[ROM][DX2] MinimalX

This is a discussion on [ROM][DX2] MinimalX within the Droid X2 ROMS forums, part of the Droid X2 Hacks category; Droid X2 Minimal X v. beta 2.0 *Disclaimer* This is a beta build of this ROM. It is mostly stable, but hasn't been thoroughly tested ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: [ROM][DX2] MinimalX

Developer
    Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

[ROM][DX2] MinimalX

Droid X2

Minimal X

v. beta 2.0

*Disclaimer* This is a beta build of this ROM. It is mostly stable, but hasn't been thoroughly tested by anyone but myself. I decided to release it publicly due to the lack of current ROMs for users to flash. I expect general feedback based up what is currently in the ROM and what I can do to improve it. For legal reasons, flashing this ROM is based on your own decision, if it causes any mishap with your phone, feel free to message me and I will work with you to fix it, but I am in no way responsible for anything you do.

Not a whole lot of time to type this up -- I plan on editing when I have more time and as the build progresses.

This ROM is mostly debloated. Some bloat is left for general function of the phone. I tried to leave any bloat application that applies function to the phone that is otherwise inaccessible. This makes it an awesome base ROM for anyone who wishes to develop.

There are also many edits to system files such as the build.prop, apks, framework, etc. These edits are mostly performance based enhancements, but there are some visual changes as well. I plan on continuing the theme on this ROM based on user input. I may also consider converting back to stock theme and allowing flashable themes for those who wish to have more options. Themes that have been previously created for the Droid X2 (so far, I believe there are a total of three posted at XDA) should be flashable over top of this ROM, but I am making no guarantees. Also added is a sleep mode (accessed by holding power) which lowers power consumption, and turns off wireless signal -- The device is able to be accessed again by holding power. In general, it allows for maximum battery conservation compared to turning off the device.

TLDR;
    • Bloat removed
    • System edits
    • Framework edits
    • Much more...

In future updates, I plan on doing what you, the consumer, wants to happen. Firstly, I plan on cooking SuperCharger into the ROM. And hopefully, in the near future, I can figure out how to overclock this beast.

As for performance, this ROM runs great. I average around 3000 in Quadrant and in AnTuTu Benchmark, I average around 4750.

This ROM is optimized for performance, but doesn't lack on functionality. I hope you all can find great use of it and enjoy the work I have done.

Instructions:
    1. Gain SuperUser access by rooting your device via Gingerbreak.apk
    2. Install recovery
    3. Move ROM (.zip) to external SD card
    4. Boot into Recovery using the APK
    5. [optional] Clear Data/ Factory Reset
    6. [optional] Clear Cache
    7. Choose Install .zip from SD
    8. Choose SD card
    9. Navigate to the ROM (.zip)
    10. Confirm install
    11. Reboot once installation is complete
    12. When rom boots, be sure to firstly make your default keyboard something other than "Moto input method" (explained later)
    13. Enjoy!
    I plan on adding more detailed instructions at a later date...

Known issues:
    • User must change keyboard away from "Moto input method." This keyboard was removed from the build, but hasn't had all traces cleared yet. It will not appear due to most of the structure and APK being removed.
    • Charging battery animation is default
    • Browser search function is faulty. To fix, please install Google Search from the Android Market.
    • Calendar sync seems to be an issue due to the removal of the Calendar Sync apk by accident in this build. It will be returning. If you wish to restore calendar sync before the update, the two files you will need are: BlurCalendarProvider.apk AND BlurCalendarProvider.odex
    • Some users are reporting the contacts menu repeatedly opening on random. I do not know the exact cause of this, but it is rare. In the case that it does happen, try wiping data and cache and re-flashing the ROM.

Please let me know of any additional issues you run into!!!

Otherwise, enjoy your DROID X2!

Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

For those wanting some /system/app/ items back,
    Download Stock Applications

This is NOT flashable... yet.
    This is a simple .zip that contains all the /system/app/ items in case you wish you restore them. To restore an system, simply unzip the file, move the desired file to your phone/SD. Make sure R/W is enabled, and move the desired files to /system/app/
    Hope this helps some in a temporary fix to your problems.

Lastly, I develop for fun, but if you feel it necessary, donate to the cause.
    Actually, we could make this into a fun drinking game. My 21st birthday is August 1st. I plan on getting $**t housed all day and all that weekend. If you donate, before August 6th, your donation funds will go strictly towards alcohol. If you donate, feel free to message me with what you wish for me to purchase with that given cash (note: if you want something specific, please donate that specific amount, otherwise, it'll probably go towards some PBR). I'll try to take pictures of the drinks before and after (depending on how wasted I am) and I'll message those who donated, or anyone who requests, with what kind of damage was done. Haha, I have some experience under my belt, so, don't take it easy. This should be fun.

Happy Android-ing to everyone!

May the Droid X2 prosper!

This post is not subject to perfect grammar; no one really cares. Enjoy the ROM!
    Last edited by c21johnson; 07-19-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    glfw1bldegl likes this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Awesome! Thanks for posting! I will go ahead and delete my thread I had created for you.

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So, dumb question, but what is the blue triangle in the notification bar?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick1300 View Post
    So, dumb question, but what is the blue triangle in the notification bar?
    A non-activated signal.

On the go, expect short posts
    c21johnson likes this.

Technician X
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    I don't have a X2 but man its great to see some devs working on it, and hopefully more to come. I'd like to hear from any DX2 owners who are running this rom to let me know has its going (Running) and stuff

From my Simply Stunning X

Developer
    Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Someone requested the stock wallpaper used in this ROM earlier... I'm sorry, I forget what user it was and the post got buried. But here is the wallpaper!

I hope you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by K33pw1shen View Post
    None of the Widgets are required for me day to day (almost anything can be put back if you look for something similar on the market)) ...... I will definitely be donating..... I also plan to do basically the same thing Droidmodderx does on YouTube with the walkthrus and reviews as soon as I get free time.... I will be including this in one of my first videos hopefully it will also generate some donations for you

X2R
    That was my thoughts when creating the ROM. If it wasn't able to be achieved by side-loaded Android Market applications, then it was more likely to stay -- given it wasn't completely worthless to the ROM or users. Unfortunately, some things, such as BlurCalendarSync were removed on accident, but in future updates, they will be replaced. I'm also looking toward getting a few AOSP applications to replace ones on the phone now. Hopefully this will add to the user experience and increase performance.

Once that video is posted, please link it here, and also message it to me. I will be sure to update my original post with it! Also, if you would like to message me your YouTube channel, I will sub, view, and like your videos!

Again, thank you very much for the support and feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by chrislewissd View Post
    flashed without wiping data or cache and its working great so far. I have noticed the search button isn't working but it works on a long press.
    Also thank you so much for making this rom!!

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you had success without wiping. It has already been reported about the search button. It is due to the removal of GoogleQuickSearch from the system. It will be replaced with the next update. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by 3UR0TR45H View Post
    Ok so after I recovered back to stock rom, I backed up all my contacts to google. I also testdrove a ton of calendar apps and the only one I found to work for me was Jorte. Wiped cache and flashed the rom and couldn't be happier now! Running my minimalist theme with launcher 7 and it is fast and beautiful!

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

Good to hear! So, I'm assuming your themes have flashed over flawlessly? If you would like, I would love to add a section of my original post dedicated to you and your themes. I will give full credit, of course. Appearance is a big thing in the consumer world, and I would like all users to be able to use a theme that is pleasing to them.

Quote Originally Posted by slowz3r View Post
    is the bootstrapper .apk included in the rom so we still have access to the recovery

Unfortunately, no. I'm not really sure what I was thinking not including this in the build. I was just excited to finally achieve a stable build and released it with a few things missing. Thanks for pointing this out. It will most definitely be added in an update.

Quote Originally Posted by DJJasonK View Post
    Like to have have google search and google + bar merged all I want off of google search is the mic for voice search. I would also like to see recovery left in and wireless tether with infrastructure mode. Keep it up and I will donate more. Power controls in the notification drop down would be sweet too.

Thank you for the feedback. I will do all I can to fulfill these requests as they are very good ideas. They are more difficult tasks to achieve, but I will most definitely be working vigorously to accomplish them and get them into a future update. Also, thanks for the donation, it is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Smackychops View Post
    Just in case anyone was looking for the Froyo Google Talk app:

Google Talk Download

Apparently, it was also considered "bloat"?

Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by LancerV View Post
    Anyones else'sback key not work

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

Ew, this is no good. I had never experienced this, but will look into it for you.

Could other users please test their back button and post the results? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by xfloggingkylex View Post
    "My backup root" backs up messages and call logs. "Super manager" backs up apks to your sd card, as well as a bunch of other things. Both free - as an alternative to titanium.

Sent from my LGB v0.9 Gingercomb Juiced DROID2

Thank you for posting these free applications. I was unaware with them. When I get time to update the original post, I will be sure to include them with direct links to the market.

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I wish you all a good morning/afternoon/evening/night -- which ever it may be.

EDIT:

Before I go to bed, I'd like to share my experience fishing today...

Last edited by c21johnson; 07-19-2011 at 09:53 PM.

X Informant
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 1.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quick question.. just downloaded your rom. Love it... how to I update my rom?? And why doesn't my google account sync my calender??

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by richgangsta41 View Post
    Quick question.. just downloaded your rom. Love it... how to I update my rom?? And why doesn't my google account sync my calender??

Make sure that Calendar is checked under My Accounts to sync it.

What do you mean update? When he releases an update, you'll have to download it, and install via custom recovery just like you did the initial ROM.

Developer
    Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    Make sure that Calendar is checked under My Accounts to sync it.

What do you mean update? When he releases an update, you'll have to download it, and install via custom recovery just like you did the initial ROM.

Thanks for covering this. As for sync though, in this build, BlurCalendarSync was accidentally removed. If necessary, you can download it from the link on the original post. You will have yo manually install it, but it should work. Sorry for the inconvenience, but that.ks for trying out the rom!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

X Informant
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 1.1%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My battery indicator says I have 100 percent. But my power widget says I have 80 percent. Why??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads