Dumb Question

This is a discussion on Dumb Question within the Droid X2 Hacks forums, part of the Droid X2 Forum category; I'm new to the world of droids and I was wondering if there was any way to root gingerbread other than sbfing and installing the ...

Thread: Dumb Question

X Informant
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Dumb Question

I'm new to the world of droids and I was wondering if there was any way to root gingerbread other than sbfing and installing the pre-rooted gingerbread file?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Technician X
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Nope.

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If you are running froyo (2.2.2), you can root with gingerbreak 1.2, install the recovery bootloader, and install P3's pre-rooted GB. If you are already running Gingerbread (2.3.3) then you will have to .sbf back to 2.2.2.

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    It sounds more intimidating and harder than it really is

root, roms and themes oh my!

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Agreed... if you can read and follow directions you can do this no problem.
    UPDATED - [HOW-TO] SBF back to stock Froyo, Update to P3Droids Pre-Rooted GB Update - xda-developers <-- Read and Follow

X Informant
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    oh yeah its so easily stated and i know i can easily do it, but i just dont want to wipe my phone. (I think that was one of the steps) I know I have my contacts backed up, but ive got a lot of music, apps (not just pointless ones either like school related ones), and general info i dont want to be cleared. and i know gingerbreak doesnt wipe your phone but factory resetting does. So im assuming that theres work being done on developing a gingerbreak for gingerbread? If so, how soon do you think thatd be?

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dechristimo View Post
    oh yeah its so easily stated and i know i can easily do it, but i just dont want to wipe my phone. (I think that was one of the steps) I know I have my contacts backed up, but ive got a lot of music, apps (not just pointless ones either like school related ones), and general info i dont want to be cleared. and i know gingerbreak doesnt wipe your phone but factory resetting does. So im assuming that theres work being done on developing a gingerbreak for gingerbread? If so, how soon do you think thatd be?
    there is no work being done to the OTA gingerbread because we have prerooted gb so the devs see no need. . Anything on the sd card will not be touched when flashing back to froyo, as for apps the apps themselves are stored through google just redownload them from the market..
    What type of info are you trying not to lose? Depending on what it is it can probably be backed up somehow.

root, roms and themes oh my!

X Operative
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dechristimo View Post
    You could also purchase Titanium Backup, the Pro version. It can backup all your user apps *and* data, as well as backing up your user dictionary. All your contact data will be stored on your user account.

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Before sbf'ing you may want to check out this thread. I rooted GB using P3DROIDS pre-root method so I cannot speak on this from experience, however for $2.99 it may be worth a shot if it saves you from sbf'ing. It was created by P3DROID so it should be legit, I'm pretty sure that Juhde was working with him on it, he may have some more information as he seems quite helpful and knowledgeable on these forums.

ATTENTION, P3 just released the AIO Installer!!!!!!!!!!!!

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So I have decided to root, but what are some of the main features of rooting, in froyo i ran the v6 supercharger and had several apps (titanium backup pro, drocap, and most the ones that superuser suggested), im just wondering what are more cool things to get with a rooted droid. And i know there are very limited roms at this point.

Remove Ads

Ads