Titanium BackupTricks/Tips/Help

This is a discussion on Titanium BackupTricks/Tips/Help within the Droid X2 Hacks forums, part of the Droid X2 Forum category; Ok, so I thought I would start a thread about Titanium Backup. So people can state any problems if any that they are having. And ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanium BackupTricks/Tips/Help

Agent X
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 2.5%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times

Titanium Backup Tricks/Tips/Help

Ok, so I thought I would start a thread about Titanium Backup. So people can state any problems if any that they are having. And where we can all pool our resources together to try to help eachother out. And also a place where people can offer tips and tricks also at the same time. I am hoping it will help the "vetrans" out as well as a good place for "noobs" as well. Because, let's face it, we all were noobs at one point. And if it wasn't for places like this we'd all be in a world of sh*t! Lol.

I was having this problem on my X1 and was still having this issue on my X2.

My issue was when I ran a batch to backup my apps and checked my backup, it gave me mostly data errors and some app errors. I am still having this issue on my X2.

After talking to Psychotic_Penguin, he tried to help. His suggestion was that if I hit "Problems?" in the app and download busybox (even though I obviously have busybox) that it will be a "working version.

I did that and went from 1.19 to 1.16. I am having this same problem. But wanted to post a thread for anyone who might be having this same issue, and maybe it will at least help them out, as Psychotic_Penguin said it solved his problem.

Hope you guys have better luck with it than I did.

And thanks again for Psychotic_Penguin for trying to take a stab at it for me. And if anyone wants to give thanks for a thread like this, he should get the thanks. Not me. It was his suggestion that I start a thread like this.

With the help of Nerdslogic, I was able to compile this into one thread. -Greatly appreciated.

How to use Titanium Backup. First off I posted this in the X2 forums as that is what phone I have. I really think we need a general "Applications" directory to post non-device specific information. Please move this to proper location if it should be else where and as soon as I know it's moved I will delete this part and start post with Very first thing I am going to recommend is to buy the pro version. Everything covered below is based off of that. EVERYTHING you see that has "batch" involved is only a pro version option. You will be doing everything one by one without pro and will seriously regret not getting it. I am going to do my best to explain how to use Titanium Backup correctly in my opinion. If you guys see anything inaccurate or more efficient please post in and I will update or add your methods as well. When you make the backup you should grab everything. This is what I do....

A) select "backup/Restore"
    B) menu key
    C) batch
    D) select "backup all user apps + system data"
    E) click "run the batch operation" This grabs EVERYTHING.

But when I restore....I do this
    B) menu key
    C) batch
    D) select "restore missing apps with data" and keep the "app + data" option selected this should show you only the apps that are not installed already.

If Google has restored some of those apps (or all of them) you can select "restore all apps with data" and then select "deselect all" then click the "data only" option....from there just select the apps you want to restore the data from (gmail, games, etc).

I always select "deselect all" no matter what I am doing as I don't always want the apps back or don't mind losing data somewhere. Not to mention I am not sure that using a third party application to restore a system app is a good idea....I just prefer doing "missing apps with data" after Google is done.

IF YOU ARE NOT on the EXACT SAME ROM on the EXACT SAME PHONE and you restore all system apps and data then you will have issues as stated in the FAQ section of their site. At that point you should select "only missing apps and user data". When I say same phone I am meaning same model....not same device. If you replace a DX with another DX basically. If you are on the same exact ROM and same phone then you SHOULD be able to do the following. I say should as I always just do what I posted above.

Sometimes if Google has replaced the apps I will go into "manage applications" and clear the data then use TiBu to restore it:

B) menu key
    C) batch
    D) select "restore all apps with data"

But keep in mind the chances of this happening are slim to none unless you have ALL the apps you need to root your phone (you should already be rooted because you won't be able ti use TiBu without being rooted), install Astro, or Root Explorer, and install TiBu without needing the market. Otherwise you are activating your Gmail account which in turn get's Google restoring your apps. So you might as well wait till it's done then download newest version of TiBu and restore with my method.

Yes....this is the second time I have said this The reason I say this is near impossible, there is there is no way to browse the root of the SD, or any directory other than the camera directory with the stock explorer....therefore I have to activate my account to download Astro in order to do the rest (Astro can browse without root, I believe, while Root explorer requires you to be rooted to use the app - in my experience. Period. I haven't tried placing Astro's apk in the camera directory yet but sometimes I can only see the "LOST" directory with the stock explorer.

Last thing to cover.

A) hit menu key
    B) select "Preferences"
    C) check the box for "Auto-sync TB settings."

This performs a backup of TiBu's settings which are automatically restored after a wipe of any kind. Providing of course TiBu is installed.

