[GUIDE] How to SBF an X2

This is a discussion on [GUIDE] How to SBF an X2 within the Droid X2 Support forums, part of the Droid X2 Forum category; By following the instructions of this guide you are attempting to flash the system partition with a leaked Motorola sbf file and flashing utility called ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] How to SBF an X2

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times

[GUIDE] How to SBF an X2

By following the instructions of this guide you are attempting to flash the system partition with a leaked Motorola sbf file and flashing utility called RSDlite. This process is for Windows operating systems and the Motorola Droid X2 only. www.droidxforums.com and myself hold no responsibility what so ever for what you choose to do or not do to your device. This is a use at your own risk guide!!! That being said. If something does go wrong the many fine people here will do their best to help you get things set straight again but not every problem can be solved and there is always a risk of bricking your device (making it a $600 paperweight) whenever you attempt to modify it yourself in anyway.

UPDATE 31/12/11 1KDS updated his Linux iso to now include rooting and install bootstrap options, very cool stuff.

UPDATE: 1KDS has created our very own automated Linux sbf iso disc. This is an easier solution than the one the guide uses, the end result is the same but the Linux disc is a portable solution and no programs or drivers need to be installed. Simply download one file, burn to a disc with Windows 7 or an iso burner OR use a USB thumb drive, reboot your computer and sbf your X2! Once you've created the disc or thumb drive you can sbf anywhere you've got any computer, the disc/drive, phone, and USB cable with nothing to download or install! Full instructions and download link can be found HERE!

UPDATE: I've updated this guide to use the newer 2.3.4 SBF file. The Pictures do not reflect the new file name but still show you everything you need to know. Just imagine the newer file name is there in place of the old one in the pictures.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED!!! (SOFTWARE)

RSDlite 5.3.1 and 5.1 Windows 64bit and 32bit zip http://www.mediafire.com/?txg5v0islqd5i0p

Droid X2 Gingerbread 2.3.4 Motorola SBF zip file http://www.mediafire.com/file/sfyo8q...1FF_01.sbf.zip

WinZip or other comparable decompression software. Use what your familiar with, if you've never used decompression software I suggest WinZip. It's relatively easy to use and has a free trial period. To find WinZip or any other decompression software try googling "unzip program" without quotations.

(HARDWARE)

A Motorola Droid X2 WITH 100% BATTERY CHARGE!!! And that either malfunctions due to software problems or for some reason you wish to return it to a factory state (just like it was when you took it outta the box)

The USB charging/transfer cable (One end is standard USB the other microUSB)

A Windows XP or higher computer.

Comfy Chair, perhaps a nice cold beverage, and about 1 hour of free time.

ALL RIGHT, I DOWNLOADED RSDLITE, THE SBF FILE, A DECOMPRESSION PROGRAM IS INSTALLED AND I HAVE EVERYTHING HERE IN FRONT OF ME, NOW WHAT?

Now we get to business...
    1. Open your decompression software and unzip both files, RSDlite & drivers and the sbf file, make sure to place the contents in an easy to locate folder such as your desktop or create a folder in C:\ called X2 for example.
    2. *NOTE if you've previously installed the correct Motorola drivers for the X2 you may skip this step* Navigate to your unzip folder and find the 2 driver installation files, one will be labeled Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.1.0_32bit and the other Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.1.0_64bit, double click the appropriate file in regards to your Windows system. This is start the drivers installation process, follow the prompts until it is complete. Once it's finished installing...
    3. Go back to your unzip folder and find RSDLite5.3.1 this is another installation file, double click it and follow the prompts until the software is installed. After that...
    4. Reboot your computer, this step isn't entirely necessary but I find it's better to be on the safe side and a simple reboot can save some headaches in the long run. Once you're back up and running...
    5. Goto your start menu and open RSD Lite. You should see a window like this:rsdlite.JPG
    6. Now you'll need to load your unzipped sbf file in RSDlite, do so by clicking the "..." top the right of the top blank field highlighted in this picture:rsdlitebutton.jpg
    7. A file manager will open, use it to navigate to where your unzipped sbf file is, it should be 821MB in size, double click to open it. If it doesn't show up at all you may have forgotten to unzip the sbf file. Do so now and try opening it in RSDlite again. If the file is NOT 821MB you most likely have a bad download and you will need to re-download the file. Because this file contains all the information to flash the operating system on your phone it is very important that you get a good copy so please check the file size before continuing.
    8. After opening the sbf file some general information about the file should populate the right hand window in RSDlite, now looking like this:rsdlitefileopen.JPG
    9. Next you will need to plug the USB cord into the COMPUTER ONLY
    10. With the X2 in a completely POWERED DOWN state, press and hold the volume up button on the top right hand side of the phone. While still holding the volume up press and hold the power button until the screen turns on. At the top of the screen you should see "Starting RSD protocol support" once this text appears you may release the volume up button.
    11. Now plug your X2 into the other end of the USB cable that you previously plugged into the computer. RSDlite should now recognize your phone as an attached device as shown here:rsdlitephoneconnected.JPG
    12. Now you're ready to actually flash the partition, you may do so by clicking on the start button in RSDlite. This process will reboot your phone several times and RSDlite will update a % several times, in other words it will read 100% more than once. Don't be scared, this will take some time and seem very strange if it's your first time doing it. Total time should be about 15-20 minutes. When its finished...
    13. The Progress field in RSDlite will read "please manually reboot this phone" and you should be at the lock screen on the X2 if this is the case, unplug the phone from the USB cable, power it down and proceed to step 14. If you are experiencing a boot loop you will need to remove the battery for several seconds, reinstall it and leave the phone turned off.
    14. At this point you're almost home free, what you'll need to do next is called a Factory Reset or a Data Wipe. To accomplish this make sure the phone is off, press and hold the volume down button, continue to hold it while pressing and holding the power button. After the screen turns on you may let go of the power button. When the top of the screen reads "Fastboot" you may release the volume down button.
    15. Press the volume down button, this changes the options shown at the top of the screen, keep pressing volume down until the text at the top of the screen reads "Android Recovery". If you go past "Android recovery" don't worry, just keep pressing volume down till you come back to it. When it does read "Android recovery" press the volume up button. The screen will read Entering Recovery Mode. You now should see a triangle and Andy (the android mascot) when you do press both volume up and down buttons simultaneously. You should now see the stock Android recovery menu.
    16. Using the volume buttons (up for up, down for down) highlight wipe data/factory reset and press the power button, next you'll be shown a lot of "No" and one "Yes -- delete all user data" highlight and select yes. This operation will take a few minutes and when it's finished you'll find yourself back at the main Android Recovery menu. Highlight and select "reboot system now". Once its booted up...
    17. Here it is, the last step!!! All you need to do now is reactivate your phone. Normally this option will be presented to you during setup, sometimes it is not. If it isn't you have 2 options either A) connect via WiFi to setup your Google account, afterwards you will be able to access the dialer and dial *228 and chose option 1. OR B) If WiFi is not available and you're not receiving a 3G signal back out of setup and use the "emergency dialer" but don't call 911!!! Call *228 and chose option 1. Your 3G signal should return in a few minutes and you'll be able to proceed with setup as normal.

Afterwards use zergRUSH or Petes Motorola Root Tools to gain root access if you wish to do so.

*EDIT If you wish to bypass the activation screen it can be done by pulling the battery at the "Touch the Android to continue" screen, re installing it and rebooting. Then the INSTANT Andy (the Android mascot) appears tap on him fast. This should then bring you directly to the TOS agreement. Thanks to Nemo aeternamn for pointing this out.

I hope you found this guide helpful, informative and precise. Any questions can and will be addressed in the thread below and happy modding!!!

Cheers.

UPDATE: Wugfresh has kindly streamlined most of this process, by downloading his installer you can pretty much go through steps 1 - 12 in one click! Download here > WugPacked X2 SBF WugFresh

Special thanks to Wugfresh for putting this together! You rock!
    Last edited by juhde; 12-31-2011 at 03:46 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    321 times
    Nice write up!

[Insert mobile sig here]

DroidXForums Guidelines of Conduct
    Show Your Support and Become a Supporting Member Today!

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

X Operative
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hey does anyone know...it wont install the drivers because it says a newer version of those drivers is already installed...is that from when I rooted previously? do I need to uninstall the drivers from when I rooted?

X Operative
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I am going to uninstall the 5.2 drivers...in hopes that I need the 5.1 drivers mentioned in this write up...and not the 5.2 drivers I uinstalled for rooting....i hope I am on the right track!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    321 times
    If you had drivers already installed, then you don't need to install the old ones or re-install them. Just skip that part of the guide and get right to the SBF process.

DroidXForums Guidelines of Conduct
    Show Your Support and Become a Supporting Member Today!

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    well I had already uninstalled the 5.2 drivers...and installed the 5.1 from this write up...I figured that would be fine. but when I got to the part of the write up where SBF asks you to reboot your phone...my phone wasn't on the lock screen like it said...it was on the ANDY guy.....so it would seem a factory reset already took place.... but I tried to just complete the steps anyway...I unplugged my phone, and shut it down, and booted up into the fast boot mode...but my phone is totally frozen on the motorola logo and with the fastboot at the top of the screen....any suggestions?

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    So...am I now the proud owner of a 600 dollar paperweight?

Sent from my Droid using Droid X Forums

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    I'm afraid I don't quite follow exactly where you're at. During the sbf process at no time will it take you to stock recovery, so I'm assuming you did complete the rsdlite process and now your in stock recovery. All you should need to do from that point is factory reset. If this isn't the case, from the point where you are, meaning you see fastboot, try pressing volume down till you see rsd protocol. Then press volume up. From there re do the
    sbf as per the guide when you boot into rsd mode and connect the phone.
    Sent from my Android device.

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Worst case scenario blue, let me finish dinner and I'll walk you through it over Skype/telephone if you don't get it fixed. Just pm me so I'll know what's up.

Sent from my Android device.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads