem. A factory reset can fix a lot of weird problems. What can you do to avoid needing that? don't use the phone (sorry for the toung and cheek). Seriously though, things just get corrupted some times. If your contacts are synced with your google account then there is really nothing to "loose" when you factory reset. All the pics, music, etc are stored on the card. Contacts are in google and will come right back when you log in. Apps should auto restore when you re-log into the market after teh factory reset. You'll loose whatever text messages you had, but that's about it.

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Well, gotta run. Again, the folks here will fix your phone brother's better than verizion can. There are about 1/100 the people here that use the X2 though so it may take some time. Give it a few hours and someone will get back with you. Good luck.

Bye.

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    I'm assuming you've already tried a simple battery pull to see if it boots up on its own. Lockups were common on 2.3.3 but after pulling the battery it'd boot normally. If you're still on 2.3.3 you really need to upgrade to 2.3.4.

Factory Reset Instructions

Power off phone
    Hold volume down
    Power on phone
    When "fastboot" appears at the top of the screen, release volume down.
    Tap volume down till the screen reads "android recovery"
    Press volume up
    When Andy the android and the triangle appear press volume up AND down simultaneously.
    Volume up and down are "arrow keys" power button is "enter"
    Select factory reset, yes, after it's finished select reboot.

Sent from my Android device.

Thanks for the instructions, his phone is up and running again. Shame that this happens randomly, though.

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wbobeirne View Post
    Thanks for the instructions, his phone is up and running again. Shame that this happens randomly, though.
    Check and see what version he's running, like I said before that was common in 2.3.3 but 2.3.4 should have fixed it so he's likely still running an old version

Sent from my Android device.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads