***What I did to solve wallpaper cropping issue***

This is a discussion on ***What I did to solve wallpaper cropping issue*** within the Droid X Wallpapers forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; I figured out that you cannot just download a standard size wallpaper that is 480 x 854 and put the whole pic on your x ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Smoove7

Thread: ***What I did to solve wallpaper cropping issue***

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

***What I did to solve wallpaper cropping issue***

I figured out that you cannot just download a standard size wallpaper that is 480 x 854 and put the whole pic on your x phone because the orange box will not fit around the whole pic.

But why? Well the reason is that if you use a pic that is 960 x 854 then the droid likes that and you can put the orange box around the full image. I am sure there are other reasons.

Let me also mention that this is for the phone in a vertical position with the on off button facing up. If you want to do this for horizontal position where the volume buttons are facing up, then you would need to do a little editing but the concept is the same from the instructions below.

So if you are the type that wants your image to stay on one screen and not move but you also want to be able to see your full 480 x 854 image and not have the sides cut off by the phone then you do this:

Get the app launcher pro and install. Here is a vid of launcher pro:

Then Click menu >Preferences> appearance settings and Disable wallpaper scrolling.

Then you have to have to trick the phone into still using the 960 x 854 pic but you center your 480 x 954 pic in the middle of that 960 x 854 template located here:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7...ndtemplate.jpg

Just take your 480 x 954 pic and place in the white part and then save the full image with the black parts on both sides as a jpg. Then put that saved pic into your phone and set as background. Now you can crop the whole pic and your pic shows up in the center of the screen and it does not matter that the sides are cut off because the sides are blank anyway.

There are probably better ways to do this but I thought I would try this.
    Last edited by Smoove7; 08-25-2010 at 07:08 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoove7 View Post

Just take your 480 x 954 pic and place in the white part and then save the full image with the black parts on both sides as a jpg. Then put that saved pic into your phone and set as background. Now you can crop the whole pic and your pic shows up in the center of the screen and it does not matter that the sides are cut off because the sides are blank anyway.

There are probably better ways to do this but I thought I would try this.
    Could you provide a bit more detail on how to use the template? TIA
    Droid X, Froyo, DarkSlide 4.2,
    Current Apps :Here

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well I personally use photoshop but you can do this in about any paint program. When you go to the link and see the template, right click and choose SAVE IMAGE AS and I save it to the desktop. Then I go into photoshop and open the template I saved. If you have a 480 x 854 pic that you want to use put that pic into the paint program as well. Then I move the actual picture over on top of the template and move it into place so that the white part is not showing. Your pic must be 480 x 854 to completely cover the white part. Once you have done that, save that complete image as jpg file. So you will have your pic and a black bar on each side of the picture. And there is your picture that you are going to put into the phone and set as your wallpaper. Put the orange box into the upper left hand corner of that pic once you have chosen to use it as your background and the orange box pops up. Then with the orange box in the upper left hand corner, drag the box to the lower right corner covering the whole picture, even the sides that have black on them. Lastly click on save and there you go.
    stevewitt likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    There is no issue when you use the correct size image.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ^^^^ Exactly. Unfortunately 480 x 854 is not the correct image size to be able to put the orange box around a full picture to use as your background, 960 x 854 is, and you just need to do a little editing to get the result you are looking for if all you have is 480 x 854.

I do apologize if I am unsure but if there is a way to get that orange box to fully go around a 480 x 854 image then if would be useful to know that information.
    Last edited by Smoove7; 08-27-2010 at 02:47 AM.

X Informant Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    There isnt a way to get it around the 480 by 854 you got the right concept right off bat!!

X Informant Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I downloaded an app called "Wallpaper Maker". It's $1.00 in the market but I think it's worth it. It allows you to crop things vertically as well as horizontally. The best part is that it stores the cropped wallpapers you create (you can also delete) so that you can switch back and forth. There is also a free app called crop wallpaper, but if you power down the phone or restart launcherpro, the image becomes distorted. With Wallpaper Maker it seems to hold the image nicely. You don't even have to change your settings in launcherpro for the vertical wallpaper (unless you want to anyway).
    I'm about to get my frozen yogurt. Now what?

Remove Ads

Ads