New to the Android World with a Few Questions

This is a discussion on New to the Android World with a Few Questions within the Droid X2 Support forums, part of the Droid X2 Forum category; I just recently recieved a new Droid X2. I had it for about 15 days before it just stopped working so they sent me another. ...

Thread: New to the Android World with a Few Questions

X Lurker
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New to the Android World with a Few Questions

I just recently recieved a new Droid X2. I had it for about 15 days before it just stopped working so they sent me another. The guy at verizon so nicely set up backup assisstant and my gmail contacts so I now have doubles, triples, and quadruples of contacts. I've done a bit of research and was wondering if I could just wipe my contacts list and only add one account back?

My other question is towards the messaging app handcent. I found some great reviews on this site and downloaded the app. My only question is can you edit the "message bubble" size. They only seem to fill up half the screen, while the default messaging app on the phone stretched the whole screen. It may seem unimportant but I simply prefer not having these blank spaces between messages. I'd upload some screenshots but my phone isn't rooted so no dice there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstrike099 View Post
    I just recently recieved a new Droid X2. I had it for about 15 days before it just stopped working so they sent me another. The guy at verizon so nicely set up backup assisstant and my gmail contacts so I now have doubles, triples, and quadruples of contacts. I've done a bit of research and was wondering if I could just wipe my contacts list and only add one account back?

My other question is towards the messaging app handcent. I found some great reviews on this site and downloaded the app. My only question is can you edit the "message bubble" size. They only seem to fill up half the screen, while the default messaging app on the phone stretched the whole screen. It may seem unimportant but I simply prefer not having these blank spaces between messages. I'd upload some screenshots but my phone isn't rooted so no dice there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Okay, lets address each issue on it's own. First the contacts.

Back up assistant is worthless (in my opinion) and should be ignored. Step one: login to gmail on a computer and make sure your contacts are correct there (no duplicates, etc). If there are problems, correct them. Step two: on your phone goto settings> accounts, tap
    Backup assistant then tap remove. I've never done this but it should clean up your contacts. If it doesn't then a factory reset will, unfortunately it will also remove any apps so you'll have to set everything up again if a factory reset is needed.

Your handcent problem is much easier. Open handcent, press the menu button and goto settings> custom style> bubble settings> conversation style and choose one you like.

Cheers

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    100_9182.jpg
    I'm hoping I loaded this photo properly.

Thanks for the quick response. I was really hoping to avoid the factory reset. It seems everytime I get my phone setup i need to reset and start customizing all over agin lol

I don't think I oculd clearly described my Handcent question. In the picture the left side is my current handcent set up, the right is the stock messenger. I was wondering if handcent can be edited so the bubbles stretch across the whole screen instead of stopping short? I also sent Handcent an inquiry but they have not responded yet. If this isn't a current option, maybe they can include it in an update.

X Informant
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If I remember right, gosms has a list view option that looks more like stock. I didn't really like handcents bubble or list view to be honest. Have you tried list view instead just to see if you like it more?

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    I know what you're saying about the bubbles, but handcent doesn't currently do what you want. It more or less mimics iphone texting and that's the way the iphone looks. You could try as I suggested and set the style to "android" but that actually takes the bubbles out all together, it's how messaging used to look a version ago. The bubbles are actually fairly new lol.

I know what you mean about factory resets, hopefully you'll be able to delete the backup assistant account and you won't have to. Actually that was one of the main reasons I rooted, getting stuff back the way you like it is easier and you spend so much time flashing new things, messing stuff up and having to sbf and reset that you get really really fast at it lol. I can take my phone from stock and empty to rooted gingerbread and setup just the way I like it in about 20 minutes now. Loooooots of practice lol.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah I tried it out for a bit. Handcent seemed a bit more streamlined and simpler to use to me. I'm not a complete fan of the bubbles like the iphone (and current Handcent theme) thats why I want to be able to stretch them across the screen so its like a bubble/box. I know it makes little sense right lol

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I want to root my phone because the customization possibilities are endless and the backups help with the resets a lot.

I just have bad luck with phones. My X2 I had for 15 days before I had to get a new one and then another 7 days before I got my third phone. So until the warranty is up I don't want to give Verizon any reason to screw me out of getting replacements.

After that I figure the rooting will be virtually flawless since the phone will have been out for some time.,

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    It's 99% safe for you to root right now. We have a functional sbf file so anything you do that "voids" your warranty can be undone if you need to ship the hardware back. If you want to venture into the land of root, visit my thread called pre rooted gingerbread 2.3.3 in the x2 hacks section.

Remove Ads

Ads