You can also look into making schedule's but I am not going to get into that right now.

You can get latest version of Titanium Backup in either the Android Market:
    market.android.com/details?id...TitaniumBackup
    Or a previous version's APK here:
    www.matrixrewriter.com/android/

You can get Astro in either the Android Market:
    market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro
    Or the APK here:
    http://www.forum.xda-developers.com/...6&d=1279143194

(Note - this is a zip file so you will have to extract the actual APK.)

Sent from my Droid X2 using Droid X Forum App with help from the little voices in my head.
    Last edited by firefighterguy; 06-27-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    "King Of The 'Self-Edit'"

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    To get the 1.19 back download Busybox Installed from the market, after it's installed kill TiBu and run Busybox installer, then open TiBu again it should be back to 1.19.

Now on to your problem since it's happening on 2 separate phones, it's got to be the app?

Where did you download it from and are you running free or pro?

Does it crash, or do anything else that seems strange?

Can you post up a screenshot of what it looks like after a backup if possible? For a working screenshot app head over to XDA and join up, then do a search for Screenshot ER and install that it works fine on the X2 and the Xoom as well if you have one.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by psychotic_penguin View Post
    To get the 1.19 back download Busybox Installed from the market, after it's installed kill TiBu and run Busybox installer, then open TiBu again it should be back to 1.19.

Now on to your problem since it's happening on 2 separate phones, it's got to be the app?

Where did you download it from and are you running free or pro?

Does it crash, or do anything else that seems strange?

Can you post up a screenshot of what it looks like after a backup if possible? For a working screenshot app head over to XDA and join up, then do a search for Screenshot ER and install that it works fine on the X2 and the Xoom as well if you have one.

I have been able to get 1.19 back up already. Thank you, though. I hope it will help others who are strugglig getting the most current back up).

I run Pro. I bought the license from his site since before the Pro version was available in the Market and keep the file on the root of my SD card. One thing I am thinking about trying is download a version from the net and see if the problems persist.

It is the only problem I am having with TiBu. Everything else is butter. I will look for and D/L Screenshot ER and post it for you. I hope I can get to it today. But it might be as late as tomorrow until I can get the pics up for you.

Fortunately I am a member of XDA and have been since (and I am showing my age here) ever since my days with WinMo! Lmao. So looking for it and D/L'ing it should be easy. ((Screen name is the same as here).

Sent from my Droid X2 using Droid X Forum App with help from the little voices in my head.
    Last edited by firefighterguy; 05-29-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Attached Images Attached Images

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    I stand corrected. I checked my own screenshot. It's mostly app errors. Not data errors. I need to lay off the crackpipe.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    I just ran a verification on my backup apps and had no issues. What I always do is install all my apps from the market, after any install. I've flashed more ROMs than any 2 people on this forum combined so I have a lot of experience. I too bought the license online and keep the license on my SD Card.

Installing the free app from the Market, the app picks up the license and unlocks it to the Pro version. So saying this have you uninstalled your current version and installing one fresh from the Market? I know this may sound stupid but sometimes starting from scratch is the best and easiest method.

If you've already tried this, and it failed I suggest you get in touch with the developer. In all my time I've never seen an error log like that and I've had TiBu on my D1, DX, TBolt and now X2.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    I just ran a verification on my backup apps and had no issues. What I always do is install all my apps from the market, after any install. I've flashed more ROMs than any 2 people on this forum combined so I have a lot of experience. I too bought the license online and keep the license on my SD Card.

Installing the free app from the Market, the app picks up the license and unlocks it to the Pro version. So saying this have you uninstalled your current version and installing one fresh from the Market? I know this may sound stupid but sometimes starting from scratch is the best and easiest method.

If you've already tried this, and it failed I suggest you get in touch with the developer. In all my time I've never seen an error log like that and I've had TiBu on my D1, DX, TBolt and now X2.

Thank you, sir. That is something I haven't thought of. I THINK I tried it by accident not knowing that it may work. But I should try this on purpose with his update he just pushed out last night.

I will keep you posted...

Last edited by firefighterguy; 05-30-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    Please do, looking forward to hearing if this worked

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    It is still a no-go. Would you mind telling me how you have your settings? I wonder if it's not how I have my settings se as?

"Patriotism is supporting your country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it." --Mark Twain
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by firefighterguy; 05-30-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    It is still a no-go. Would you mind telling me how you have your settings? I wonder if it's not how I have my settings se as?

"Patriotism is supporting your country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it." --Mark Twain
    I see you updated busy box, I didn't touch busy box (just kept what gingerbreak installed) titanium is working perfectly.

I also have the old school pro key so our setups should be identical.

Sent from my DROID X2

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads