with a droid x2 and deleted bloatware can't install Gingerbread

This is a discussion on with a droid x2 and deleted bloatware can't install Gingerbread within the Droid X2 General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X2 Forum category; After getting my droid x2 I rooted the phone and began freezing some of the bloatware. When I got the notification that the upgrade was ...

Thread: with a droid x2 and deleted bloatware can't install Gingerbread

X Lurker
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb with a droid x2 and deleted bloatware can't install Gingerbread

After getting my droid x2 I rooted the phone and began freezing some of the bloatware. When I got the notification that the upgrade was
    available I tried to install and each time it failed. I contacted VZ and the tech support was very patient with me and we tried everything possible from battery pull to safe mode (which didn't load). He then had me wipe everything off the phone and bring the phone back to
    factory. The apps that I froze with titanium backup didn't reappear and all the apps I downloaded from the market(free) were lost along with
    the ones I purchased. Since all of the monkeying around I found out that it looks like you can't delete any of the required apps if you want to upgrade to gingerbread. This restriction seems to doom all of us rooted droids to never getting rid of the bloatware. Where is the list of required apps and where can I down load them from? There are a lot of apps that show in titanium backup that are not on my phone.

Anybody else have these problems????

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 2.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    You can actually just sbf back to stock 2.2.2, then if you want root, install the preroot gb. All instructions can be found here.

X Operative
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    You should have tried unfreezing the apps with titanium before updating

X Informant
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victimssun View Post
    You can actually just sbf back to stock 2.2.2, then if you want root, install the preroot gb. All instructions can be found here.
    This! Once you SBF, I believe all the factory Apps will come back. Then root, install pre rooted gingerbread, then freeze away!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by keith04 View Post
    After getting my droid x2 I rooted the phone and began freezing some of the bloatware. When I got the notification that the upgrade was
    available I tried to install and each time it failed. I contacted VZ and the tech support was very patient with me and we tried everything possible from battery pull to safe mode (which didn't load). He then had me wipe everything off the phone and bring the phone back to
    factory. The apps that I froze with titanium backup didn't reappear and all the apps I downloaded from the market(free) were lost along with
    the ones I purchased. Since all of the monkeying around I found out that it looks like you can't delete any of the required apps if you want to upgrade to gingerbread. This restriction seems to doom all of us rooted droids to never getting rid of the bloatware. Where is the list of required apps and where can I down load them from? There are a lot of apps that show in titanium backup that are not on my phone.

Anybody else have these problems????
    If you still have your root access, you can use tenfars system recovery boot strap and P3Droids AIO update to get you to rooted gingerbread. Otherwise you'll have to sbf as previously mentioned.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by juhde View Post
    If you still have your root access, you can use tenfars system recovery boot strap and P3Droids AIO update to get you to rooted gingerbread. Otherwise you'll have to sbf as previously mentioned.

After looking at all the different advice I've received, some quite lengthy I've now asked myself why am I trying to go back to my
    original droid x2 on froyo 2.2.2 so that I can update my os. My phone is rooted and the phone is working. It seems to me that as many people who've rooted their phones there should be an easy way to install the new os without having to go thru all the mess of going back to retrieve all the original bloatware. Do we like the challenge of getting Gingerbread or do we just like to beat ourselves up?
    Removing the bloatware is one of the reasons we root our phones. Why is this requirement to have all of the bloatware installed in order to update? It seems to me that a rooted gingerbread update should not require the bloatware.

Agent X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by keith04 View Post
    After looking at all the different advice I've received, some quite lengthy I've now asked myself why am I trying to go back to my
    original droid x2 on froyo 2.2.2 so that I can update my os. My phone is rooted and the phone is working. It seems to me that as many people who've rooted their phones there should be an easy way to install the new os without having to go thru all the mess of going back to retrieve all the original bloatware. Do we like the challenge of getting Gingerbread or do we just like to beat ourselves up?
    Removing the bloatware is one of the reasons we root our phones. Why is this requirement to have all of the bloatware installed in order to update? It seems to me that a rooted gingerbread update should not require the bloatware.
    Like I said, if you don't want to sbf, use the TBH AIO installer, The only requirement is you're rooted.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've taken my phone back to factory (sbf??) enough times so am interested in tenfars. Will this bring up gingerbread rooted? Will this work if i've deleted system apps? where can I get tenfars and p3droids? is there a more thorough discussion of what will happen if I go this route? My phone is working now with 2.2.2 rooted. I do have some apps (soundback, talkback) that wont update. Is gingerbread worth all the effort?

Remove Ads

Ads